• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SPCHardin

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    San Antonio
    So as I posted a few months earlier, I am moving into my own place. This means that I now need to get myself my own safe to secure my weapons. My apartment is on the fourth floor, and I am worrying about how much weight I can put on the floor. I would like to get a safe instead of a locker. Does anyone have any suggestions about the best method of gun storage?

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    I agree with TexasRedneck, and if you bolt the safe to the Plywood you are not damaging the apt but are making it much harder for anyone to remove the safe.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Just bear in mind what it's going to take to move....time and again. If you take smaller ones, bolt 'em to the plywood AND each other, they can still be moved after you take 'em apart - but the jacklegs tryin' to STEAL them won't have it so easy.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    build yourself a concrete block just big enough to leave a half inch around the footing. form it up, pour the concrete, redhead the safe down. when you move out bust it up.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    build yourself a concrete block just big enough to leave a half inch around the footing. form it up, pour the concrete, redhead the safe down. when you move out bust it up.

Real Bad Idea. Most flooring in Apartments is designed to be strong enough to hold up under normal use and weight loadings, pouring concrete and then putting a safe with guns on top would probably cause structural issues. Remember concrete weighs about 150 pounds per cubic foot, or about 100 pounds in a 5 gallon bucket. You would be responsible for the damage caused. Being how you are on the fourth floor, the third floor neighbors will not like the cracking and falling Sheetrock on their ceiling as you start something like that.

TexasRedneck's idea is good, distribute the weight as much as possible, and use a lighter safe,like a Stack-On storage cabinet if possible. Check your lease agreement, some have restrictions on heavy things like waterbeds in upper floor units. Also get an alarm system hooked up.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX

I like the concept, but you want it at least 26 - 28" wide to ensure you span at least 2 floor joists....you could frame it w/some 1/4" plywood decking on the "bottom" to keep it from leaking onto the apartment flooring until it sets - could even leave the frame intact.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Real Bad Idea. Most flooring in Apartments is designed to be strong enough to hold up under normal use and weight loadings, pouring concrete and then putting a safe with guns on top would probably cause structural issues. Remember concrete weighs about 150 pounds per cubic foot, or about 100 pounds in a 5 gallon bucket. You would be responsible for the damage caused. Being how you are on the fourth floor, the third floor neighbors will not like the cracking and falling Sheetrock on their ceiling as you start something like that.

TexasRedneck's idea is good, distribute the weight as much as possible, and use a lighter safe,like a Stack-On storage cabinet if possible. Also check your lease agreement, some have restrictions on heavy things like waterbeds in upper floor units. Also get an alarm system hooked up.

i dont know how they build here. im used to setting the red iron before carpenters come in and shoot their furring to our steel. qwikset doesnt weigh that much compared to aggregate concrete.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    A 300-400 lb safe will hold what he needs and can be lag bolted to the wall/floor. When he leaves he spackles the small holes in the wall. Paired with an alarm and he should be good to go without all the work of fabricating something.

My bigger concern would be how I walk in/out of an apt with my guns without drawing attention.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Shooterfpga, Most apartments around the Houston area are wood framed. I would doubt that SA is much different. Hopefully there is a structural engineer on this board.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    gotcha. id go for the first idea or the lag to the wall then. prolly the best because of the apartment. besides the fact that your building maybe old.

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    I wouldn't go for anything I couldn't pull up/down 4 flights of stairs with a hand truck... Would be great if you have an elevator. If you get something in the 250 lbs range you and a friend could wheel it around without too much sweat. It would also be below a weight that could cause damage to the floor below. A safe at this weight would make it very difficult for any thieves to haul away with a hand truck.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Hear ya, SMT....but a small pad like that CAN be busted up pretty easily if he's moving, or even wheeled down w/a dolly once unbolted. What I liked about the idea is that it'd make it a royal PITA to try to move while attached to a safe, which is what a thief'd hafta do to steal it.

propellerhead

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A few other tips for apartment living:

Change the locks on the door. If you ever need the apartment maintenance to come in, change the lock back to the original or be there waiting for them. When you terminate your lease, reinstall the original locks.

Change the door knob on one of the closets to a lockable door knob and put your gun safe there. It's just another layer to penetrate and more proof for the insurance company.

Trade in your gun brand range bags for other bags. My range bag is a Sears toolbag. My AR-15 carrying case is a Nike baseball bat bag. I do not advertise that I have stuff crack heads can use to get more crack.

Always have the blinds closed when you clean or handle your guns.

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    When I was living for a short time in an apt years ago I used golf bag, tent bag and ski bags I'd found at salvation army to haul my things in. Did it in daylight when most tennets were gone. Worked fine and that was in a city that always makes the one of the top ten most dangerous cities.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    No way to move a safe up four floors of an apartment building without being seen, unless it is in the dead of night and EVERYONE is asleep.

A locker is a pretty good idea, especially if it is covered with a table cloth and made to look like a TV stand. Just disassemble the critical components from your firearms so they are harder to sell on the street or pawn, if found by burglars.

It is easy to transport your EDC to the apartment, and remove it in a manner no one will notice.

If you do buy a safe, don't use a delivery service. Those guys talk, and your potential stash will no longer be safe.

Be well.

SPCHardin

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    San Antonio
    I usually use an old army duffle bag to transport my goodies. I make all efforts to disguise the fact that I am moving weapons. Being in construction management, I can attest that almost all apartment buildings in this area are wood framed (I am not however versed in structural engineering). I am thinking that a stack on type locker would be my best bet, coupled with the plywood TR suggested.

Isn't it in violation of the lease to change the locks though? I will need to review my copy once it arrives after move in.

Also, my particular complex has elevators!

Top Bottom