• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ikillbugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2015
    Gun Barrel City
    Hi all,

Brand new here. I joined to get some input... today and in the future as well.
    Here's the situation. I took my truck in a while ago for service and they are going to do more work than originally planned, it'll take 3-4 hours so I left the truck there and got a ride home. I'll pick it up when they call.
    Before I left I remembered my revolver in the center console, went to retrieve it but they already had the truck in the bay and on the lift. I asked the young guy at the counter if he would make sure the truck was locked when they are done... and it was very important it gets locked. I did not want to stir anything up since we had spent half the morning back and forth over the repairs, what is covered under warranty, some mis-communication, etc so the guy was a little irritated with me already (and I with him). So I didn't want to have him go out and get the truck down and further cause some friction, so I did not mention the gun, just asked him politely to be doubly sure the truck gets secured.

My question is, what liability am I facing should a service tech cause death or injury should he find and play with my gun? I am also concerned about a customer who might find it should the truck be left unlocked.

The gun is in the center console, UNDER the jump seat in the middle, so in order to find it, one would have to raise the jump seat, then open the center console. It really cannot be discovered by accident unless people are being nosy, or if it is mistaken for a truck on the lot to be sold, not in for repair. This is a Ford dealership, and they have new and used vehicles parked right there along with the customers' cars.

I'm probably making something out of nothing, but gun ownership rights come with an extreme amount of responsibility.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Of course you would not be liable if the technician steals your gun from your truck and commits a crime with it. The same applies if a customer burglarizes your vehicle and steals your gun. Make no mistake, if they pull the gun out of the console and play with it, that is theft.

ikillbugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2015
    Gun Barrel City
    Theft is one thing. Mishandling it is another. It's loaded and ready to fire. I'm not so much worried about theft as I am somebody getting hurt or killed just from mishandling it. If it's stolen, I can file a report and then it's not on me.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Instead of joining and posting here, you should be in route to retrieve the weapon. You owe them no explanation of what type or why you need to get your property, just that you do.

Welcome

ikillbugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2015
    Gun Barrel City
    ^^ Sound advice but easier said than done. I called my friend and neighbor to come get me and he was just walking out the door to go somewhere. He was pressed for time and I tried to tell him it's OK I will just hang out but he's a great guy and came up and got me anyway. He won't be back for a couple hours and he's my ride back up to the dealership. Like I said before, I am probably making something out of nothing here. It was just that little nagging voice that prompted me to join and ask the question. Thanks for the replies.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    ^^ Sound advice but easier said than done. I called my friend and neighbor to come get me and he was just walking out the door to go somewhere. He was pressed for time and I tried to tell him it's OK I will just hang out but he's a great guy and came up and got me anyway. He won't be back for a couple hours and he's my ride back up to the dealership. Like I said before, I am probably making something out of nothing here. It was just that little nagging voice that prompted me to join and ask the question. Thanks for the replies.
    Listen to the voice. Get your gun.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Listen to the voice. Get your gun. And if it is missing notify the cops asap.
    And prosecute

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    It sounds like the gun is in a place where a person would have to be looking to find it. I wouldn't worry about it.

Did you leave a screw driver in there? A hammer? A wrench? A rap CD? Etc. They are all dangerous in the wrong hands.

It isn't like you left the gun on the seat with the windows down in front of a middle school.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    It sounds like the gun is in a place where a person would have to be looking to find it. I wouldn't worry about it.

Did you leave a screw driver in there? A hammer? A wrench? A rap CD? Etc. They are all dangerous in the wrong hands.

It isn't like you left the gun on the seat with the windows down in front of a middle school.
    :roflfunny:

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx

But but about the little white chillin

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas

+1,

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    If you can go get your firearm and you do not have your CHL, you might want to have a case (or something) to put it in for transport....just a thought
    my reply was due to the fact that you seem pretty worried about it. I go along with the majority, if it were me in that situation, I would not worry about it.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I leave all sorts of crap in my truck when I take it to get service. Tools, guns, ammo, walkies, lingerie, whatever... I expect none of it to get messed with as it's not in the way of the work they have to do. If they are snooping and find your gun, that's on them.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    As is, set tight. No need to be paranoid.

In the future, get the gun out before you leave. If " incurance policy" prohibits you from getting it yourself, tell the service writer "I want my gun from the console". And a bag to put it in.

I'll probably get flamed, but that's what I'd do, and have done multiple times.

ikillbugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2015
    Gun Barrel City
    Welcome to the forum. Did you just move here from Vermont?
    Wonder why you would ask that. No I moved here from North Carolina almost 10 years ago.

I leave all sorts of crap in my truck when I take it to get service. Tools, guns, ammo, walkies, lingerie, whatever... I expect none of it to get messed with as it's not in the way of the work they have to do. If they are snooping and find your gun, that's on them.
    Funny you mention that. I also have $1000 worth of tools behind the seat. Never had any concern about that :/ Anyway, my truck is ready and my ride is here... LATER!

Top Bottom