• V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Time to revive this thread.......

Recently one om our large Cannon electronic gun safes became intermittently inoperable.....called Cannon, got it opened and was told not to relock it until new parts arrived. They sent a new keypad and solenoid which were not exact replacements and I had to drill and tap holes for both the keypad and the solenoid. Not a huge deal, but an inconvenience.....we only have the one electronic safe all of our other safes are mechanical. On another site I was discussing this with some of the members and they clued me in on how to retrofit the electronic keypad and solenoid for a mechanical dial.

This video was posted on how just unsafe an electronic safe can be........skip to the 3 minute mark...

I an going to retrofit ours with a mechanical dial type lock....

New Sentry Electronic Fire Safe Opened in Seconds with No Sign of Entry Video - YouTube

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Holy crap!

Just as another suggestion, as far as I'm concerned, safes THIS small are basically just a carrying case for thieves anyway. And all the valuables are already in it.

JonFrankMc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Ellis County
    Seeing all of these Cannon Safe failure articles/videos concerns me. I planned on picking up a 64 gun cannon from tractor supply this week but don't like what I'm hearing on the keypad. They have the EMP keypad that is a hybrid but I'm not sure I want to replace a lock on a new safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Any safe isn't thief proof. They are merely deterrents. But I always wonder electronic vs tumbler, etc. The thing about electronic locks is many of them have a giant key to get into safe in case of electric failure. That along worries me.

Sent from some where out there.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Apples and oranges until he does it with a gun safe I own. Let's see a more applicable video.

EDIT: As a matter of fact, I did some digging of my own. Mr. Locksmith, the man with the magnet in that video, recommends a UL listed lock. Guess what? Cannon safes use S&G locks, which are UL listed. The Academy Winchester safes use a LaGuard lock, which homeboy specifically says are good to go in this video:

Last edited:

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Seeing all of these Cannon Safe failure articles/videos concerns me. I planned on picking up a 64 gun cannon from tractor supply this week but don't like what I'm hearing on the keypad. They have the EMP keypad that is a hybrid but I'm not sure I want to replace a lock on a new safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well, hopefully I didnt get screwed. I am of the thought that if a determined theif has the time, nothing is off limits, but a large heavy gun safe sure makes it harder for a smash and grab, and my son is getting older and stronger (he is 4) and has friends that are older. My wood/glass gun case wouldnt do anything to protect from theft and it wont be long and my son and his friends will be big enough to get it open so I took advantage of the fathersday sale at tractor supply and purchased the cannon 64 gun safe. my goals were mainly to slow a theif down making it not worth the effort and to keep curious hands away (not as worried about my son as I am his buddies). also to give some kind of fire protection even if it wasnt much. hopefully I dont regret the purchase later.

50df224dd32d1ac5e7296a8ae6288fdb.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    well, hopefully I didnt get screwed. I am of the thought that if a determined theif has the time, nothing is off limits, but a large heavy gun safe sure makes it harder for a smash and grab, and my son is getting older and stronger (he is 4) and has friends that are older. My wood/glass gun case wouldnt do anything to protect from theft and it wont be long and my son and his friends will be big enough to get it open so I took advantage of the fathersday sale at tractor supply and purchased the cannon 64 gun safe. my goals were mainly to slow a theif down making it not worth the effort and to keep curious hands away (not as worried about my son as I am his buddies). also to give some kind of fire protection even if it wasnt much. hopefully I dont regret the purchase later.

50df224dd32d1ac5e7296a8ae6288fdb.jpg

That will serve the purpose you describe perfectly.
    Good price as well.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    That will serve the purpose you describe perfectly.
    Good price as well.
    thanks,

after looking at several different places, that was about the best bang for the buck I could find. It will be placed on the outside corner (inside the house) of the house furthest from the most likely sources of fire (kitchen, laundry, living room, etc) so hopefully the FD will get there in time (about 3 miles from the house) Fire is my least concern for the safe though. my main concerns were theft and kids. A theif would have to get it about 100' through the house, around corners and through doors to get it out. Im guessing it would take a good 15-20 mins to move it loaded down (about 1000 lbs loaded). no way for the kids to access it. the cabinet I had locks, but its just a cheesy turn lock that any determined kid could break without much effort.

I also picked up a quick access "safe" for the night stand to keep the kids out. I dont feel comfortable anymore with just putting it high enough they cant reach.

now if this dang rain woukd quit so I can get it home and installed. for those who have done it, what is the best way to move it over tile? Im thinking a sheet of 5/8 osb ripped in half with some trim strips down the sides and a bucket of golf balls. the strips would contain the golf balls and the OSB woukd protect the tile from cracking.

Top Bottom