Gun Safes for Needy Parents!!!

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by rushthezeppelin, Oct 22, 2013.

1. rushthezeppelin

rushthezeppelin TGT Addict

Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    So after this latest school shooting I decided I need to find a way I can personally impact this whole situation with kids with mental problems getting unsecured guns. While there are some gun owner parents that are just plain negligent I understand some probably just can't afford to secure their firearms especially in this economy.

Therefore I wanted to look into how exactly I would go about creating a Gun Safes for Needy Parents charity. I would like to try and find a template for how to set up a small local charity type thing like this. Anyone got any ideas on where I could start and how I could show potential donors that their money would go towards helping these people? I want to try and make it a 100% proceeds type thing, I'm willing to put in my own time and money for this. In addition perhaps we could setup charity shoots at local ranges to help spread the message to those of the gun community not on the internet.

Anybody interested in helping with this/have advice?

2. SR9TEX

SR9TEX Active Member

Sep 23, 2013
    They can't afford to buy a gun lock and put the gun in a high hard to get to place? Sounds affordable and smart. How did they afford a handgun if you consider them needy.

Hell, News said it was a Ruger seni auto pistol.It should have had a lock if purchased new..
  3. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Also gun locks are free almost everywhere.

You can give them everything needed but they must choose to use it.
  4. rushthezeppelin

rushthezeppelin TGT Addict

Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Still gun locks are unideal for your home defense weapon (not to mention sometimes kids are taller than their parents and can use a ladder). At least trying to help that dad, who could barely afford a Khar, get a biometric safe would be nice.

I've seen also some people do gun charity for the poor. Can try and get biometric safes out to those people.

Sorry if this doesn't seem like as awesome of an idea I thought it was, just trying to figure out a way I can personally help prevent these tragedies and get our gun rights back while also promoting small government free market solutions. So sick of sitting in my computer chair bitching and lamenting that we are in an uphill battle and want to try and make some kind of difference.
  5. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    A simple trigger lock would have stopped this - and no sign of one having been used. Sorry - but at some point WE are responsible for what goes on under our roof - not the rest of society.
  6. TundraWookiee

TundraWookiee Scruffy Nerf Herder TGT Supporter

Jan 9, 2012
    Lake Jackson
    Don't sit in the computer chair and bitch then. Get up and get out and advocate. Lead by example and educate the masses. Everyone who really knows me knows I'm a gun nut and also knows I'm knowledgeable about them and very safety conscious. People don't hesitate to ask me questions and I give them my honest opinion and advice. I offer to train anyone I come across that shows even the slightest interest and ask them to let others know I'm always happy to help. It may not be as grand a gesture as creating a charity or providing equipment but as Dawico put it, "You can give them everything needed but they must choose to use it." Most of these situations could be avoided by better judgement or by having the necessary knowledge that is required when owning a firearm in a household with children present.
  7. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    For about $100 you can buy a cabinet, padlock latch, and a padlock from Home Depot. Done.
  8. Texan2

Texan2 TGT Addict

Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I want someone to start a charity for the poor people who can't afford the ammo to be proficient shooters. After all, we would be safer if they had better aim and more practice.
  9. 4x4kayak2112

4x4kayak2112 Member

Jan 22, 2010
    highlands, Texas
    Maybe even a small wooden box with a pad lock. Easy to make, screw it to the floor or bed frame and keeps the younger kids away. But even a gun safe can't keep teenagers out. I found out my grandads digital code on his pretty quick (he had a stroke and couldnt remember it)

Im building a wooden cabinet, like a safe, for my long guns. I dont have much valueable guns and my carry piece is with me 24/7. It will be in my closet and bolted to the floor. When i had a metal cabinet, i lost the key, took a bfh and a bf-screwdriver. Few hits and it was open, if they really wanted "the good stuff" I have a home safe with my military medical record in it and a backup copy of windows 8.

Id be all for building a few gun boxes for the needy. Heck im a EMT and have a wife in nursing school and three little kids, id like a nice biometic safe.
  10. Shotgun Jeremy

Shotgun Jeremy TGT Addict

Jul 8, 2012
    Copperas Cove
    I've been thinking about making a wood box to transport my guns in. Open the top and there will be two dividers. At the top of each one will be U shaped grooves to set my rifles and shotgun in, on one end between the divider and side of the box, put in a block of foam with cutouts for my pistols, and use the rest for ammo storage, spare parts, and maybe put a target holder on the back wall.