• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Apologies if this is dupe, i couldn't find another thread about HB957 here or the NFA section. Please move or delete as appropriate.

So HB 957 just passed per https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=87R&Bill=HB957
    A few websites have described the bill as
    What this bill does:
    • Repeal TX criminalization of suppressor possession apart from Federal regulations. (TX Penal Code 46.05(a)(6).)
    • Establish a class of “Made in Texas” suppressors that must be manufactured in Texas from Texas-made parts, must stay in Texas, and are exempt from Federal regulations
    • Give a path to secure a declaratory judgment on the constitutionality of this law before someone manufactures “Made in Texas” suppressors.

Its been a very long time since my high school government classes. Can someone spoon feed me what can happen next with this bill? Anyone know if we'll have 'legal' suppressors soon?
    Lynx Defense

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I really don't understand the logic of this unless they think the feds won't prosecute (like marijuana). Someone besides me will have to be the test case for this.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    So true, its nearly identical to federal marijuana laws. Either individuals get popped for federal crimes, or the manufacturers get hit. I'll bet the ATF goes after manufactures before individuals, except a select few to get legal precedent. I'm optimistic because they don't bother with marijuana grow farms, dispensaries, or individuals.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Ask the disabled KS vet sitting in a federal pound ‘em in the ašš prison how well their ‘Made in KS’ suppressor law worked out. Fun idea, but ends with the public getting anally raped.

This law should never have passed.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    This bill may be all for show..
    One major teir of this bills language says that the Federal Court has to approve it before it goes into effect and people can start producing Made In Texss Suppressors..
    What are those odds?

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Screenshot_20210523-075222_Facebook.jpg

Got that from The Truth About Guns article

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Ask the disabled KS vet sitting in a federal pound ‘em in the ašš prison how well their ‘Made in KS’ suppressor law worked out. Fun idea, but ends with the public getting anally raped.

This is the disturbing statement in that article.

"President Donald Trump’s administration had asked the court to leave the convictions in place."

From what i remember about the story when it happened, he was posting on social media about his new toy. Im pretty sure that got the flags going for the feds.

Last edited:

OneGunTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2021
    Houston

Being a guinea pig for a state's rights case sucks. However, the two gentlemen were not sentenced to prison. They are, however, convicted felons.

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    It would be more promising if the state of Texas also declared themselves a 2A sanctuary state.

Don't remember the bill number and what the status is, but there was such a bill.

Edit:
    Found it. https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=87R&Bill=HB2622

Seems the bill failed to pass the Senate

Edit #2:

I don't really know wtf is going on with this bill. The above link says it failed a Senate vote, but a twitter post by the bill's author said it passed the Senate 21hrs ago.

Last edited:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I'm on the fence as to why this bill was passed..was it done for show..knowing it wouldn't pass Fed courts or was it done to test the courts and start a bigger battle that would help us in the end.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I'm on the fence as to why this bill was passed..was it done for show..knowing it wouldn't pass Fed courts or was it done to test the courts and start a bigger battle that would help us in the end.
    You mean the same courts that stated Texas didn't have any standing, when charging that other states violated the constitution in changing their voting laws through non-legislative means?

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I really don't understand the logic of this unless they think the feds won't prosecute (like marijuana). Someone besides me will have to be the test case for this.
    The logic is if it can get to SCOTUS they could do one of four things;
    1: refuse to hear the case
    2: rule Texas doesn't have the authority
    3: strike down some or all if the NFA
    4: Accept Texas' reasoning and allow in state cans to be made and used in state.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    4: Accept Texas' reasoning and allow in state cans to be made and used in state.

Yes; considering option 1 has already been exercised, I’m not optimistic for any of the other options.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx

The federal government was only supposed to be the arbitrator of state laws that either went against the constitution, or affected other states. Our forefathers knew that laws should never be blanket laws for all states. What's good for one state, doesn't mean it's good for all. Unfortunately, the federal government of today is not what they had intended.

As far as SCOTUS, well, they've already shown that the constitution only matters if they decide to rule on it.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    The federal government was only supposed to be the arbitrator of state laws that either went against the constitution, or affected other states. Our forefathers knew that laws should never be blanket laws for all states. What's good for one state, doesn't mean it's good for all. Unfortunately, the federal government of today is not what they had intended.

As far as SCOTUS, well, they've already shown that the constitution only matters if they decide to rule on it.

Sounds like tyranny to me....

Top Bottom