• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I think Youngun has pretty much illustrated the way most are going to answer your question, TXI. I personally always wear a helmet but can't see any reason that those who choose not to shouldn't receive emergency medical care. You keep referring to automobiles as an example...should those not wearing a seatbelt not be attended to? Should we not respond to any accident where a person didn't take ever precaution? I'm sure most of us have been guilty or taking part in some activity with a measure of danger but I don't believe that disqualifies any of us from receiving aid.

Brought to you courtesy of Tapatalk
    Gun Zone Deals

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Wow, home now so 'caught up before making this post. I'll try to type quickly.

I fully expect to say my final farewell on two wheels. I mademthat choice years ago. Folks try to kill me every time I swing a leg over. I will eventually fail to anticipate their inattention, and it will possibly be fatal. But, I ain't skeer't. My will has funds in place to burn what's left and finance a hell of amparty for those that might remember me fondly. I also have a DNR in place.

I don't have a death wish, but I can see reality. Technology continues to make the roads more dangerous with driver's doing everything but paying attention to the task of driving. I deal with it and before I carried, I was known for denting car doors and fenders with my boot then inviting drivers to pull over and discuss why I left my mark. These days I shake my head and roll on.

Should roads be regulated - certainly. But those regulations should be limited to behaviors which can effect the "safety" of the bystanders.

Not a dig, but the most ridiculous thing I see every day is Joe Helmet Rider wearing a Full-faced helmet, a tank top, shorts and flip flops on the highway. If you don't understand why I find that ridiculous, you haven't visited many downed riders in the hospital.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    They call them squids for a reason. Wear a damn helmet

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Why, will me wearing a helmet somehow protect you?

It's a personal choice. I e said before that I believe if someone wants to drink a bottle of bleach and chase it with ammonia it their choice.

If someone wants to ride without a helmet how does it effect you. I see people on crotch rockets putting themselves at much greater risk wearing tons of gear than I do riders without helmets.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I don't even own a motorcycle. I used to ride with my grandpa and love it but he finally had to sell his gold wing at 86.

I would love to have one now but I wouldn't ride it on the interstate. Just cruise the back roads....with a helmet on.

It's all about personal comfort levels and what risks you're willing to accept. ESP when those risks aren't jeopardizing anyone but yourself.

CZ guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Left of Galveston Bay
    Never ridden a motorcycle without a helmet. Ever...... and yes I have a few miles on one. Wish I would have kept track of the hours I rode. Minus the vacation, holidays, flooding conditions, etc I put in 8 hours a day, five days a week for darn near twenty years.

You know, I see this debate sort of like wearing a seat belt, which is frowned on by so many. I've heard the argument too many times that the government should not have the right to make the decision for them...... Well, I think a person SHOULD have the right to ride without a helmet or ride/drive in a car without a safety restraint IF they have a liability insurance policy, cash or surety bond in place, for no less than five million dollars. I base that on the knowledge of what twenty years and counting of what medical care has cost the family of an old friend that suffered brain injury due to a motorcycle wreck. The insurance company paid their limit before he was even out of the ER. The family sued the at fault driver and got a judgement, which is not good for much. Their family money ran out so he is being cared for in a county facility.

Remember....insurance companies do NOT lose money or they go out of business. They just pass their losses on to their customers. Every time you see an unrestrained driver/passenger or bike rider without a helmet, YOUR insurance bill is in danger of going up soon. Yeah, it IS everyone's business what others do.

FrEaK_aCcIdEnT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    With the cooling capability of the newer full face helmets, it like sitting in the shade. I ride wil a full face 100% of the time.in temps upwards of 106. The protection is worth it. Besides my scalp won't bake all day. Not to mention June bugs. Lol.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I didn't think you would have an argument. Please just leave if you cannot resort from personal attacks like you did in my other thread. OK?
    I STAND by what I said and if you consider that a personal attack you have some issues.

Now lets try it again, what is YOUR POINT or is this just a PERSONAL attack on anyone who choses not to wear a helmet, implying we don't pay taxes or carry insurance. I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, but yours is the same thing I have heard for years and years..someone else has to pay my tab if I get hurt. Based upon what data?????????????????

And why would I spend tens of thousands of dollars on a motorcycle and not bother with insurance that only costs a few hundred a year????

CZ guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Left of Galveston Bay
    yours is the same thing I have heard for years and years..someone else has to pay my tab if I get hurt. Based upon what data?????????????????

In Texas, to legally ride without a helmet, a rider must have a medical insurance policy that would cover any injuries as a result of a motorcycle accident. Anyone care to say what the limit is on their policy?
    Many folks think the other driver's liability insurance policy will help with the bill (should there be another vehicle involved that was in the wrong and caused the crash). The minimum liability limits are $30,000 for each injured person, up to a total of $60,000 per accident, and $25,000 for property damage per accident...... (called 30/60/25 coverage). There is an option to purchase higher amounts but few do. Ask any insurance agent when the last time they sold a policy with a million dollars of liability insurance.

How long you suppose that money will last after a short trip in Life Flight, a few tests in the ER and surgery?
    Brain injuries run into the hundreds of thousand of dollars. Who makes up this shortage? Oh yeah......Obama care will........

Last edited:

Soldiernurse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Cedar Park, TX
    No helmet = organ donor
    Actually, when I worked in the ICU @ SAMMC, aka BAMC, a high percentage of patients with permanent Neuro Deficits were directly R/T head trauma D/T motorcycle MVC w/o wearing a helmet.

On a side note, I cringe when motorcyclist are wearing shorts, tank-top, and flip-flops. The human skin is not leather :rolleyes:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    In Texas, the minimum liability limits are $30,000 for each injured person, up to a total of $60,000 per accident, and $25,000 for property damage per accident...... (called 30/60/25 coverage). There is an option to purchase higher amounts but few do. Ask any insurance agent when the last time they sold a policy with a million dollars of liability insurance.

How long you suppose that money will last after a short trip in Life Flight, a few tests in the ER and surgery?
    Brain injuries run into the hundreds of thousand of dollars. Who makes up this shortage? Oh yeah......Obama care will........

Yes, because Obama care has absolutely nothing to do with this conversation. Not relevant.

As to this continued argument about tax payers. Unless the riser has not been paying his taxes there is no reason to say they are doing anything wrong.

These arguments are ridiculous. Find some evidence, a graph, any reputable study that shows riders without helmets making in measurable difference with any taxes.

Seems more like grasping at straws in an attempt to justify a reason to stop others from doing something you don't like even though there is absolutely no evidence it has any effect of you.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Actually, when I worked in the ICU @ SAMMC, aka BAMC, a high percentage of patients with permanent Neuro Deficits were directly R/T head trauma D/T motorcycle MVC w/o wearing a helmet.

On a side note, I cringe when motorcyclist are wearing shorts, tank-top, and flip-flops. The human skin is not leather :rolleyes:

I got the ICU part, gonna need some help with the rest, lol.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    In Texas, to legally ride without a helmet, a rider must have a medical insurance policy that would cover any injuries as a result of a motorcycle accident. Anyone care to say what the limit is on their policy?
    Many folks think the other driver's liability insurance policy will help with the bill (should there be another vehicle involved that was in the wrong and caused the crash). The minimum liability limits are $30,000 for each injured person, up to a total of $60,000 per accident, and $25,000 for property damage per accident...... (called 30/60/25 coverage). There is an option to purchase higher amounts but few do. Ask any insurance agent when the last time they sold a policy with a million dollars of liability insurance.

Brain injuries run into the hundreds of thousand of dollars. Who makes up this shortage? Oh yeah......Obama care will..

I will ASSUME you are talking about YOUR ins plan, you must be depending upon Obammy, you must be on Medicaid now.

On and my coverage, to start with none of your friggin business, but its in the 7 figures, I carry high limits, always have because too many losers out there CZ...My company is USAA!

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    And another thing, if you wear a white helmet you are probably just as racist as George Zimmerman. That's why I wear a yellow helmet, because I like Chinese food.......actually Vietnamese food, but y'all probably just like that danged Tex_Mex stuff.

Top Bottom