• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Yea, Parker and Wise counties are a good bet, commute may be a bit longer.

I have been screaming this for YEARS: But land that is NOT in the city limits of anything, nor part of any subdivision our housing area. NOTE: A lot of ranches have been converted into housing developments and while they may be rural they also (can) come with baggage of home owners dues and regulations so ask for them before you buy.

Optimally what you want is a deed to your land that says: "Unrestricted" property, land, acreage. This gives you max freedom, you can do as you please, its what my deed says. LOT of that in Wise county.
    Gun Zone Deals

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Rhome and Boyd are both good areas. Got kin that live up to Boyd and they love it up there. Stay away from the Justin/TMS (Texas Motor Speedway) areas. Commutes can get nasty bad on race weekends. Azle and points west should also be good, unless things have changed dramatically in the last decade. Know some people up near Eagle Mountain area as well. They like it but, was a bit on the pricey side.

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    Be aware that "Unrestricted" is a 'double-edged-sword'.
    Your neighbor might have a hog farm right next door and there is NOTHING you can do about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If roosters crowing at dawn annoys you, buy a large enough property. (no neighbors within earshot)

Freedom means people will do things that pi$$ you off.

My deed is "Unrestricted" but I work on cars here on my property in my own shop and have a dozen 'junk' cars for parts. I also shoot on my property and make noise. If something like that bothers you, then you might reconsider 'livin'-in-the-country'.

bob

flashhole

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2013
    We have 30 acres here in NY and my property adjoins 100 acres of open land and beyond that are two farms 2000 + acres each. I have to drive past two dairy farms and two saw mills to get to work (that was the commute until yesterday). We enjoy seclusion and looking forward to finding something similar in TX. I shoot from the house when I want and it is very common to hear gun shots in the area.

flashhole

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2013
    This is the setting.

uZ0ic72.jpg

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I want to warn you, Texas is not NY. Its hot here in the summer, can be bitter cold in DFW area in the winter with ice storms. Its also either wet or dry and its dry more than its wet. I have been all thru NY and not just NYC either, its very beautiful up there and we have beauty, but it's fleeting.

From my front yard this past fall.
    img_0236_med.jpg

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    OP, if you decide to settle around Wise county, let me know. I know a real estate agent there who is a real go getter.

flashhole

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2013
    Ole Cowboy - very nice. Thanks for sharing. We lived in Tijeras, New Mexico for 6 years and I lived in Tucson, AZ for 5 years and we lived for 6 years in Ramona, CA so we know what to expect and are looking forward to the dryer hotter climate.

TxStetson - send me the contact info for the realtor. Thanks for the help.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Ole Cowboy - very nice. Thanks for sharing. We lived in Tijeras, New Mexico for 6 years and I lived in Tucson, AZ for 5 years and we lived for 6 years in Ramona, CA so we know what to expect and are looking forward to the dryer hotter climate.

TxStetson - send me the contact info for the realtor. Thanks for the help.
    He said hotter not dryer.

flashhole

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2013
    I'm anticipating a property with a well. What's the water situation like? I see lakes and creeks on the map so I assume there is a pretty robust underground water table.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    There are 2-3 aquifers that could be maybe 100 foot down or much deeper depending on where you at. There are some areas where shallow wells exist with springs... watch for flood plains with the various branches of the Trinity river. There are places in Wise county where bridges and roads have to be closed due to high water.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kennethreyes
    Top Bottom