• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2018
    East Texas
    I was at an oil change place getting the oil changed in my company car. This is in a rather small town, population of 2000 or so. There's a guy sitting next to me that begins asking everyone if they have a LTC. There's maybe 5 of us in there. He gets to me and I give the "I'm going to soon" response. He goes on to tell everyone that's he's a jailer with the county and he makes sure to carry 24/7. He even points to his NAA 22 that he's open carrying and explains the magical powers of the 22 mag. Just as strong as...deadlier than...faster than... He tells us he's fine being the hero if a jihadi busts through the front door of this tiny shop but he'd rather that terrorist be filled with bullet holes from every patron there.

It was quite amusing and made the boring wait go by pretty quickly. Little did he know I was packing 11 rounds of 9mm while he was spouting off about his 5 rounds of 22 mag.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Being much more well versed these days, I cringe in most LGS. One side of the counter or other, or both are idiots.

And at one time both the salesman and I were those idiots. Not long after turning 18 in 98, I went into a LGS looking to buy something cheap. I already made my first purchase a few weeks earlier, a Mossberg 500 that I still own and now was looking for a rifle. In the used rack was an old, odd looking bolt gun, an Ishapore. Salesman says it's an Enfield (like I had any idea who they were) that was originally chambered in .303 but had been rechambered in .308. Seemed legit to me and the price was good, or at least a lot cheaper than anything else for sale. After more research, and more closely looking at markings on the rifle I discovered what I had and have been pretty happy with it over the years. Finally bought a nice mount for it last year and one day we'll see how it still shoots.

I'm still not sure who was the bigger idiot in that scenario.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Heard a customer ask what to do if his gas operated shotgun ran out of gas.

Guy behind the counter told him to bring it in and they would fill it up for him.

We waited until said customer left before laughing.
    Lol should have pulled a box of ammo out and told him he could buy these gas replacement cylinders.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    ...He goes on to tell everyone that's he's a jailer with the county...

Yeah if you don't even have what it takes to join the military, or even the cops, but still wanna have a uniform and a gun, you become a jailer... excuse me, "detention officer".

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2018
    East Texas
    Yea but I'm sure Fumbles Magee woulda had a heck of a time fumbling with that tiny revolver, pulling the hammer back, then pulling the trigger...all while trying not to shoot his finger off.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    There was the time at the gun show the guy had the rack of extremely high dollar shotguns on his table. Probably $80-90,000 worth of guns standing there.
    Some doofuss is futzing with one of them.
    When he tries to put one back in the rack several fall out smashing into each other.
    Ooops.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    There was the time at the gun show the guy had the rack of extremely high dollar shotguns on his table. Probably $80-90,000 worth of guns standing there.
    "Extremely high dollar shotguns" means "$80-90,000" per gun, not per rack. :)
    When he tries to put one back in the rack several fall out smashing into each other.
    So who's the doofus? The browser or the dealer?

I can't imagine displaying guns worth a bunch of money on a rack that's not sturdy enough to prevent fumbling one from bringing down others. Still, I've seen more dealers than I can remember with vertical racks atop flimsy tables where if anyone bumped into it hard, everything would come crashing down.

"Stupid ways to display things for sale" could be a thread of its own.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    A loooong time ago a state trooper was off duty in the gun shop and told us how he came up on a guy who had his pants down just giving it to a dead deer.

Not the first time I heard a story like this. WTH is wrong with people?

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Being much more well versed these days, I cringe in most LGS. One side of the counter or other, or both are idiots.

And at one time both the salesman and I were those idiots. Not long after turning 18 in 98, I went into a LGS looking to buy something cheap. I already made my first purchase a few weeks earlier, a Mossberg 500 that I still own and now was looking for a rifle. In the used rack was an old, odd looking bolt gun, an Ishapore. Salesman says it's an Enfield (like I had any idea who they were) that was originally chambered in .303 but had been rechambered in .308. Seemed legit to me and the price was good, or at least a lot cheaper than anything else for sale. After more research, and more closely looking at markings on the rifle I discovered what I had and have been pretty happy with it over the years. Finally bought a nice mount for it last year and one day we'll see how it still shoots.

I'm still not sure who was the bigger idiot in that scenario.

Sold one of those Ishapores for a widow a few years ago. Killed me that I didn't have the $ at the time. It was a really nice one.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    "Extremely high dollar shotguns" means "$80-90,000" per gun, not per rack. :)
    So who's the doofus? The browser or the dealer?

I can't imagine displaying guns worth a bunch of money on a rack that's not sturdy enough to prevent fumbling one from bringing down others. Still, I've seen more dealers than I can remember with vertical racks atop flimsy tables where if anyone bumped into it hard, everything would come crashing down.

"Stupid ways to display things for sale" could be a thread of its own.

I was in the Highland Park area a couple months ago and stopped in at the Beretta Gallery in Highland Park Village. Man I love that shop. I used to work near there and went often, but had not been in about 18 years. Back then the most expensive one was around $18K. Now they have them approaching $100K. Cannot imagine spending that much on one.

The clerk saw me looking at one and told me a story about some construction company owner that bought all his told guys custom shotguns that cost around $45K each.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Not the first time I heard a story like this. WTH is wrong with people?
    When I worked shows I ran into lots of people who were too shy to say they are new to firearms and do not understand the mechanics. A lot of guys get into guns for a macho thing or it’s cool. I have always viewed guns as a means to protection and a great way to pass the time with friends. I held back laughing at people. Once they seemed comfortable with me the amount of knowledge they did not have was amazing. Times are just changing. People get into guns from video games and the internet now. I started with reloading books, then read and listened to information from gunsmiths. Some people have the passion to explore all aspects of firearms and firearms manufacturing. Others just wanna look cool

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    When I worked shows I ran into lots of people who were too shy to say they are new to firearms and do not understand the mechanics. A lot of guys get into guns for a macho thing or it’s cool. I have always viewed guns as a means to protection and a great way to pass the time with friends. I held back laughing at people. Once they seemed comfortable with me the amount of knowledge they did not have was amazing. Times are just changing. People get into guns from video games and the internet now. I started with reloading books, then read and listened to information from gunsmiths. Some people have the passion to explore all aspects of firearms and firearms manufacturing. Others just wanna look cool

I was referring to the guy screwing the deer.

Reactions: MTA
    Top Bottom