• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I won't argue that there may be better rifles off the rack, but I'm not sure that abandoning the idea of upgrading a rifle you already own to buy another to upgrade the performance of a round is better.
    I know, but for what it would cost to upgrade a 10/22 to precision performance, it might be less expensive to start with a new rifle. The CZ American can be purchased for around $410 and all you would need to add is the glass. But then you would miss all the fun of rebuilding your 10/22, which could be satisfying in itself. Or frustrating. :)
    Gun Zone Deals

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Yea, a lot to consider.

My vote is for a new CZ. My kid has a 455, we shoot it at 100yds and its easily 1moa@100 with any crap ammo. He can go a .5moa on a good day with good ammo. (albeit Leupold glass)

Fantastic rifle, especially for the money. (How much was that Volquartsen again?)
    Well certainly buying a Volquartsen 10/22 rifle off the rack is expensive, but then it was built with everything towards precision, even the stock.

My 10/22 does not have all Volquartsen parts and therefore did not cost as much as one built by Volquartsen. I researched what I wanted and bought some parts, like the Kidd bolt, that I felt would get mine to that level of precision I was looking for. The Volquartsen parts I did buy weren't outlandishly expensive, for example, the Volquartsen barrel/forend combo for my takedown cost me less than $350. Yes, I will agree that it cost about as much as the original rifle cost, but quality costs and I understand that.

I'm not advocating that everyone should upgrade their 10/22 to what mine is, just that there is a level of satisfaction of building a precision rifle to fit yourself.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Were it me, which it is not, I would buy a new 22 bolt action (CZ or Savage) for precision with the money I was going to spend on upgrades, and keep the semi auto 10/22 for plinking fun.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Unless your into competition, why upgrade a 10/22? Or any 22?

The end game for me on this path is to learn some new skills, Improve on others, and experience a different part of the sport.

The same skills it takes to put precisely put a .22 where I want it to go, at any range, are directly transferable to hunting and competition.

I can do that cheaper and easier and more often with a 22 than with a 6.5CM, which is a hell of an investment to make just to practice reading the environmental conditions, aiming small/missing small, and being able to reliably repeat those things.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Toddnjoyce, since you are talking precision shooting, you should really take a look at the CZ 457 American or one of the other CZ 457 models. I don't own one but the guys at rim fire central have high praise for CZs, and they are not that expensive. That would be my bolt action choice.

I would agree with that or a Savage Mark II.

The set trigger on my CZ527 is possibly the best trigger I've ever pulled. CZ makes an excellent trigger!

The CZ American...

My vote is for a new CZ...

I’m intrigued by the 457 in the Boyd’s AT-ONE stock with adj. LOP and comb.

I looked at a Ruger Precision Rimfire at Basspro last night. There’s a lot to like, and it can be had for $399.

This morning, I checked out some Nikon, Vortex, and Leupold glass.

The poll closes on 1/25; whatever y’all pick, I’m doing.

019e7f3585003f5557adb70221f52c81.jpg

Attachments

• 019e7f3585003f5557adb70221f52c81.jpg
      019e7f3585003f5557adb70221f52c81.jpg
      33.1 KB · Views: 205

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I voted the barrel. After switching the barrel (carbon fiber is very light) I noticed a lot of improvement in accuracy performance. Changing the bolt helped the FTF/FTE issues, especially in the BX-25's. Glass was a given for me in reaching out further than 25 yards.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    After watching this video my $$ would be on a CZ

Again, if you're looking for something straight off the rack at a cheaper cost, I don't doubt your choice. But this is a thread for upgrading an existing rifle. I can argue that a better choice would be to spend thousands of dollars for a truly precision rifle, but then that would depend on what you want in a rifle.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    The OP put option #3 in, not us.
    You are right, I forgot about that.

One thing also to consider when buying a rifle is if you want to be able to upgrade is what can I do? Of course there are several things that one can do with most any rifle, but with a 10/22 it almost seems the possibilities are endless.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Only 10 votes & 3 pages of post...slackers

I voted before posting.

Again, if you're looking for something straight off the rack at a cheaper cost, I don't doubt your choice. But this is a thread for upgrading an existing rifle. I can argue that a better choice would be to spend thousands of dollars for a truly precision rifle, but then that would depend on what you want in a rifle.

My Magnum Research cost me $725 including the Nikon Rimfire scope and rings. The only thing I added after was the recoil buffer.

Last edited:

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Maybe you want to keep the 10/22 you have like it is, pass it on to younger ones to shoot.
    Keep the tradition going.
    This sets you up to start with something better.
    Just my thinking....
    I'm certainly not twisting anyone's arm. Maybe you want to have many styles and manufacturers, I certainly wouldn't mind, but then I only have so much money.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    anibal79
    Top Bottom