• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I'll sit out front for a while and hand out some candy.
    Doorbell and voices outside drive the dog nuts, I'll put him on a leash and let him sit with me.

Once the candy is gone, I'll kill the lights and try to find a decent movie to watch.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'll be hitting the streets with Elsa and a pirate.

Then got a Halloween party to take my daughter too tomorrow night and my sons birthday party Sunday. Busy weekend ahead.

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    Kids are older so we don't do the Trick or Treating anymore. Eldest son has a new girl. Think they are going to watch a movie at our house. Not planning on handing out candy. Been a busy few months, looking forward to maybe just watching some shows with my wife in the other room.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Lunch Gathering at Bone Daddy's today with the Gang...DW is out of town and our townhouse complex doesn't have many kiddos; so I may keep the house dark and head to Shady Oaks Gun Range during Trick or Treat time.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Update.
    Nascar truck race is tonight.
    I'll be "generous" to the early spooks and retire indoors by 7:30.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The local churches have all but killed Halloween in our area. They renamed it the "Fall Festival" and have activities in their parking lots. We haven't had "Trick or Treaters" in several years. The churches say that the day is a Pagan festival and shouldn't be celebrated! How ironic that churches make most of their religious "hay" out of Christmas without a thought about the roots of the holiday!

I have always hated Christmas and made a huge effort to understand the holiday so I could live with it more comfortably. I made a large notebook of the various celebrations that were combined from ethnic regions to make what we know today as Christmas.

The irony comes because most of the composite story that make up the 2014 version of Christmas have pagan, non Christian roots! Christmas as we know it today is also a very recent development originating from just prior to 1900 to the present day.

But don't tell the churches and the discount stores about that. Let them be blissful in their ignorance!

As to what I will do today......I listened to the Bach pipe organ piece that I know as the theme from "Phantom of the Opera." WOW! What a way to start the day!

Here's a taste of the Bach piece. It is a rendition which omits the massive low note at the beginning of the piece. That sucker opens up the HUGE low note of a pipe organ and wiil rattle the windows!

Flash

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    There's a Halloween get together at the local 7/11. I'm sure there will be plenty of 'tiny Halloween skirts' .....I mean costumes....

It's killeen after all. It's Halloween all year long around here.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I don't know if churches are really to blame for the death of Halloween (pun intended). I think it has more to do with people not being comfortable with their kids running around the neighborhood unsupervised. I think most of us can recall how during our childhood our parents wouldn't see us until dinner everyday. We were free to roam. That just doesn't happen much anymore.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    In our area, the churches began a campaign against Halloween and it had great success after a few years. It wasn't accidental. It was by design and they made a full effort to kill the "pagan" celebration.

It's a shame. I was a kid in Chicago and stayed out late with no parental supervision after age 10 or so. It was fun! Dad took the screen off of the storm door and handed out goodies to herds of costumed critters.

Flash

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I agree with Orbitup for my area.

Small town so kids still roam to an extent, but the city is trying to push everyone in to the town square which I refuse to be part of this year.

I'll be roaming the neighborhood with the kids, armed of course.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Trick or Treating isn't dead in San Marcos. We used to have a huge blow-out party. If you came to it, you were required to bring candy to pass out. We consistently had 1,000+ kids come by. Then we moved out of the "Hot Spot" area.

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    In a new house so not sure what to expect. Neighbors seem to be into it big time. Prolly buy some candy and see what happens. I used to hide around the side of the house and scare the crap out of kids but may be too early for that.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I love handing out candy. I'm in a small, previously isolated subdivision. Since last year, every square inch of available land in the area has sold and is being developed. In the past, I could predict to within plus or minus 5 how many trick or treaters I'd get each year - ~60. Last year, I ran out of candy early and that sucks.

I have to estimate it pretty close because I give out the 7 oz. Hershey bars.

Yep, the kids remember my house. :)

I used to do more but I've gotten lazy in the last few years. I used to slip new $2 bills in the old-style foil and paper Hershey wrappers; that's no longer possible with the new packaging. I also used to have a "best costume" contest where I'd give a ticket to anyone wearing a really good costume and tell them to come back at 9PM. Usually, no one came back. I've only had one who actually came back, so she won the prize: a 5 pound Hershey bar. Obviously, that idea went by the wayside after three years of trying and only giving away one bar.

I think I've always enjoyed Halloween, even as a kid, more than most people. As a kid, I used to wear a Pagliacci clown costume; yes, I was always a nerd. As an adult, I entered costume contests at bars, usually going for the classic Dracula look with full tails, the big medallion on a red ribbon, widow's peak make-up, and a huge cape. Once, I even managed to borrow the cape that was worn by George Hamilton in the movie Love at First Bite. At the time it was owned by a woman in Houston who was a friend of a family member. Eventually I got tired of losing to gimmick costumes (Any sheetrocker who's comfortable on their stilts can put them on, thrown on a black bed sheet, say their costume is "Death", and win the average costume contest.:() but I sure had fun for quite a few years.

I don't know why I like Halloween as much as I do but I always have and probably always will.

Top Bottom