• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I think the NE states. PA, NY??? I had this discussion years ago and there were several back then that prohibited firearms that held over 5 rds. Some only let you use a shotgun.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    i just got my first evil black rifle about a month ago. CANT WAIT till deer season this coming fall.

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    I think the NE states. PA, NY??? I had this discussion years ago and there were several back then that prohibited firearms that held over 5 rds. Some only let you use a shotgun.

Well KS at least does not have a round count limit, although I have 5 rnd mags for both calibers just for personal preference. In White County IL where I have family they cannot hunt deer with a rifle period, the land is too flat for highpower rifles I guess, so there are some limitations, but I think they are allowed in a lot more states than TX.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Well KS at least does not have a round count limit, although I have 5 rnd mags for both calibers just for personal preference. In White County IL where I have family they cannot hunt deer with a rifle period, the land is too flat for highpower rifles I guess, so there are some limitations, but I think they are allowed in a lot more states than TX.
    By no means did I mean that we were the only state that allowed it. Just that there were some that didnt. I think Iowa is on the shotgun only list.
    Land to flat for rifles??? That is a poor excuse to ban them.

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    By no means did I mean that we were the only state that allowed it. Just that there were some that didnt. I think Iowa is on the shotgun only list.
    Land to flat for rifles??? That is a poor excuse to ban them.

I dunno man, there is not a whole lot of trees in the area either, missed shots would fly and fly a long way. Its been that way for as long as they can remember. They use Slugs and Bows. So many kids skip school on opening day of SG season that schools now just close for the day, haha..

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    just ask around your buddies, eventually, you should find someone generous enough to let you hunt sometime. and, you could look into public hunting.

The issue is I don't have any buddies down here, only been in TX since September, haven't really had the time to network for friends yet. Public hunting annoys me a little. I hunted on tracks in KS, but never saw any animals, it gets hit pretty hard early in the season and they they leave the area..

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Just to add I have killed many deer with a 5.56 AR. It's a fine gun for both Texas and Missouri white tails. Up to 150lbs it does an outstanding job. All deer I have shot have been side chest shots and fell in their tracks. Shots were inside 100yds. The best part is I never lost target due to recoil. Intact I could follow and watch the target and be able to fire a second shot at any moment should one have been required. All deer have been shot with 55 grain hornady TAP-FPD. This is considered by some to be a self defense or wounding round and not designed for game but I can tell you that chest shots are devastating. Shoulder or behind the shoulder it does not matter. The round passes thru and goes into the chest and shreads heart, lungs and stops at the back chest wall 8-12". Anything inside that 6" diameter tube is shredded. Folks will tell you hey want a big hole in and one out and that's cool but how far can a calm deer with no adrenaline run if they are knocked senseless and their heart and lungs explode? My findings are about a step or two.

It's awe inspiring guys. Take a deer this fall with your AR15. You won't regret it IF you can surgically place your shots. That is within 6"'at 100 yds.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    That is within 6"'at 100 yds.

If you can't shoot that you have no business shooting at animals.

Nothing is perfect, but I'm a bigger fan of 70+ grain bullets for hunting with an AR. If you have to shoot through brush on a follow-up or have a deep shot, it'll get you there. Especially if you come across a hog.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    This guy is a terrible shot.

I'm pretty jealous of the number of deer walking up to him.

A .223 is a very low end bullet for deer hunting. Yeah, I know, more deer have been killed with a .22 (and a spotlight) than all other calibers combined. Still, it's pretty easy to have a bullet go through and wound the animal.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Seems he dropped them all but the buck he "missed". The one time I went out hunting with the AR15 I took Super-X Ammunition 223 Remington 64 Grain Power-Point. Didn't see any deer that day though.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    You can hunt deer with a .22?!?!?? Who woulda ever thought......<evil grin>

Just ask ol' Willie some time about a li'l git-together up in Bandera back in the 70's after an all-night post-concert jam session....

Top Bottom