• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    Houston Texas
    When I was a kid in Chicago, I used to carry my .22 Mosberg rifle to school on the bus for rifle club shoots after school. We brought them to the range and locked them up during school. After school...........back on the bus with my rifle headed home.

Try THAT in today's Libtard climate!

Flash

that just blew my mind, i couldnt imagine that!
    Texas SOT

tcbeavers1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    NW Houston
    Can someone please show me on the books where it says an 18 yr old can buy a handgun from a private seller? I looked on the nra website and a few other places, but couldn't find it, but I may just have missed it. Thanks!

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Nutshell version:

Acquiring from dealers

Provided that federal law and the laws of both the dealer's and purchaser's states and localities are complied with:
    • An individual 21 years of age or older may acquire a handgun from a dealer federally licensed to sell firearms in the individual's state of residence.[5]
    • An individual 18 years of age or older may purchase a rifle or shotgun from a federally licensed dealer in any state. However, the applicant may not purchase a pistol gripped long gun that does not have a shoulder stock until he or she is 21 years of age.
    • It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer to sell, deliver, or transfer a firearm unless the federal firearms licensee receives notice of approval from a prescribed source approving the transfer.
    • Sale of a firearm by a federally licensed dealer must be documented by a federal form 4473, which identifies and includes other information about the purchaser, and records the make, model, and serial number of the firearm. Sales to an individual of multiple handguns within a five-day period require dealer notification to the ATF. Violations of dealer record keeping requirements are punishable by a penalty of up to $1000 and one year's imprisonment.
    • An individual holding a Curio and Relics License (officially a Type 03 Federal Firearms License (FFL); also called a C&R) may directly purchase firearms that are 50 or more years old from anyone AND any firearm officially recognized by the ATF as a Curio and Relic (C&R).
    Sales between individuals

• Federal law allows the sale of a long gun or a handgun between private parties of the same state as long as the purchaser is 18 years of age. An individual who does not possess a federal firearms license may not sell a modern firearm to a resident of another state without first transferring the firearm to a dealer in the purchaser's state. Firearms received by bequest or intestate succession are exempt from those sections of the law which forbid the transfer, sale, delivery or transportation of firearms into a state other than the transferor's state of residence.[6] Likewise, antique firearms are exempt from these sections of the law in most states. (Antique firearms are defined as those manufactured pre-1899 by US federal law, or modern replicas thereof that do not use cartridges. State law definitions on antique firearms vary considerably from state to state.)
    If you want me to find you the actual law... verbatim, I can look it up for you.

Brad92

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Bleiblerville
    I appreciate it. I'm still looking for handguns and researching.

Other than people not taking young people seriously, I really am content with being 18. I don't think I'd want to wish it away for a CHL.

jtriron

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    HoustonTexas
    First off thanks to the Law Enforcement Officers who contribute to this and many other threads here at TGT.
    My question is what is is the correct answer to an officer on the following :

I have no CHL / I am carrying a pistol in my vehicle that is registered to me and all legal ? / it is completely concealed and loaded / I have no wants or warrants / and have not been drinking / and let's say I changed lanes with no signal (sure most of us have done this once in a while) and am pulled over by the Houston PD or any major metro LEO agency.

The officer asks for the usual info. And then the 2 questions.
    #1 " Do you have anything illegal in you vehicle?
    I am thinking the correct answer would be No

#2 May I search your vehicle ?
    This is the real quesestion.
    If I agree / surly the LEO will find my concealed and loaded weapon, what are the consequences ?
    If I decline to be searched What then ?

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I have no CHL / I am carrying a pistol in my vehicle that is registered to me and all legal ?
    No gun registration in Texas. As long as you aren't a felon or a gang member or are committing a crime more serious than traffic violation the concealed handgun is legal.

The officer asks for the usual info. And then the 2 questions.
    #1 " Do you have anything illegal in you vehicle?
    I am thinking the correct answer would be No
    That would be the correct answer. I'm not aware that's a question cops ask, but whatever.

#2 May I search your vehicle ?
    This is the real quesestion.
    If I agree / surly the LEO will find my concealed and loaded weapon, what are the consequences ?
    If I decline to be searched What then ?
    Under no circumstances should anyone agree to a search, ever. If a peace officer asked me whether he could search my vehicle I would politely and calmly respond "no sir I do not consent to a search". Make sure to enunciate your words and speak loudly enough to ensure a good recording (just in case).

In case he searches anyway and finds your gun there will be no legal consequences since having the gun in your car is not illegal. If he has PC to search however, you could end up charged with unlawful carry in addition to whatever gave him the PC (example: he smells weed, searches, you get busted for possession, DWI, and unlawful carry).

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Police that work highway interdiction often ask, "Do you have anything illegal in your vehicle?" They are typically looking for the driver's reaction.

That's awesome. Hopefully soon they will start asking also "do you have anyone illegal in your vehicle?" LOL

Top Bottom