• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brad92

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Bleiblerville
    Hey guys,

I posted this on another forum (non gun) and got some good info, but also a lot of conflicting info and was referred here.

I am 18 years old and want to carry a handgun in my truck. I would keep a rifle in there, but I have a single cab and a lot of stuff behind the seats.

Now, I have read the gun laws stating that is legally allowed to carry a concealed weapon in their vehicle. There is not any age specified there, it just says adult. I am not a gang member and have never done anything to have a record with the police.

I understand that the federal laws say that I cannot buy a handgun from a FFL dealer, but Texas law says that I can buy from a private party as long as my intent is for self defense.

I go to Blinn College up in Brenham and the police are bad on campus. The law says I cannot have a gun within 300' of the school. Does include having it in my truck?

To sum it all up: my questions are, am I legally allowed to carry a concealed handgun in my truck? What about parking my truck on the college campus? If I get pulled over, do I need to tell the officer I have a handgun? (Thankfully, I have never been pulled over while driving, I have always been a passenger)

What other issues should I be concerned with?

I appreciate the help and sorry for my long post,
    -Brad
    Gun Zone Deals

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Man, you were given some good and some BAD info. We'll try to help.

Now, I have read the gun laws stating that is legally allowed to carry a concealed weapon in their vehicle. There is not any age specified there, it just says adult. I am not a gang member and have never done anything to have a record with the police.
    Actually the law that allows you to carry in your vehicle is silent as to age.

I understand that the federal laws say that I cannot buy a handgun from a FFL dealer, but Texas law says that I can buy from a private party as long as my intent is for self defense.
    Texas law says nothing about the purpose of your buying the handgun.

I go to Blinn College up in Brenham and the police are bad on campus. The law says I cannot have a gun within 300' of the school. Does include having it in my truck?
    Here is where you get into a situation. The 300' thing is a Texas law that ENHANCES the penalty for a gun crime if you are within 300 feet of a school. Federal Law makes it unlawful to possess a firearm within 1,000 feet of a school unless in your private residence or with a license from your state. The federal law is pretty much unenforceable. Only a federal LEO, or one sworn as a Federal Leo, could enforce that law. You are GTG under Texas law.

To sum it all up: my questions are, am I legally allowed to carry a concealed handgun in my truck?
    Under Texas law yes. Under Federal law you are in violation within 1,000 feet of a school.
    What about parking my truck on the college campus?
    Fine under Texas law. Check your college rules, if it is prohibited you could get expelled.
    If I get pulled over, do I need to tell the officer I have a handgun? (Thankfully, I have never been pulled over while driving, I have always been a passenger)
    There is no legal obligation for you to inform the officer.

Brad92

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Bleiblerville
    I appreciate this guys. Now, where is the best place to buy a handgun private party? I have tried a few places but with no such luck and would prefer it to be semi-local. I am basically between Houston and Austin, a few miles south of 290.

I was thinking about a 9mm handgun because they are small and cheap. What are your thoughts on this? I am going to the range in Houston with a buddy in a couple weeks, and they have guns I can rent to see what I like.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Gun show. Find a gun you like on one of the smaller tables not covered with brand new models, ask the guy if he is a dealer, if he says "no" take out your cash.

Patrón

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    San Antonio
    I appreciate this guys. Now, where is the best place to buy a handgun private party? I have tried a few places but with no such luck and would prefer it to be semi-local. I am basically between Houston and Austin, a few miles south of 290.

I was thinking about a 9mm handgun because they are small and cheap. What are your thoughts on this? I am going to the range in Houston with a buddy in a couple weeks, and they have guns I can rent to see what I like.
    IMHO you cannot legally own a pistol, therefore you cannot legally buy a pistol. your transaction would also make the seller break the law as well.

Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    I can't speak to the criminal laws in this area, but you sure might get yourself expelled if Blinn-der Garden U. has a rule about firearms on campus.

It is a very bad idea to leave a firearm in an unattended vehicle, particularly in a place with high risk for vehicle break-ins like a college campus parking lot. If you insist on doing so, please be responsible enough to install some means by which you can safely prevent the firearm from being stolen. One low-rent method would be to run a vinyl-coated bicycle cable lock through the seat frame/mounts and then through the firearm. Another way is to bolt down a metal ammo can behind or under your seat, and then padlock it shut. There are more expensive commercially-made options.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    It's perfectly legal for a private party to sell to someone 18 years old. As noted, it's the FFL's that'll get jacked up if they did so - and they won't. Lots of private owners will be nervous if they don't know the law, so it would behoove you to find a copy of it and have it with you so they can see it for themselves. Recently did a swap with one of our members that's attending college up in Austin. He "confessed" he was 20, and I told him that as long as he was a Texas resident and not a felon, we had no issues.
    But let me applaud you for taking the time and coming to a place like this to get authoritive info - TXI is purty oogly, but he's got his stuff together on the laws....(unless we're arguin' about 'em, in which case he's wrong....) icon_lolsign.jpg

Brad92

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Bleiblerville
    I don't live on campus and try and park in open and busy areas anyway. I have too much stuff of value in my truck not to take as many precautions as I can. Although out where I live, I do keep my truck unlocked at my house. If you saw where I live, you'd understand. Haha

Anybody know the gun shop in Brenham on Market Street? I haven't been in there but it looks small enough and old enough to maybe not be an FFL dealer...

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    IMHO you cannot legally own a pistol, therefore you cannot legally buy a pistol. your transaction would also make the seller break the law as well.

Neither Federal nor Texas law regulates the ownership of "pistols". The laws regulate the transfer, possession, sale, etc.

And has been pointed out, no law prohibits the sale or transfer of a handgun from a non-federally licensed dealer to a person under 18.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Sheesh - used to drive to school w/a 30-30 or 12 gauge in the back window of my truck. Never gave a thought to it - nor did the school, and never had someone even TRY to get it.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I don't live on campus and try and park in open and busy areas anyway. I have too much stuff of value in my truck not to take as many precautions as I can. Although out where I live, I do keep my truck unlocked at my house. If you saw where I live, you'd understand. Haha

Anybody know the gun shop in Brenham on Market Street? I haven't been in there but it looks small enough and old enough to maybe not be an FFL dealer...

Don't worry about leaving a gun in your car. There is a chance it could get stolen, but taking that chance is worth having a gun at hand if you need it.

Any gun shop would have an FFL.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Houston

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    When I was a kid in Chicago, I used to carry my .22 Mosberg rifle to school on the bus for rifle club shoots after school. We brought them to the range and locked them up during school. After school...........back on the bus with my rifle headed home.

Try THAT in today's Libtard climate!

Flash

Top Bottom