• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FlashBang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Bastrop TX
    John doesn't do the gun shows. I asked him about it once and he said, why pay to put a table at a show when I can sell them right here at a better price and people can walk in for free?

Kind of made sense when I thought about. He and his wife are older and it's just them. I imagine it's a lot of work to load everything up take it there and bring it home.
    DK Firearms

FlashBang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Bastrop TX
    The Bastrop gun show was better then I thought it would be for it being the first one ever held here. Turn out is pretty good, I got there around 9:15 and spent about an hour and a half. There were only a handfull of FFL Dealers, maybe 4-5, and most tables were private sellers with a surprising amount of selection. There is no ATM at the Convention Center, which seemed pretty stupid as there were only a handful of dealers taking credit cards. As always the dealer prices were a tad high, but every one of the private seller tables was more then willing to negotiate price. I did manage to come home with two new additions, a Polish P-64 9x18 and a Bulgarian Circle 10 Police/Military Makarev 9x18. Both in excellent condition. The P-64 seller wanted 249.00 but I got him down to 200.00 and did the deal. The other seller wanted 275.00 for the Bulgarian Makarev, but I was able to talk him into 200.00 for that one as well. I saw a beautiful 1954 Hungarian M44 Mosin Nagant all matching serial numbers on everything... True matching, no electro pencil anywhere on it... as clean and nice as the day it came out of the factory, I swear I heard it calling my name, maybe I should go back and rescue it.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    Thanks for the update. I'm going to try to get over there tomorrow.

Would really like to score a used Glock 19 at a decent price from a private seller. Did you happen to notice any? I assume the elusive S&W Shield is out of the question.

FlashBang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Bastrop TX
    There were a bunch of Glocks at both the dealers and private sellers. I didn't pay much attention to them though so couldn't swear to what models were there.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Guys, not trying to tell anyone what to do here; but I've always been a huge advocate of gun shows as they only way you're gonna have them in your area is to support them! I try to get as many people to the good SA shows (Premier and SAXET) as possible as it is a win-win situation when the turnout is high. Vendors sell more and are willing to return, the promoter makes some money so chances of the show growing are better, and participants have more opportunity to see and buy guns.

That said, if the promoter is one that solely focuses on making a profit and doesn't care about the customer base (as it is with one in the SA area), then it's fair to not support it.

However, being that this is a new show, I would say it is paramount to go and give it a try. When Premier first came to San Antonio, some of us on here rallied folks to go. We had a few of the promoter employees come out to our breakfast and not only paid for our meal, but also gave us passes to the show! I've gotten to know Tim, Michelle and their kids pretty well over the past year or so; and I have great respect for them as they are putting a huge effort into building a show that makes everyone happy! The Premier show, which occurs next weekend, has already grown considerably and while we may have only contributed to a small portion of it; they are grateful for our efforts. They also donated space to the NRA Gun Wall which demonstrates their commitment to the local firearms community. Everyone invests, and everyone benefits from such a cooperative effort to succeed!

I hope the Bastrop show does well and grows, hopefully it will and some of us from SA will make it up one of these days.

Cheers! M2

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Ah-ha. There IS a gun show near me that I can go to. I may head in to Bastrop this morning now.
    Anyone else going today (Sunday)?

FlashBang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Bastrop TX
    I will be heading back to the show this morning. I'll be the good looking guy wearing the Hi-Point tee-shirt. I'm hoping that M44 is still there, heard it calling out to me all night and it is my civic duty to save it from bubba who would cut the stock and hang do-dads from it. I forgot to mention that there is a small dealer there that had a table full of Mosin Nagant 91/30's at a good price, he is pretty much in the middle aisle. There is a Class 3 dealer at the far end of the center aisle who has some really nice full auto's. There are probably 100-130 tables and most are private sellers who were pretty quick to negotiate with you.
    Parking is FREE for the show and it is $8 to get in.

I agree with MM, we need to support this show so that it becomes a regular thing.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Went this afternoon. It was indeed a sleepy little show, but I've got high hopes for future ones there!
    I didn't see one table dedicated to magazines.
    There were at least as many knife tables as gun tables, along with the typical jewelry, apparel, etc. vendors.

One guy that I remember had some nice prices (the guy from Guns To Go out of Brenham). There were others, but Guns To Go is the only one I really took time to get a card from.

All in all, I had a nice time browsing. And the ride to and from there was very relaxing with my window down. Today was a nice day to go out for a little drive. The fact that I attended this little gun show in the middle of my drive made the day that much better for me.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    I had some last minute things come up this morning and couldn't get time to drive over (I'm in Austin). I'm very disappointed I missed it. Hopefully they did well enough to justify another.

lalonguecarbine, I'm not familiar with "Guns to Go" in Brenham. Do you mean Ammo To Go/Independence Firearms? I've been to their store and they had a very good selection and seemed to have decent prices.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    lalonguecarbine, I'm not familiar with "Guns to Go" in Brenham. Do you mean Ammo To Go/Independence Firearms? I've been to their store and they had a very good selection and seemed to have decent prices.

Crap! Yes, sorry... it's Independence Firearms. I was just glancing at the card, and their web address (Guns To Go) is in the middle of the business card with bright yellow lettering, so without looking at it much further, I simply thought that was the name of the place.

Top Bottom