• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Millerwb

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Bryan
    Being a guinea pig for a state's rights case sucks. However, the two gentlemen were not sentenced to prison. They are, however, convicted felons.

There is a very big difference in the KS law and the TX law. The KS law stated that the suppressor could be manufactured anywhere but if they were sold and stayed in KS then the NFA rules didn’t apply. The problem is that Congress and the Feds get to control Interstate Commerce. The TX law states that the entire suppressor has to be manufactured in TX and stay in TX. Therefore it would be Intrastate Commerce and the Feds cannot regulate.

It is an interesting tactic and I will be watching to see if it is successful. It is also interesting to read the actual text of the TX and KS laws to see the difference.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The TX law states that the entire suppressor has to be manufactured in TX and stay in TX. Therefore it would be Intrastate Commerce and the Feds cannot regulate.
    Unfortunately even if you started by digging up iron ore on your own property and smelting it to eventually make your suppressor, SCOTUS still considers that interstate commerce.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I have 3 Texas based suppressor, but the company no longer exists.

Do any of yours look like this?

86483f6d7df3e50e0e32f3dddd81d02d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Ask the disabled KS vet sitting in a federal pound ‘em in the ašš prison how well their ‘Made in KS’ suppressor law worked out. Fun idea, but ends with the public getting anally raped.

This law should never have passed.

“President Donald Trump’s administration had asked the court to leave the convictions in place.”

Thanks Don lol

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    Sec. 2.053. MARKETING OF FIREARM SUPPRESSOR. A firearm suppressor manufactured and sold in this state must have the words "Made in Texas" clearly stamped on it.

Sec. 2.054. ATTORNEY GENERAL. On written notification to the attorney general by a United States citizen who resides in this state of the citizen's intent to manufacture a firearm suppressor to which Section 2.052 applies, the attorney general shall seek a declaratory judgment from a federal district court in this state that Section 2.052 is consistent with the United States Constitution.

Am I reading this correctly that if I decide to manufacture my own suppressor, I need to contact the TX AJ and get declaratory judgement from a federal district court?

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Don't post your "look at what I made" on social media and you'll be ahead of the game...
    That's kinda a given for anything in a grey area. My concern is if a Texas company makes them, sells them online or even locally, and they have to release sales records after the fact. Did you commit a federal felony or would they treat it like states with marijuana/immigration laws that also ignore federal law. Like someone else earlier said, I don't want to get on the crossfire of determining if the laws are kosher, but I'm all for easier accessable suppressors.

James1979

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2021
    San Antonio
    Sounded promising, but until the ATF is effectively kicked out of Texas, not sure it amounts to much.

Also, I’m all for kicking the ATF out of Texas. Can we get that bill written and voted on?
    We have to have a law passed.in Washington, or it just won't due.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    That's kinda a given for anything in a grey area. My concern is if a Texas company makes them, sells them online or even locally, and they have to release sales records after the fact. Did you commit a federal felony or would they treat it like states with marijuana/immigration laws that also ignore federal law. Like someone else earlier said, I don't want to get on the crossfire of determining if the laws are kosher, but I'm all for easier accessable suppressors.

I seriously doubt the ATF is just going to ignore anyone bypassing getting a federal tax stamp and doing the paperwork on a suppressor.

Kansas has a very similar law they passed a few years ago. ATF charged them, federal prosecutors took them to court and got a conviction. State of Kansas to my understanding even sat in and tried to help with the appeals. To no avail. They are now convicted felons.

Top Bottom