• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 512Ram

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Central Texas
    So APD is planning on allowing people to turn in their firearms, no questions asked, for grocery coupons.

They're offering $10 for BB guns/fakes/replicas, $100 for hand guns and rifles, and $200 for assault rifles.

I personally don't believe these programs work and that austin isn't near as bad as other similarly sized cities, but that is just my thought/opinion not based on any figures.

Here's the myfoxaustin article:
    APD Buying Guns with Groceries

One of commenters has a good idea:
    "I'd love to stand outside this "buyback" center with about a thousand dollars, and see if I couldn't offer these people a slightly better price. Many of these so-called "assault" rifles are going for $800 or more on gunbroker.com, and I'm sure they would gladly take $250 cash money instead of $200 in frozen pizzas...and, provided the weapon wasn't stolen, the cops can't do anything about it"
    Gun Zone Deals

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    $200 bucks for an assaut rifle ? A rifle which has a selector switch for semi and FA.....Another idiotic description by the Grocery and a million liberal media turkeys who call a military look alike an "Assault Rifle"... Jokingly, are they going to do the NRA paper work and buy the $200 tax stamp and do they get it before the NFA paperwork is approved, hahahaha

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    $10 for BB guns/fakes/replicas
    Hmmm... I've got some old 2x4s that I could easy carve a few "replicas" out of. I think I might go get me some grocery money, lol... These gun buy-back programs are ridiculous.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    Wonder if they are buying shotguns as well? I have an older single shot bolt action that has been missing the tube mag for a couple of decades...I had it for sale at a show for $75 and no offers...$100 would be great!

What morons...

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I'm just wondering when it's gonna be necessary to put a fence around Austin - and pad everything inside with rubber to keep the nuts from hurting themselves.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Can we hang out in front of wherever this buy-back is occurring, and offer to buy the guns ourselves with cash? There may not only be some sweet deals, but it would really burn the APD's ass as there is nothing they could do about it!

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Can we hang out in front of wherever this buy-back is occurring, and offer to buy the guns ourselves with cash? There may not only be some sweet deals, but it would really burn the APD's ass as there is nothing they could do about it!

There was a pic going around of a older gent wearing a sandwiche board saying he would give 50 bucks more then the buy back offering for working firearms. Cannot find it on google though. I recall seeing it.

big_bad_kitty

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Denton, TX
    WTH! Is this really Texas?

I'm a native and am in Austin for the TX concealed instructor course. Thought I had seen it all until yesterday morning when four vehicles were broken into in the parking lot at the hotel while the class was in session! At least three guns with other assorted and related items were taken from instructor candidates vehicles. Austin PD showed approximately four hours later to take reports. This was while there were at least two DPS troopers instructing at the class!

Then, I turn on the news last night and begin to catch up on my reading on the forums and I see this about Austin! Where did this bunch of anti-gun nuts come from? Talk about being aliens! How did they ever get in? Austin seems as if it has fallen off the planet! Knew it was weird here but never dreamed I would see this in TX during my lifetime. Whoever is running this circus needs to either get with the program or leave TX and go somewhere they are appreciated!

Sorry for the rant and rave but this is ridiculous. JMHO! At least I will be gone by the time it happens. Can't believe it.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    hmf
    would be pricelss if there was a rash of gun thefts only to have them all tunred in for a shitload of free groceris. i clicked on this thread mainly becasue i read it as "guns or groceries" i was expecting apoll that i could vote "guns" on. i have made decision more often that i thought i would.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    To me guns for groceries is just another method to feed the gun control beast I have no use for it no matter how hungry I am and I know it's a different story for people with families but it's just my thoughts on the situation. When they did guns for groceries some guy I know ended up with a really nice colt 1911 for 150 bucks luckily he ran the serial number and it didn't come back stolen.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    There was a pic going around of a older gent wearing a sandwiche board saying he would give 50 bucks more then the buy back offering for working firearms. Cannot find it on google though. I recall seeing it.

Dang, I couldn't find it either; but I did find this and it made me chuckle...

View attachment 3848

But whoever took this picture has to teach those girls trigger discipline! :banghead:

Cheers! M2

bjones4545

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Marshall Ford Texas
    So, what happens to all these weapons after they are bought?

If they were used in a crime, they will retain them as evidence.

However, the typical firearm, cheap $35 pistols and broken down $50 rifles will be cut up and disposed of. I personally doubt that anyone that knows that they have a decent firearm worth hundreds more than what the buy back is offering will actually turn them in.

If the environmentally green folks learn what is happing they will put a stop to the disposal because of the extremely high levels of lead that remains in the guns......."He said sarcastically."

Top Bottom