• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2018
    East Texas
    Anybody got some good stories about their experiences with gun shops or sporting goods stores? They can be funny, cool, head-scratchers, anything as long as they are interesting. (Please excuse me if this topic has already been discussed.)

I'll start with an old one and a recent one. Old one first.

I had just turned 21 and got a .45 from my dad for my birthday. I quickly shot the 50 rounds he gave me with the pistol and decided to go to Academy to get more ammunition. Back then my academy didn't have an aisle filled with ammo. You had to go to the gun counter and tell the guy there what you wanted and he'd get it for you. So I go up and say, "Could I get some .45 ACP ammunition please?" He responds with, "ACP or GAP?" I had never even heard of GAP at that time so I said, "ACP...what's the GAP rounds look like?" His response was, "Well if you don't know the difference you shouldn't be buying ammunition." I informed him If I have never heard of a round before I wanted to look at it so I'd know what it was and there was no need to be a jerk about it. That experience sticks with me to this day. Instead of educating someone he tried to berate them.

Last story happened a month or two ago. I went to the gun show with my son, a co-worker, and his son. My son is 5 and my co-worker's son is 16. At some point my co-worker goes to the snack bar to get a drink while I'm with the two sons looking at guns down the aisles. We go to a very large booth filled with pistols. I see a CZ Rami there and stop to look at it. My 5 year old knows to only touch a gun I hand to him so he's standing patiently beside me while I look at it. He asks me if he can see it. I tell the man at the booth that I want to buy it and gesture towards my son to come closer to the table so he can see it. The worker says, "Ok, but you better not touch my guns." My eyes go from my son to the man, thinking he was telling me not to touch the gun I was buying. He was looking directly at my son. This buffoon thought it was a good idea to try to scold my 5 year old for reaching for a gun I was handing to him. I sat the gun down and told him he lost a sale. I also let him know the consequences of saying another word to my son. After we walk away from the table I ask the 16 year old if maybe the guy was kidding and maybe I over reacted. 16 year old says, "nope...that dude was being real douchy."

So ends my stories for the day. I got a couple lighter ones I'll save for later on. Don't wanna write a book.
    Venture Surplus ad

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Local gun shop is owned/operated by a guy who is, frankly, an arrogant jerk.
    One day I was in his shop when this guy walks in with a Glock pistol he wanted to sell. Seller shows gun to owner.
    Asks $X amount for it.
    Owner lowballs the guys obscenely low so seller says no. Seller puts his Glock back in the case and goes outside.
    Another customer was standing there and follows seller outside. He tells seller he would purchase the Glock at sellers asking price.(which was a very good price).
    Seller and Other customer are doing the deal when Owner sees this through the window. He blows up. Runs outside and starts yelling at these two guys.
    At first the Seller and Other customer were taken aback and speechless. Owner started running his mouth a bit too much and the Other Customer(who was a pretty big guy) became angry told him he had his chance and he better STFU or he was going to get his ass beat. Owner backed down when the big guy advanced on him. LOL.
    This same shop owner was stabbed by a customer some years later. LMAO.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Years (decades) ago I was in a pawnshop late in the evening and a lady comes in to sell a charter arms bulldog pug in .44spl. The pawnshop guy lowballs her at $60 and she is astonished, well actually dumbfounded and starts to pack up to leave. I offer her $80 with no hassle and she accepts. The pawnshop guy was pissed and said we had to take care of it off property...I said no problem and made arrangements to hit the ATM to make the purchase.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2018
    East Texas
    A loooong time ago a state trooper was off duty in the gun shop and told us how he came up on a guy who had his pants down just giving it to a dead deer.

Well that's.....unexpected. And too weird to be made up. Wonder if that's an instance where the trooper just put the car in reverse and slowly drove away. LOL

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    So I go up and say, "Could I get some .45 ACP ammunition please?" He responds with, "ACP or GAP?" I had never even heard of GAP at that time so I said, "ACP...what's the GAP rounds look like?" His response was, "Well if you don't know the difference you shouldn't be buying ammunition."

Well since he does not know the difference, he should not be selling it.

45ACP and 45GAP are not interchangeable. So when a customer asks for 45ACP, 45 GAP is as irrelevant as 9mm Luger.

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    EquatorialHarmoniousAzurevasesponge-size_restricted.gif

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    A loooong time ago a state trooper was off duty in the gun shop and told us how he came up on a guy who had his pants down just giving it to a dead deer.

Along the same lines...
    KENNEWICK, WA
    Three people were arrested by Kennewick police on Labor Day for having methamphetamine, including a man allegedly caught in a compromising position with an injured beaver.

Richard M. Delp, Jordan D. Lewis and Megan L. Williams were picked up in two separate busts more than six hours apart.

Delp, 35, is accused of having sexual contact with the wild animal in Columbia Park.

The beaver was hit by a car sometime Monday night, and a woman who found it ran home for a box so she could transport the injured animal to a veterinarian, according to Sgt. Aaron Clem.

The woman reportedly returned to the Kennewick park to find a man lying next to the beaver.

She wondered if the man, later identified as Delp, was comforting with the animal, said Clem. But then she realized he was partially clothed.

The animal may have still been alive at that point, but it was dead when officers arrived in the park.

Delp, who is listed as a transient, was booked into the Benton County jail at 12:50 a.m. Tuesday on suspicion of first-degree animal cruelty and meth possession, both felonies. He is being held without bail.

https://www.tri-cityherald.com/news/local/crime/article217791780.html

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2018
    East Texas
    Here's a more recent one:

I finally talked my buddy into building his own AR. He decided to do twin AR pistols as a father-son project. They got them both put together with the help of YouTube and a couple calls to me. Then he went out and bought some flip up sights and a red dot for each pistol. The next day we go to the LGS/range so he can sight them in. He lives 30 miles away in one direction and I'm 30 miles away the next direction so we meet there. We go in and he leaves the pistols in the car so he can ask if it's ok to bring them in. While talking to the gun shop owner, my buddy asks if he could look the pistol over because he doesn't understand how anyone is supposed to be able to use the sights. Shop owner says bring em in. My buddy opens the bag and there's 2 perfectly assembled AR pistols...with their sights on backwards. The shop owner was very cool about it and told my buddy it was an easy mistake. I, on the other hand, had some fun joking with him about it. Talk about a d'oh! moment for him.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    So I'm in a very large gun store in Houston some years ago (name rhymes with Farter's) and a guy looking for a pistol asks the sales person if he could look at a Glock. The sales guy proceeds to tee off on Glock - they're junk, they're plastic, they blow up all the time, why this great store will never carry those crappy things. The song and dance goes on for 15 minutes.

Now, I know for a fact they had carried them months before, and they carry them now. Someone I told the story to who had some connections there said that the store was trying to get their wholesale supplier to cut them a better deal and so they stopped carrying for awhile.

I've heard sales reps lie or just say stupid things because they didn't know what they were doing, but this was the only time I remember one lying to cover the fact that they weren't making as much profit on each sale as they'd like.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    In a shooting range/gun store that closed many years ago and was at the register paying the gunsmith for something he did on one of my guns. A guy walks in and they exchange hellos. Then the guy asks where the gunsmith's wife is today. (She had worked as a cashier for a long time.) A stream of angry profanity poured out of the gunsmith. Turns out he had caught the wife cheating on him a few days earlier. Awkward!

Was out on that range one day and suddenly saw an old man and a young boy walking up range from the backstops towards the shooting benches. I ran down the line calling cease fire and everybody stopped. The two guys calmly and slowly walked all the way to the benches, waved, and then walked off in the woods beside the range. I went over and explained to them the danger that they were in walking on a live range. They looked at me like I suddenly started speaking Chinese and just turned and left.

Chips n Salsa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2017
    Plano
    This one is much more dark....I bought a used Gluck at the Cabela's in Allen this morning. I noticed about three weeks ago Cabela's added a trigger guard to all their pistols. So at the checkout I asked, "Hey, what's up with the new trigger guards on all the pistols?" Manager type confides... a guy in an Olathe, KS store a few weeks ago.... asks to see a pistol, the staff loses track of the customer, he eases over to the bullet aisle and kills himself.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article215906260.html

Pops1955

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    About 6 years ago I bought a Ruger Police Carbine 9 from a guy after looking for a while. Went to Acadamy the next day to buy the Ruger P95 to go with. The counter guy starts telling me what a cheap piece of crap he thinks the P95 is and That I should buy a Sig, Glock or S&W. I look at him and tell him I own examples of all 3 and several more and told him he just lost a sale. Told him I really did not need him to tell me what I want. He says "if your buying Ruger you obviously do". Well, I then ask him why they had them for sale. He says because he was not in charge of those decisions. I went to the front, ask for a manager and told them about the conversation. Left and bought from and LGS a few blocks away. That guy is still there and I have never been back to their gun counter again. That P95 continues to run like a champ. Built like a tank. PC 9 is the same.

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Anyone who has been around guns and shooting for any length of time can write a book about idiots behind the counter and their misinformation.
    We've all heard inane drivel like "the .22lr enters the body and bounces around inside tearing everything up", to "racking the slide on a pump shotgun causes buildings to crumble and instant death".
    Don't listen to any of it.
    Better yet do not ask them anything except what is directly related to the sale. It saves on the heartburn.
    Purchase what you want and ignore the doofusses.
    999 times out of 1000 they've never fired a gun like you're buying anyway.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom