Lynx Defense

Hello Y'all, Californian here (No, I'm not a leftist, tranny, gay, degenerate, etc)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    My wife is from Huntington Beach, still has family in Orange County. Pretty country out there. I really like the Ventura area. Great surf fishing there.

One difference, not completely addressed above, is that camping and shooting are separate here in Texas. There are LOTS of camping areas, that encompass all sorts of terrain.

Coastal areas, some you can literally camp right on the beach are fun, small fee if at all.

West Texas is mostly desert terrain, but have some spectacular things to take in.

East Texas piney woods are awesome, but its fairly humid in those areas, which is not important October - April.

Central Texas and the Hill Country have some interesting terrain and some great things to see.

But you need to pick a spot to camp at. Then google a shooting range nearby. Or get on here and ask about that area. Members cover every part of the state.

Welcome aboard.
    Venture Surplus ad

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Welcome from a Texan who just happened to be born in/live in CA for 45 years.

This group is flopping between BLM off-roading and RVs, and comparing electric bills in LA county and here. One guy is saying $900/mo as a high point for him.

Another guy is talking about being fined by the water company for exceeding the expected usage for his household for six months in a row.

I can sorta relate.

The only thing I miss about CA is the off-roading. We’d sometimes have 30+ RVs in a giant circle, riding, shooting and blowing shit up in the desert.

But the libs are ruining all of that, their cancer spreads far beyond population centers.

When we left, the big push to close BLM land to off-roaders was in the name of “dust mitigation”. In the freaking desert.

Even Pismo will close soon to OHV.

Glamis had significant portions closed due to “protecting the milk vetch (plant)”. The libs falsified conclusions for studies that actually showed off-roading assisted in spreading the seeds of this plant. It took years for the courts to re-hear the case and reverse their decision, yet a lot of Glamis remains closed.

Edit:
    Typos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    toddnJoyce,

When folks start a sentence with: "The way we did it (any subject) back in california..." or wax nostalgic I ask: Why'd you leave?

You’re more polite than I; if I’m going to respond it’s along the lines of nobody cares how you did it back there. If you do, go back. Otherwise, assimilate to Texas.

Side note: the second guy after me was Dan Alarik, himself a recent transplant.

Neither he nor I said a word during the entire conversation.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2019
    Irvine, CA
    toddnJoyce,

When folks start a sentence with: "The way we did it (any subject) back in california..." or wax nostalgic I ask: Why'd you leave?

The only thing I would miss about California is family and friends, other than that, this place is pretty lame. The deserts and mountains are nice, but it's impossible to enjoy anything in this state anymore because of the leftist political climate.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    In Texas there may not be BLM land, but the idea of owning some actual acreage can be a reality for the average person. Unlike a certain west coast state.

And there is nothing better than having your own dirt. At least as long as you make the rent payment to the state (property tax).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2019
    Irvine, CA
    In Texas there may not be BLM land, but the idea of owning some actual acreage can be a reality for the average person. Unlike a certain west coast state.

And there is nothing better than having your own dirt. At least as long as you make the rent payment to the state (property tax).

Is it common for people to buy acres just to use them for camping? I've honestly been looking around all day and found this: https://www.landwatch.com/pid/333018141

I'm thinking about taking my life savings and maybe getting a mortgage so I can own this, just so me and my friends have a kick ass lot in Texas where we can shoot, camp, and listen to heavy metal.

Last edited by a moderator:

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Is it common for people to buy acres just to use them for camping? I've honestly been looking around all day and found this: https://www.landwatch.com/pid/333018141

I'm thinking about taking my life savings and maybe getting a mortgage so I can own this, just so me and my friends have a kick ass lot in Texas where we can shoot, camp, listen to heavy metal, and get plastered.
    Nice area, not the Hill Country which I would love to be, but the Abilene area is pretty nice too.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Welcome from a Texan who just happened to be born in/live in CA for 45 years.

I can sorta relate.

The only thing I miss about CA is the off-roaring. We’d sometime have 30+ RV in a giant circle, riding, shooting and blowing shit up in the desert.

But the libs are ruining all of that, their cancer spreads far beyond population centers.

When we left, the big push to close BLM land to off-roaders was in the name of “dust mitigation”. In the freaking desert.

Even Pismo will close soon to OHV.

Glamis had significant portions closed due to “protecting the milk vetch (plant)”. The libs falsified conclusions for studies that actually showed off-roading assisted in spreading the seeds of this plant. It took years for the courts to re-hear the case and reverse their decision, yet a lot of Glamis remains closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Didn't they close off some of the Imperial Sand Dunes due to the same thing?

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Shooting is done at ranges or on private land. Almost all Texas dirt is private property.

@CalifornianTexaboo

If shooting is something you want to do regularly when you move to Texas, you should be sure to buy enough Texas land in a place where you can reasonably do it.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    anibal79
    Top Bottom