ARJ Defense ad

Halp! .308 is nasty with rust (cat pee) and the BCG is seized (with a live round)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKUSP45C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Houston
    So, I have DPMS 308 upper that a cat peed on (like months ago, yes, I know I should pay more attention to my guns). The acidic nature of cat urine has eaten away the finish on much of the upper. It has a Hornady TAP round in the chamber but, the BCG is seized, it won't budge. I'm not too concerned with saving the round (obviously) or the rusty barrel but the Knight's Armament rail, upper receiver, BCG and internals are a big money item(s), to me.

I have heard a 30 weight oil bath for a day or two might be just the thing. I've heard a lot of things.

Do any of the gurus on the board know how I'm going to salvage any of the parts on the upper? Any help would be appreciated.
    Capitol Armory ad

TimberWolf7.62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Houston
    1. Kill the cat.
    2. Try flushing it with bleach, alcohol, or vinegar
    3. Refinish the part with parkerizing, duracote, etc. after removing the rust.

HKUSP45C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Houston
    Cat's dead (natural causes) ....
    Do I soak it?
    I intend on refinishing most of the upper, replacing the barrel and any other parts that look like they need it.

And, so I'm clear, no oil to kill the live round and lubricate the BCG?

TimberWolf7.62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Houston
    The bleach, alcohol, or vinegar is supposed to neutralize the cat pee so no further damage and smell occur. Soak or sponge on according to the level of pee still present (probably dried but still there).

To dislodge the round . . . WD40 the hell out of it from both ends (down the barrel and from the chamber). See if it will extract then. If not, you might want to take it to a gunsmith. Tapping a cleaning rod down the barrel is pretty risky in this case.

HKUSP45C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Houston
    The cat pee is months old, I washed the gun in hot soapy water. I don't think there's a good chance of further damage, and I don't care if there is. I just want the bolt to move so I can strip the BCG and see if it's toast, which I doubt. I don't see how fighting acid with more acid is going to be helpful though.

I'll try the WD-40 route, we'll see how it goes.

I'll report my experience. I would, however, like some more input, just in case.

HKUSP45C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Houston
    OK, I went and got WD40, now I see that may have been a bad idea. Marvel Mystery, PB Blaster, better ideas?

What about a soak in Ed's Red? Is that too low tech?

e4for2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    Leon county,Texas
    remove the upper-there is a space between the upper and the bolt where you can force the bolt open using a large screwdriver,,it's to the side a little,,I've used this method before,,if you try to force it with the charging handle,,that will ruin the handle,,this is after a good soak in oil,,also a wd-40 thru the gas holes in the bolt wtll help also

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    1) Kill the cat...dig it up if you have to...piss on it and re-bury it.

2) get you a large washtub or parts washtub and soak the hell out of it...Marvel Mystery Oil should do the trick for you...

3) Kill the cat...

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Kill the cat with a chainsaw!!! Then mail it to peta!!! Then go kill some more cats.
    I'll tell you one thing. getting a live round out of the rusted chamber is pretty nerve racking. I had a round get stuck in a 12 gauge a long time ago. The shell had a steel base and it rusted up. I didnt want to try knocking it out by no means. As I thought about wetting it to kill the charge, I realized I might try something easy.
    All I did was go outside and pull the trigger!! The shell fired, and it stayed in the bore. I went back in the shop and put a rod in the barrel and knocked it out.
    Doing this with a 12 gauge Vs. a tight bore rifle may be completely different.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    I was going to suggest a good long soak in coal oil (kerosene) but it's rather expensive and hard to find, perhaps diesel for a day or two to assist in freeing up the bolt carrier. And as to the cat, take him or her, whichever to the firing range and let him or her pull targets for you and other shooters there. And take a shovel for his or her interrment....

Top Bottom