Patriot Mobile

Have the chance to pick up a 1983 GMC Sierra....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Let's put it into gun relations, since this is a gun board. IF you were to cut down the barrel of a rifle or shotgun ... or to have in your possession a machine gun ... what are the chances of the ATF coming and knocking on your door? Assuming you don't commit a crime, probably pretty slim. However, there are still consequences for it. It's up to you if it's worth the risk.

That's illegal on the state level, and enforced as such. If registration and inspection were required, as for vehicles, you'd be caught by the state. At that point your point about consequences holds water. But alas, the state specifically doesn't regulate emissions on vehicles older than 26 years, and nobody in this state gets a fed inspection on a personal vehicle. Try again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Military Camp

atticus finch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Yes, the question they listed was specifically for the catalytic convertor, but that is part of the emissions system. Doesn't matter what part is disabled, it's still technically illegal to bypass.

As I understood your original comment, air injection tubes are also part of emission control and hence illegal to remove or disable, which would be the same for a catalytic converter. That according to the regs listed there both would be illegal under federal law for an engine subject to those regs, which is not in dispute at all.
    Nothing there specifically mentions exempted vehicles, as I understand those regs it does specify engines and/or vehicles subject to those regs. The question is, why would a vehicle be considered exempt and yet subject to regulations from which it's exempt.
    Is there a section of the regulations which covers this question? I would like to know it for my own information.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    As I understood your original comment, air injection tubes are also part of emission control and hence illegal to remove or disable, which would be the same for a catalytic converter. That according to the regs listed there both would be illegal under federal law for an engine subject to those regs, which is not in dispute at all.
    Nothing there specifically mentions exempted vehicles, as I understand those regs it does specify engines and/or vehicles subject to those regs. The question is, why would a vehicle be considered exempt and yet subject to regulations from which it's exempt.
    Is there a section of the regulations which covers this question? I would like to know it for my own information.

State exempts it from emissions testing, not the federal government. The law making it illegal to tamper is a federal law, thus there is no exemption. On top of that, I do believe there is a state level law making it illegal to tamper with OE emissions equipment as well. It would be only a visual inspection as far as the state is concerned though. I ran across it, but didn't save the page. Not near the computer anyhow right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    I'm a horrible environs hating person in my straight piped 12v blowing smoke everywhere woe is me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Meh it's old and mechanically injected, I haven't purposely tweaked it to smoke.

franzas

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    I'm a horrible environs hating person in my straight piped 12v blowing smoke everywhere woe is me.

Pipe on a Cummins is downright awesome. My neighbor had one, it would wake you up in the morning. My 7.3 is very quiet in comparison.

Straight sixes are the tits. I love the 4.0 in the Jeep

atticus finch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Alright. Another video! Got this earlier today. This was after warming to running temp, driving 3 miles, then stopped for a little in idle before video. Not sure how well the quality is on youtube, but here it is: Truck smoke - YouTube

I couldn't get the video to work too well, only got maybe a few seconds of it to play. I didn't see that much in the way of smoke, some haze but not too severe. Was there sound on the video? I couldn't get any sound so I don't know if you were revving up & down at all.

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    Has that truck been sitting for a fairly long time or has it been in relatively continuous operation?

From what he said, It's been at least a couple of months since he drove it last, and even longer before the time before that. It was last registered in '12 if that gives any idea of daily driving... Haha.

On another note, got my Service Manual for it in the mail today!

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    Bought the truck today... Got my Title, Insurance and bill of sale stuff in order. Just need to go in to the tax office on Tuesday to get it registered in my name. Huzzah.
    And of course, I forgot to grab pictures! It's currently sitting on a friends property, since I didn't want to chance driving it all the way into San Antonio without plates, or anything on there.. :P

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    Oh, quick question before I may waste a trip tomorrow.

Do I need to have the vehicle inspected, before I get it registered, or the other way around, or does it matter?

I can't find anything specific, and I just thought about it this afternoon.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Oh, quick question before I may waste a trip tomorrow.

Do I need to have the vehicle inspected, before I get it registered, or the other way around, or does it matter?

I can't find anything specific, and I just thought about it this afternoon.

For vehicle inspection:

1. Proof of liability insurance: any current state insurance is acceptable.
    2. Payment: Official Inspection Station accepts cash, check and credit cards (Visa & Master Card). Texas state law requires that payment is made whether your vehicle passes or fails inspection.
    3. Photo ID: this must be current and valid. If you are registering your vehicle in the state of Texas, you will need a photo ID in order to acquire your VI-30 or green sheet.

Top Bottom