Join TexasGunTalk

HAM Radio

Discussion in 'Electronics & Video Games' started by TexasBrandon, Mar 12, 2019.

1. TexasBrandon

TexasBrandon TGT Addict

Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I'm studying for the Technician license exam. My time in the army and around IT has helped quite the bit in the theory in the ARRL book that I bought. Its apparently their officially licensed book with the actual test questions spaced out across each subsection in the chapters. So far, I find most of it common sense but I have learned quite the bit.

My question is, how difficult is the actual exam? I know its 35 questions and I do fairly well on exams since I teach for a living. My notes book is covered in those sticky tabs and I keep reviewing material. I don't want to overstudy for the exam though.

2. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    N5ESJ here! If I passed it in 1976/77, and also general class, it can't be that difficult! :green:

3. TexasBrandon

TexasBrandon TGT Addict

Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Sounds good, I always put myself in the stupid category and assume the worst. I've failed very few exams in my lifetime. I can take IT exams and pass them with a near perfect score but HAM radio is not exactly in line with what I do. My background came from the Army and understanding transmissions.

4. tangoparson

tangoparson Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Unless it has changed, you can fail at least one entire section and still pass. Just remember, they don’t put your score on the license — a pass is a pass.

The worst part about the test in the generation I took it was that there were some questions that you either knew or didn’t. Such as what is the frequency bands for operation in 40 meters. Or about the rules. Those are just hard to intuit or calculate. Memorizing that crap is the only way i could do it. The theory was a snap. Could almost cipher that stuff in my head.

Good luck on it. If I can help let me know

Tango
    N5vhr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. TexasBrandon

TexasBrandon TGT Addict

Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Yeah I got the HF. VHF, UHF bands remembered and they were not that hard. All of the bandwidth stuff was easy too. It's just the whole 10Log() crap that hosed me up for awhile. Once they said you could take a calculator in on the exam I was a happy camper. I'm only half way through the book right now, I will probably take the exam next month assuming I don't get bogged down in my last Masters class.

6. Jwr1221

Jwr1221 Member

Jan 6, 2015
    Houston, TX
    I took it back in 2011. I studied for both the Tech and General and took them back to back in the same VE session. My studying was both the ARRL books and online practice exams. I'd take the practice exam and then go back and study the ones I missed in the books. Overall, aside from some memorization required (like the bands mentioned above), it wasn't bad at all...
    With your history, sounds like you'd be fine with some prep work!

7. satx78247

satx78247 TGT Addict

Jun 23, 2014
    TexasBrandon,

IF I can pass the tech test & I did in 1988, you can easily do so, as I'm FAR from expert in electronics/theory.

BEST WISHES, satx

8. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    All good info above, in my opinion.

satx78247 likes this.
  9. ScorpionHunter

ScorpionHunter Active Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Driftwood
    There are some free online practice tests that are created from the official question pool. Once you read through the study material, you can go through those questions over and over again to give yourself a near 100% probability of passing the real test on the first try. If there's anything that you have trouble with, just memorize those questions and the answers. That should save you some time.

satx78247 likes this.
  10. TexasBrandon

TexasBrandon TGT Addict

Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Yeah Ive never been one to memorize questions and answers without at least understanding why the answer is what is shown. That being said, memorizing an entire book, even this small with this amount of material can be difficult so the question pool that is given in the book will be helpful. I also created an account on a ham exam site that uses the question pool you described. Assuming my final Masters degree class isn't too time consuming, I plan to test next month.