• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    back to the original topic. It has been suggested that the OP file with his insurance company. I don't believe Liability will cover that, but maybe he should call his insurance Co and see if there is a clause that will cover the damage.

right - your mandated liability policy is to cover damages that YOU cause to others (bent fender, sore neck)

your comp/collision policy - assuming you have one - covers this kind of damage

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    right - your mandated liability policy is to cover damages that YOU cause to others (bent fender, sore neck)

your comp/collision policy - assuming you have one - covers this kind of damage
    I figured. I've had full coverage or custom policies on my cars/bikes forever.
    By custom, I mean I go in and sit down with my agent and tell him I am buying a 20+year old motorcycle and need to know how to cover every eventuality. He draws up a policy and I sign it. Dunno what he does or what coverage I have, but it works for me.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Admittedly, this will be a hard one to steer back to topic after such a polarizing admission by a once trusted member of this forum.

JADB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    DFW
    I'm possibly about to become real unpopular here, but have we considered that this may be the one screw up from an otherwise good individual?
    I live as honest as I possibly can, and I know I'm not perfect. So I don't expect perfection from anyone else.

I wanna know more about this before I hang him out to dry.

Just throwing this out there, since prior to this one thread, most on here would have stated that robin303 was an upstanding person and valuable member of this forum.

I agree with this.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I've always had Uninsured Motorist on my Liability coverage. The insurance company may pay you under that portion and proceed with getting thier money from the friend themselves since he wasn't given your premission to drive.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I've always had Uninsured Motorist on my Liability coverage. The insurance company may pay you under that portion and proceed with getting thier money from the friend themselves since he wasn't given your premission to drive.

Won't work, Cody. He's not required to have insurance to drive it. Had he hit someone else, the insurance would've had to cover damages to the other vehicle. As noted earlier, Texas policies cover the vehicle, NOT the driver.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Paper trail such as the wrecker driver. My girlfriend bought a brand new car. She had a couple of drinks and backed into something. I told her to tell the insurance company it was a hit and run in the HEB parking lot.
    Sorry but that is theft by fraud... pure and simple.

OP.
    YOU made a bad decision by letting your brother drive your car.
    HE made an even worse decision by letting his "friend" drive.

Thankfully your brother is a stand up guy wanting to make the situation better. Hope it all works out and your brother realizes that his "friend" was not one.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub

great policy to have but i dont think it covers this accident - as i remember this is when you get hit by another driver that is not insured - not sure it would cover damage that would be covered under a "collision" policy

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Uninsured Motorist insurance covers your vehicle if it is hit by another driver who is uninsured (and it is deemed their fault). It pays nothing toward repairing your vehicle if you or someone else hits something with it.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    Uninsured Motorist insurance covers your vehicle if it is hit by another driver who is uninsured. It pays nothing toward repairing your vehicle - ever.

I think you contradicted yourself so I am not sure what you meant?

I think Uninsured motorist covers you and pays for your car if a driver hits you AND IS AT FAULT and they have no insurance?

In any case, it does NOT cover an uninsured driver in your car. The "friend" is probably covered by your insurance, unless there is an exclusion on your policy. But since in this case there was only liability coverage anyway it is a moot point. The Ins company will not be fixing the car.

Can be weird sometimes tho. I hit a deer once. My deductible for collision was $500. The agent on the phone said to leave the fur/blood so the adjuster could see it and since it was a non-domesticated animal it would be a comprehensive claim not collision which I had only a $100 deductible.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I think you contradicted yourself so I am not sure what you meant?

HA! I just re-read that. Pretty obscure for sure. I need some coffee. I meant to say that particular coverage will not fix your car if you or someone else hits something in it. Collision coverage would be needed.

EDIT: I went back and fixed it

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Yeah, I've had UM cover a hit and run on a car I had and a motorcycle accident where I slipped on a big diesel patch, thought maybe a snarly agent could figure a way to make it pay. Oh well.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I had a hit and run. Driver backed into my car as I shot at the gun range and drove off. Tons of witnesses no one got the plates as the RO didn't want to leave the line.

It would have been $200 or so less on the deducible if I had claimed it as my fault. There was some pressure from the agent to work it that way even it seemed. Looking back it seems a good way of keeping folks from calming uninsured when it's not.

JADB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    DFW
    As noted earlier, Texas policies cover the vehicle, NOT the driver.

So if i have full coverage on my Tahoe and i choose to drive my sisters truck,that has no insurance (just using as example), your saying that my Ins. would not cover my accident if i was at fault? I think that might be incorrect.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    So if i have full coverage on my Tahoe and i choose to drive my sisters truck,that has no insurance (just using as example), your saying that my Ins. would not cover my accident if i was at fault? I think that might be incorrect.

no, her insurance would cover you driving her car - because she gave you permission to operate her car - thereby "adding you to her policy"

JADB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    DFW
    no, her insurance would cover you driving her car - because she gave you permission to operate her car - thereby "adding you to her policy"

I know that. I'm saying if HER vehicle didn't have insurance.

I disagree that my insurance wouldn't pick up the tab.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    I know that. I'm saying if HER vehicle didn't have insurance.

I disagree that my insurance wouldn't pick up the tab.

your texas auto policy covers you driving any vehicle that is a replacement for your vehicle (typically this means a rental or loaner while your car is in for repairs)

i dont think your insurance extends to her car if you're driving it in the same way it would a rental

Top Bottom