Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Lee classic cast is a winner.

The Challenger breech lock looks good as well but I have no experience with the Bushing system.

Any of the O style single stage should work well though from Hornady, Lee, or RCBS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gun Zone Deals

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I am a big fan of Lee products. Sometimes the fit and finish could be better but they are a good value and good tools.

I really like the new single stage press Hornady is coming out with but it is spendy.

I like Hornady's LnL system but it needs an anti turn pin like Lee's system. I have had a die pop out of my Hornady progressive press because it turned loose.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I have a breech lock with the quick change bushings. Works like a champ. If you are going to load several bullet weights for the same caliber, get a seating die and bushing for each weight and set the depth. Push the button, a 1/4 turn and pop in another die already set to the correct depth. Really like mine.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    Lee classic cast is a winner.

The Challenger breech lock looks good as well but I have no experience with the Bushing system.

Any of the O style single stage should work well though from Hornady, Lee, or RCBS.

I looked at two lee options what do you think about this kit http://leeprecision.com/bl-classic-cast-kit.html or

Younggun are you talking about this press. I like what I have read about it. Its the O style people have mentioned http://leeprecision.com/classic-cast-press.html

Last edited:

Wyldman

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    The "weaker" press is suitable for handgun cartridges and can do rifle cartridges too, but has less mechanical advantage so it's a tougher job.

The "O" press in your link is a very good option to do both. The real tell is the length of the arm on the ram, giving better leverage, making the stroke a bit easier.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Once you decide on the press and accessories, it's about dies.
    For the .308 look at Lee collet dies.
    Neck sizing with no lube is really nice, and the "dead length" seating dies are the best out there in my opinion.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    A single stage kinda sucks for loading pistol rounds. Not quality wise, but slow as hell.

You might consider a Lee Classic Turret. Some don't like them for loading precision rounds but I haven't seen a noticeable difference in ammo loaded on the turret vs single stage.

I don't run my turrets with auto indexing, but not having to swap dies in the process saves a lot of time.

Team it up with the Lee Perfect Powder Measure and you can batch load pistol rounds at a fair rate.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Looks like a decent starter kit. Can't see all the details.

Don't use the case lube, much better products out there. Stuck cases suck.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Factor in The cost of more bushings, case cleaner of choice, and a few other things I'm forgetting.

Lots of stuff you can get by without for a while. I loaded for years putting powder on the scale with measuring spoons. Still use a small one instead of a trickler sometimes.

LFHenderson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Are you shoot a 308 bolt gun or a AR style gun? Neck sizing only is fine for a bolt gun but a set of small base dies are better for AR style guns.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I just use a standard full length sizing die and back it out a bit so it doesn't bump the shoulder.

Neck sizing keeps your brass custom fitted to you chamber but isn't recommended for hunting/field environments. The tight fit could cause an issue if there is any dirt in the chamber or on the case. Brass lasts longer because it doesn't get work hardened as quickly.

Small base helps insure reliable feeding in semi auto rifles.the trade off is that it works the brass more and you may lose some accuracy if you are trying to load precision rounds. Some use them and some don't bother.

Standard full length sizing die pushes the shoulder back and resizes the case wall. Good for reliable feeding under most conditions. You may need to full length size brass from time to time that has only been neck sized if it starts to feel tight when clambering.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Savage bolt action rifles have tight enough chambers that a neck sizing die is a waste of time.

Plan on full length sizing and be done with it.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    You guys are awesome, It seems a lot of you guys like lee's products so I am going to look further into them and see what one I think might fit the bill and post on here the model and get your thoughts.

In industry, I was the guy they sent for when something was stuck and wouldn't come loose. I've twisted off extensions, broken tons of sockets and breaker bars. I'm old now, but when I apply torque, it will either move or break. With that history, I look for strength when shopping for tools and equipment.

Richard Lee is a master of reloading and his equipment has all the markings of genius and well thought out designs. Lee dies are cost effective and his manual has no equal. Lyman 49 is the conservative reloading Bible. Lee is the "hotrodder" bible. No manual delves as deeply into maximum performance based upon real hands on research.

Now.....the down side. Lee presses rely on lightweight castings. Their lightweight components are properly gusseted and braced so they are still very strong, except for guys like me. I will destroy them! In a stuck case situation, something is going to break! Usually, pulling off the rim on a case is the result but the press encounters lots of force.

Dillon, RCBS and others mentioned in this thread rely on massive castings, solid steel operating parts and super strong designs. Their presses are overly strong and massively designed. Overkill is an appropriate word and yes, you pay extra for that!

Here's an example of Lee press equipment. Zoom in and see the reliance upon gussets and braces in the frame and handle. It's well thought out and well engineered .......... but not for me.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/618843/lee-load-master-progressive-press-kit-223-remington

Now, compare the massive design of the RCBS Rock Chucker to the Lee press. It is iron and steel, the handle is a solid steel rod and overall construction is big, strong and more expensive. I have two Rock Chuckers that are over 30 years old. The term "brick sxit house" applies here.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/513567/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-single-stage-press

Similarly, check out the Dillon RL550 basic, no frills press. Note the massive construction. Dillon does make the Square Deal press for pistol rounds. It is constructed of aluminum castings like the Lee presses but it's only for pistol rounds.

The bigger Dillon presses are massive aluminum castings. Not much need for braces or gussets for strength. Other parts are steel.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/bl-550-basic-loader_8_1_25792.html

That's my 2 cents.

Flash

Last edited:
    Top Bottom