Guns International

Gun(s) on private boat or PWC on TX waterways - legal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    There is nothing in COE rules about loaded or not.

Yes it does, it clearly states in 327.13 which deals with COE property.

§ 327.13

Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks.
    (a) The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is prohibited unless:

(1) In the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer;

(2) Being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under § 327.8, with devices being unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites;

(3) Being used at authorized shooting ranges; or

(4) Written permission has been received from the District Commander.

But with the possession of ammo in the same sentence it might make no difference.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/COERulesPamphlet.pdf

I have read plenty where some interpret that carrying unloaded is permissible ( based I think on the transportation clause in (2) ), after reading the above link, I don't think I would without written permission.
    Lynx Defense

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Yes it does, it clearly states in 327.13 which deals with COE property.

But with the possession of ammo in the same sentence it might make no difference.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/COERulesPamphlet.pdf

I have read plenty where some interpret that carrying unloaded is permissible ( based I think on the transportation clause in (2) ), after reading the above link, I don't think I would without written permission.

Nice catch. That is 327.13 of what?

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I just spoke with the Game Warden and he said:

As long as you operate under TX hunting laws you are fine. That's when I mentioned I am a CHL holder and was not hunting. He went on to say ...

A boat is treated no different than an auto, if you are acting in a LEGAL (all inclusive) manner with OR without a CHL you can have a handgun on a boat (watercraft).

Also Lake Livington is governed by the Trinity River Authority so if there is nothing in their regulations TPWD is ok with carrying a handgun. I have not yet searched TRA regs.

Last edited:

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I just spoke with the Game Warden and he said:

As long as you operate under TX hunting laws you are fine. That's when I mentioned I am a CHL holder and was not hunting. He went on to say ...

A boat is treated no different than an auto, if you are acting in a LEGAL (all inclusive) manner with OR without a CHL you can have a handgun on a boat (watercraft).

Also Lake Livington is governed by the Trinity River Authority so if there is nothing in their regulations TPWD is ok with carrying a handgun. I have not yet searched TRA regs.

As I told you, if it is not a COE lake you can carry. In 2011 watercraft was added to section 46.02 as places that are not off limits.

PapaG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    Near College Station
    Feds have been after all water for years. Lakes, ponds, creeks, water wells . Basically all above ground and below ground water. Thank God they have not seceded with this.

That would make Fed law apply on everything

Top Bottom