Join TexasGunTalk

Gun Seller Question

Discussion in 'Austin' started by d3rrickh, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Since you had possession of it and it reads like you skirted a CA law buy a new lower (can be found for cheap now), move all the parts over, and destroy the original lower. Or just sell the parts except the lower.

Unless you can prove you moved out of CA before the law passed and received it from the original buyer before that date it could come back to haunt one of you if it ends up in the system again. That is a long shot but possible.

Honestly it just isn't worth the risk (though very low) when a new lower can be had for $40.

CyberWolf and Dad_Roman like this.
  2. Bozz10mm

Bozz10mm TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I'm not a lawyer, but you and the rifle are out of California's jurisdiction if you live in Austin. I don't believe you will have any problems with the ATF as they don't enforce state laws, just the Federal laws. Sell it, and don't worry about it. Or just keep it and don't worry about it. Or have it transferred to the new owner though an FFL. Just don't ever take it back to California.

3. SQLGeek

SQLGeek Vodak, The Choice of a New Generation TGT Supporter

Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    That part doesn't even matter. Nearly all private transfers in CA need to go through a dealer, where a NICS check is done, a California DoJ check is done and then a 10-day wait. Transfers between in-laws aren't exempt from this process.

A serial number trace will go right back to the BIL.

4. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I was just wondering about this earlier.
    I didn't know the "how to's" about California transfer process.

5. CyberWolf

CyberWolf Active Member

Aug 22, 2018
    US
    Haven't familiarized myself yet with that aspect of the law, but immedite family direct transfers/gifts are still allowed in CA, correct?

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say it was 'actually' a gift from his sister, who simply instructed her husband to do the work and get it to him? I mean, it was mostly hers anyway, being married in CA and all. ;)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  6. SQLGeek

SQLGeek Vodak, The Choice of a New Generation TGT Supporter

Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Yes but there's still a lot of minutiae you need to ensure is in order. I like Dawico's solution the best. California is ruthless when it comes to prosecuting otherwise law abiding gun owners.

CyberWolf likes this.
  7. SC-Texas

SC-Texas Moderator Moderator

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    My guess is that if you were out of California you don't have a lot to worry about

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

pharmaco, TxStetson and Bozz10mm like this.
  8. majormadmax

majormadmax TGT Addict

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Sell it to me and you can quit worrying about it! :usflag:

9. Renegade

Renegade SuperOwner

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Years of living in Kali has mushed your brain.

Your gun is no special snowflake, it is just another gun in Texas. Shoot it, sell it, whatever like any other gun. Its Kali history is irrelevant.

10. SC-Texas

SC-Texas Moderator Moderator

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    That is what I was trying to say

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Texasgordo likes this.