• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Hey, I've been considering for a bit on what caliber.

I thought I had made up my mind, but I keep changing it. I guess I'm just looking for a good deal to show up.

First I thought 44, then 357 mag kind of came up. . . I mean, it is texas and the deer are . . . .no going to eat me. Then back to 44, when. . well why the heck not 454 casull.

I can't make up my mind. I'm pretty cost conscious, but I reload, so . . . that kind of cuts the cost factor of ammo down, a bunch, but you can still plink with 357 mag for a lot cheaper than 454's.

Any opinions?
    DK Firearms

riggergreg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Whitewright
    I hunted for years with a Redhawk .41 mag. 7 1/2 " brl with 2X Burris scope. Got a few mulies, whitetails, and an antelope or two. Comfortable to shoot and plenty of power.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    I hunt with a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44mag. I just haven't had anything come within my range yet. One of my friends has taken a couple of doe's with a 44mag (Blackhawk) that I traded him a few years ago. He really likes the 44mag. cartridge, especially on hogs.

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    What about the T/C Encore? Available in a lot of good calibers that are much more efficient than revolver cartriges. Just a thought.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    I hunter for years with a Ruger 44mag SBB with a 10.5 bull barrel.
    Hand loaded 185gr JHP 22.0 gr 2400 and mag primed.
    Deadly at 100 yards.
    This round works fair in a shorter barrel gun but is limited to about 50 - 65 yards before to much energy bleeds off and the bullet starts to drop fast.
    Under 50 yards a well placed neck shot will snap their neck and they fall right there.
    Out past 75 yards you need a good shoulder shot.
    Missed a couple but they were found with in 50 yards of where they were shot dead just the same.
    If hunting under 50 yards I would some times use a 200 gr JHP @ 21.0gr 2400 mag primed. Nothing but neck shots there.
    So much for the good ol days when I could afford to hunt!

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    heheh mark me down for .454

(ive alwasy wanted one of those since i saw 'Hellsing')

Rifleman55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    A Ruger or Smith in .44 mag with the right load will kill any Texas whitetail, the shooter is the weak link, Old Elmer hit a wounded mulie at about 600 yds and put it down. He also practiced at that range so he knew where to hold. Most of us could not hit the side of a barn at that range with a hand gun. For me 75 yards would be max.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    600 yards. . . . .with a handgun?

Fish story.

Besides. I help a .460 S&W at Bass pro today. Seemed like it would be a lot of fun to shoot.

I know you don't "need" anything so big, but why not?

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    My dads gonna try my .41 mag out this year. I'm waiting to put a scope on my Ruger super redhawk.

Scopes on pistols can be like a nail in the out house toilet seat, -at close range - a real pain in the ass!
    After one season the scope came off mine - to many missed opportunities because of the scope.
    Any deer that come in to close ya just can't get a clear site picture on.
    Today I can't hit crap compared to 10 years ago.
    1st I can't see anymore and seconds don't get enough trigger time with the 44 - to costly these days!
    But a dam fine white tail gun!

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    Ruger Redhawk with a classic Elmer Keith load, 240 grain cast lead bullet with 22 graiins of 2400. T/C Super 14 30-30..Premier grade 454 casull.
    Biggest kill was a 23 inch inside spread mule deer , 5x5 with a .45 auto at about 30 yards. I was lucky with that one.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The Elmer Keith story is true. I believe it was his third shot. He "walked" the shots to the deer. The deer was already wounded and about to get away. He shot alot and knew his gun very well.

Handgun calibers depend on range. 357 is ok for short range, but you need bigger and faster to increase distance. That is what all the hype is about with the 460. It is considered a 200+ yard hunting gun. It is very fast and flat shooting.

The key to handgun hunting is to be familiar with your gun, as in shooting it alot, especially from field positions. Some recommend thousands of rounds, but that is a little excessive IMO, unless you are new to guns.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I'd love to have a 460, but that is overkill (mainly on the $$$). I could just load them lighter, but I have no need for the big bang or the ability to kill a deer at 200 yards with a handgun.

Maybe someday.

S&W439

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Hardin, Texas
    I hunted for a long time with a Ruger New model Black hawk in 357 mag. I killed quite a few deer with it. I kept my shots less than 75 yards and most were under 50. I also had a 4X scope on it.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I'd love to have a 460, but that is overkill (mainly on the $$$). I could just load them lighter, but I have no need for the big bang or the ability to kill a deer at 200 yards with a handgun.

Maybe someday.

The nice thing about the .460 is that you can shoot .454
    casull and .45LC out of it.

fm2

Event Coordinator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I like something bigger than a 357. Some of it depends how you like to hunt, the terrain and if you might run into some wild pigs. If it's thick vegitation, the scoped 460 with a long barrel may work against you. If you are in the open, why not a scoped contender?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    D54G
    Top Bottom