DK Firearms

Have the chance to pick up a 1983 GMC Sierra....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Oh, quick question before I may waste a trip tomorrow.

Do I need to have the vehicle inspected, before I get it registered, or the other way around, or does it matter?

I can't find anything specific, and I just thought about it this afternoon.

I believe they are independant of each other. If memory serves you can get either one first.

Also, you have a grace period after buying a vehicle to get it legal. I thought it was 30 days but I may be mistaken. The law recognizes that you need to move the vehicle to get it repaired for inspection, get the inspection, and get registration. I believe some places may need to see the vehicle to insure it. As long as you have current insurance on another vehicle you are covered.

Now this is just my understanding of the law. But if you do get pulled over just tell them a guy on the internet told you it is ok............

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    Well you know, this lady on the internet said she is a french model...

Hah. And ive already added it to my insurance, nust need to get inspected and registered. Just didnt want to run into any issues along the way.

And if course, i slept in so im not going today to get it registered, itll gave to be tomorrow! Gotta get ready for work.

Last edited:

atticus finch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Oh, quick question before I may waste a trip tomorrow.

Do I need to have the vehicle inspected, before I get it registered, or the other way around, or does it matter?

I can't find anything specific, and I just thought about it this afternoon.

If memory serves me correctly, you'll need the safety lane done before they'll tag it.

As for it sitting. I was wondering how long it'd been sitting as the valve stem seals can dry out or harden if it's been sitting long enough. Ditto for the rings to take a set relative to the cylinder wall.
    A few months sitting likely won't be long enough to do so.

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    Cool. Ill be bringing it into town saturday, then getting inspected on monday, save everythingb they check works correctly.

Now question. The front drivers side has a rubbing sound that speeds up and slows with the tire. It is not a constant sound and is not the engine. It seems to be only a part of the tire rubbing on SOMETHING. when he hopped out to check, we could not tell where/if it was actually rubbing.

Any ideas, and safe to drive 40 miles freeway speeds into town?

Sounds nothing like a wheel bearing.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Cool. Ill be bringing it into town saturday, then getting inspected on monday, save everythingb they check works correctly.

Now question. The front drivers side has a rubbing sound that speeds up and slows with the tire. It is not a constant sound and is not the engine. It seems to be only a part of the tire rubbing on SOMETHING. when he hopped out to check, we could not tell where/if it was actually rubbing.

Any ideas, and safe to drive 40 miles freeway speeds into town?

Sounds nothing like a wheel bearing.

Calipers not releasing due sitting?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    Entirely possible Winchester. Rotors not warped though, truck, pedal and ateering do not act strangely when brake is applied with some force.

If it turns out to be unsafe, ive got tow coverage on my insurance.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I got an '88 Ford Ranger a number of years ago that had been sitting for years. Had a similar brake issue. Calipers hung closed - they never felt weird but after ~40 miles at highway speeds, made the wheels so hot they'd sizzle if you spit on them. Brakes aren't something you want to mess with - I'd at least look at them.

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    Squeaking Sound - YouTube

Hers the sound I have been talking about. Any ideas?

Got it home after a 38 Mile drive, at 75 MPH. Runs well, just this squeak, and a shudder sort of sound at 75 which goes away when I slow down just a tad. Headlights could use adjustment, big time. Needs new Windshield wipers, and horn could use replacing. Otherwise, should pass inspection, unless they ding me for the smoke!

Last edited:

atticus finch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Entirely possible Winchester. Rotors not warped though, truck, pedal and ateering do not act strangely when brake is applied with some force.

If it turns out to be unsafe, ive got tow coverage on my insurance.

Was there rust on the front rotors? If it was sitting for several months there likely was and as you're driving the pads float on the rotor, scraping against the rust. Does the sound go away or get louder when you hit the brakes?
    I couldn't get the audio to work so I couldn't hear the sound, my first thought since the truck doesn't pull to either side when you touch the brakes is you're hearing the pads working against rusted brake rotors. Drive it for a while & see if the sound dissipates. What you may hear next are the front brakes squealing, which means the pads glazed over after the rust was ground off.
    The shudder sound at speed, if there's any vibration associated with it, is likely the tires unbalanced or a flat spot on one of them from sitting.

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    Appreciate the input, again. I will need to go drive around the block again real quick to check and be sure, but i dont think it stops when brake is applied.

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    So, took the truck around the block. Took my Dad and his Girlfriend with me, to see if they could hear anything, and... Nothing. What? No squeaking, and only minor creaking (like any old pickup SHOULD have.)

Could it be weight dependent?

Top Bottom