Join TexasGunTalk

Had to get my CHL renewed

Discussion in 'Texas LTC / CHL' started by Antares, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Antares

Antares Active Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Seabrook, TX
    Got a letter in the mail telling me I should renew. It is not due till Apr 2020 so I have heard horror stories about the process so I submitted my paperwork to renew. Waited a couple of weeks and received another letter telling me I forgot to enclose my DD form 214 showing I was honorably discharged and that I was a veteran. Even though it showed I was a veteran on my current CHL and also shows that I am a veteran on my drivers license which I sent in the first submittal. I resubmitted the requested paper work and now just waiting to hear from them again.

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known TGT Supporter

Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    They can't have a copy of my DD214 and I don't care if it says "veteran" or not though I'm reasonably sure they know. I don't want any special treatment for serving, its the least I can do for the liberties I enjoy.

BuzzinSATX likes this.
  3. gshayd

gshayd Ugliest house on the block.

Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    Being retired I submitted as a veteran because every $$$ counts. I need the money more than the state does.

4. candcallen

candcallen Well-Known

Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Well do it for me. I think you deserve more than can ever be paid.

Thanks.

BuzzinSATX, gll, kbaxter60 and 3 others like this.
  5. Dawico

Dawico Uncoiled Lifetime Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I received the same letter and am due in April as well.

I thought it odd but appreciate the reminder.

Guess I should get the paperwork going too.

6. Frank59

Frank59 NO MA'AM!! TGT Supporter

May 14, 2018
    Houston
    What paper work has to be submitted for renewal. Do you have to do fingerprints again as well? Just curious. I still have two years to go.

7. majormadmax

majormadmax TGT Addict

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    The form is a LTC-77, but it is simply a document drill to renew. You also have to include a LTC-85: Authorization for Release of Records and a LTC-86: Knowledge of Laws and Eligibility Affidavit. Both must be signed and notarized. Applicants who are born out of country (like myself) must provide unexpired lawful presence documents, i.e. Certificate of Naturalization, Permanent Resident Card, US Passport, etc.

No refresher course, shooting, photos or fingerprints are required (see Fact #5). Note the caveat: "We will use existing fingerprints and photos on file for renewal applications. However, sometimes the quality of those prints originally submitted no longer meets the State or FBI standards. If we are unable to use the fingerprints on file, you will be notified to obtain a new set of prints along with instructions on where you must be fingerprinted."

That said, it never hurts to refresh yourself on the Texas License to Carry a Handgun Laws and Selected Statutes 2017-2018. That is the latest copy, and there have likely been changes to the laws since you last renewed your license.

And it's a License to Carry (LTC) now, we haven't had CHLs since 31 Dec 2015...

Frank59 likes this.
  8. motorcarman

motorcarman Compulsive Collector

Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    Except as the title to this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. dsgrey

dsgrey Active Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    I just renewed mine last month after receiving a notice regarding my March expiration. Went online, filled out the info, paid and received mine in the mail about 3 weeks later. They were able to reuse my DL picture and prior fingerprints. Nothing to be notarized and a simple process.

10. Bozz10mm

Bozz10mm TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    What fresh hell is this? I don't remember doing any of that last year when I renewed. Nor do I remember re-submitting a copy of my DD214. I'm old, maybe I just forgot.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Frank59 likes this.