• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I dunno man, there is not a whole lot of trees in the area either, missed shots would fly and fly a long way. Its been that way for as long as they can remember. They use Slugs and Bows. So many kids skip school on opening day of SG season that schools now just close for the day, haha..
    South Texas is very flat as well and I dont see an abundance of people shooting ech other during hunting season with rifles. It is what it is...an excuse to restrict what you carry and shoot. I mean afterall, if you dont need it to hunt....then why do you need it? <sarcasm off>
    Target Sports

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    South Texas is very flat as well and I dont see an abundance of people shooting ech other during hunting season with rifles. It is what it is...an excuse to restrict what you carry and shoot. I mean afterall, if you dont need it to hunt....then why do you need it? <sarcasm off>

Yeah, it's Illinois, what do you expect, haha...

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    barnes makes a great heavy .223 bullet for inside 300 yds on deer, that is what i use for hunting is my AR, i can grab either upper the .223 or the 6.8. for farther shots on hogs the 6.8 is the better choice, but either inside 300yds for the .223 and 400yds for the 6.8 are golden.

+1 on the barnes. They are great, but yu have to remember that the copper bullets are longer than lead bullets (and might need a faster twist rate than you'd expect. I've killed a couple deer with my AR. Lot of fun, low recoil. Full freezer.

I'm with 1911, I like my bullets heavy and well built.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Just fyi for those that may not know, there is NO magazine capacity restriction for hunting deer in Texas either, despite popular belief. That's straight from the Texas Parks & Wildlife handbook. Feel free to use your 30rd mags or whatever. Me personally, I'd probably use a 20rd as they're more compact for shooting from certain positions.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Just fyi for those that may not know, there is NO magazine capacity restriction for hunting deer in Texas either, despite popular belief. That's straight from the Texas Parks & Wildlife handbook. Feel free to use your 30rd mags or whatever. Me personally, I'd probably use a 20rd as they're more compact for shooting from certain positions.

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    I dunno man, there is not a whole lot of trees in the area either, missed shots would fly and fly a long way. Its been that way for as long as they can remember. They use Slugs and Bows. So many kids skip school on opening day of SG season that schools now just close for the day, haha..
    Moved from Illinois this past year. The reason in Il why you can't hunt with a rifle is CHICAGO. They run the state and if you are in the top third of the state, you might as well be in Afganistan, it's safer there. I feel sorry for So Il folk as they take a beating, real country folk and not allowed. I lived 20 miles from Wi and yes you can use a rifle. Il is fighting now for ccw/chl and might get it this year, their best chance but sure makes the guys on the Il site a bit teasty. Bill is in senate, but I am sure when it is ready to present it will be full of regulations. God Bless Texas and I am glad to be in a free state, now we just need Constitutional carry.

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    Moved from Illinois this past year. The reason in Il why you can't hunt with a rifle is CHICAGO. They run the state and if you are in the top third of the state, you might as well be in Afganistan, it's safer there. I feel sorry for So Il folk as they take a beating, real country folk and not allowed. I lived 20 miles from Wi and yes you can use a rifle. Il is fighting now for ccw/chl and might get it this year, their best chance but sure makes the guys on the Il site a bit teasty. Bill is in senate, but I am sure when it is ready to present it will be full of regulations. God Bless Texas and I am glad to be in a free state, now we just need Constitutional carry.

Yeah, my family is in Carmi, White County area, it's the true version of country!

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    I havent had a chance to take my AR hunting yet, but I have taken my Mini14 out with great success. I have no problem shooting these wimpy hill country deer with .223... however, I dont think I would take a chance with 223 on a deer back home up towards canada.

Infidel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    Dallas
    I think the NE states. PA, NY??? I had this discussion years ago and there were several back then that prohibited firearms that held over 5 rds. Some only let you use a shotgun.

I know Ohio is shotgun, blackpowder and large handgun only. The big worry was, most the farm land is so flat, a rifle round will over travel its intended target. Not so bad when using slugs, but I enjoyed going to Kentucky or West Virginia for some rifle hunting. Sucks to get the hunting licenses though, thanks to the monsters that roam around. The mule deer we had in Ohio basically added up to small cattle.

Infidel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    Dallas
    Personally, I'd be in the 6.8SPC or above boat if I could use rifle in the midwest. You'd have to let off some pin point shots to take down the bucks we've got growing. Here's a smaller buck that was on my friend's property:
    8232_1127331310179_1434060056_30315784_6985522_n.jpg

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rod99
    Top Bottom