• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SPCHardin

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    San Antonio
    I agree, at least the keys to the closet door. I wish there was a way to throw a dead bolt on the closet door without drilling the frame.

propellerhead

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Isn't it in violation of the lease to change the locks though? I will need to review my copy once it arrives after
    They also can't enter your apartment without prior notice. It's not uncommon for the apartment office to give a cable service person a master key to go install cable in a unit. You have too much to lose to worry about a minor lease violation if it is indeed a violation.

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    This could get dicey. Because when you move out if there is a shift in the flooring they could say you caused it and charge you.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Handgun and Long Gun Safes | Zanotti Armor®

Zanotti makes a modular safe that comes in multiple pieces (boxes) so not only can you move with the safe and break it down into smaller pieces but it isn't obvious that you're moving a gun safe to and fro. It's a popular model with military types who have to move frequently and gets good reviews.

6-easy.jpg

It's more expensive than the average safe but it's designed well and with your needs in mind. Note: It cannot be disassembled from the outside, you can only disassemble the safe once it is open.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    When we lived in an apartment, we requested a 2nd deadbolt on the door for our key. We provided the office with a spare. We also had it noted on our leasing agreement that nobody would enter our apartment without prior notification. That included the standard filter change. Granted, If the apartment was on fire or needed emergency access due to flooding and property damage, that was a different scenario. We had a 150 gallon aquarium on the second floor. We spoke with the property maintenance manager who advised us which wall would be best due to weight. We carried "x" amount of renters insurance as well in case of damages. We have a gun locker. I didn't have the money for the safe I wanted, but at least my firearms are secured from the kids, except my necessary one. For your applucation, a safe from academy wouldn't be bad. The Stack on lockers also come with bolts to secure to the wall studs.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Just bear in mind what it's going to take to move....time and again. If you take smaller ones, bolt 'em to the plywood AND each other, they can still be moved after you take 'em apart - but the jacklegs tryin' to STEAL them won't have it so easy.
    +1
    Being able to move them is why I've opted for multiple smaller safes rather than one giant one. I don't like the idea of having to hire a moving company to deliver or install one. As for getting it into the apt without people taking note that you have a safe; why not try to camouflage it? A refrigerator box would work well, but that's also odd for an apt dweller to have their own fridge. I'm sure you could find some other box to slip over the safe.

hink

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2011
    Amarillo
    Check with the apartment building office to see if your upright "aquarium" will work on your floor. It's not that uncommon a request.

And if there's an elevator, then you're really only looking at moving along the entry and hallway into the apartment. So when it's time to move in, box up your new upright "aquarium" and move it on in. Maybe take a couple of guys, just so it doesn't fall and break.

FYI -- a 24-25 gun safe will weigh in at 550-600 pounds empty. Take the weight of the contents into account when figuring your total weight load.

SPCHardin

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    San Antonio
    I am thinking of going for the stack on lockers. I just have a bad feeling though because they seem very easy to break into. Also, not fireproof.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    What TR said ^^^.

I am guilty of not having a safe in my apartment for my guns. I know that's not the best thing to do, but I've got to make due with the situation at hand. I basically have locked everything up and stowed away so well, that I just now had to sit and think where I put them.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Hey, TexasRedneck. Whats your take on the soda machine safe. Thought you might have a colorful take on that idea.

As a practical matter, by the time yer done you could likely have bought a comparable safe with better locking mechanisms for the same money, fixed the soda machine an' stocked it with beer!

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    What TR said ^^^.

I am guilty of not having a safe in my apartment for my guns. I know that's not the best thing to do, but I've got to make due with the situation at hand. I basically have locked everything up and stowed away so well, that I just now had to sit and think where I put them.

Hey - PLEASE don't think I'm "downing" anyone that doesn't have a safe. It was many years before I finally bought one, primarily because the insurance companies give NO consideration on your rates for having one. One agent I had got so snitty about it when I challenged him as to why there was no "break" that I made him come over and sign off on my gun inventory - at that time, about $20k worth - because we were leaving the country for 2 weeks. What I didn't tell him was that I was going to have 'em stored elsewhere while we were gone....<evil grin>

And bear in mind - far from every gun I own is in the safes, so I have to sit back myself from time to time and do a mental accounting of where the others are! One nice thing about not having kids at home any longer is that I don't have to lock/unload/watch every one of 'em - so there's usually at least one in every room. Hell - there's 3 here in my office right now!

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    And bear in mind - far from every gun I own is in the safes, so I have to sit back myself from time to time and do a mental accounting of where the others are! One nice thing about not having kids at home any longer is that I don't have to lock/unload/watch every one of 'em - so there's usually at least one in every room. Hell - there's 3 here in my office right now!

3?! I counted six a couple days ago, lol.

I'm the same. I don't have the funds for a huge safe, but needed something to keeps the kids' paws off. Although they are very well behaved around them, I still take the effort. I don't have such a collection to justify some of the bigger safes, but mine are covered by insurance and secured. If someone wants a safe, they'll take it.....hell, look at all the folks who still try stealing ATM machines, lol. I do hope by next year to have a much more sizeable safe.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    That's a neat idea. I'm also a fan of having a "bait safe". Get a cheap safe, have it in plain sight, and put two for three "junk" guns in there. Then hide your other guns really well.... A really determined crook will get into any safe. Let them waste all their time on something inconsequential.

Top Bottom