• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Carolinaboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    South Carolina
    Let me first off say that I am not in any hurry buying one of these. I just got laid off so money is going else where while I finish up College (one more semester).

So I want to eventually get a flattop AR set up for fun shooting but then can throw a scope on it and whack some coyotes with it too. I am looking at doing a OD Green/Black Theme. My Dad has a bushmaster lower with a jewel trigger and a full stock on it. (He used to shoot High Power)

My Dad said I could use the lower so there is half the cost gone. I also have a buddy that wants to get rid of all his OD Green Accessories said he'd sell me the stuff for 1/2 what he paid. He wants to go all black. He has a magpul stock and grip.

So I have seen a few posts about the BCM Uppers. I am liking this 16" one with 12" Handguard
    BCM-URG-MID-16%20DDL12-3.jpg

So what else do I need. I also have some flip up sights I can throw on there.

What else do y'all recommend. I am not set on the BCM but would like to keep the cost down but not sacrifice quality. What would y'all do for just the upper I wanna keep it around $600 or so. I am pretty new to the AR thing. I'm a 1911 & Shotgun kind of guy.

Thanks In Advance
    DK Firearms

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    If the BCM is within your budget, you have made a most excellent choice and there is really no reason to look any farther.

Carolinaboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    South Carolina
    That's just one I've seen Alan suggest on other forums. I trust his judgement so I just went off of that. Would going down to a 14.5" barrel really effect my accuracy a lot at ~200yards or so. For those long shots at yotes' ?

For that upper what else do I need? I saw they said a extra $135 for charging handle & something else.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Barrel length doesn't effect accuracy, it effects velocity. So, at 200yds you'll have a little more drop with a 14.5, but no loss in accuracy all things being equal. I'd stick with the 16 mainly because if you ever want to change flash hiders, it's an easy affair....unless you go NFA, the 14.5 will have it's muzzle device pinned and welded. And I think for your intended uses, you're not going to be bothered by the longer barrel.

As for the upper, a "complete" upper includes the charging handle and bolt carrier group (BCG). Complete = ready to slap on a lower and shoot

The_Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas
    That's just one I've seen Alan suggest on other forums. I trust his judgement so I just went off of that. Would going down to a 14.5" barrel really effect my accuracy a lot at ~200yards or so. For those long shots at yotes' ?

For that upper what else do I need? I saw they said a extra $135 for charging handle & something else.

The BCG was that other part and yes you need to spend that. The gun will not function with out a bolt carrier group

Carolinaboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    South Carolina
    Here's the link for it

LINK

BCM-URG-MID-16%20YHM12-2.jpg

See where it says "OPTION 1" it says Upper Group only. What does that include? That's what I was confused on.

TXSUT, I think you make a good point about 16" vs. 14.5" I rather have that extra velocity than 1.5" smaller barrel. I want to put a different flash hider on it most likely.

blackwater

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    odessa
    Here's the link for it

LINK

View attachment 6673

See where it says "OPTION 1" it says Upper Group only. What does that include? That's what I was confused on.

TXSUT, I think you make a good point about 16" vs. 14.5" I rather have that extra velocity than 1.5" smaller barrel. I want to put a different flash hider on it most likely.

I checked out the link and it doesnt come with a BCG like dobarker said Auto BCG from BC

Sid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Austin
    BCM is a great choice as is the Mid Length gas system in your link.

I'm biased toward a Daniel Defense lite rail over the YHM, though. And, as others have said, definitely add on the BCG and Charging Handle.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Here's the link for it

LINK

View attachment 6673

Just remmeber that if you get a 14.5" barrel, you need to select the option that welds the flash hider on (essentially making a 16" barrel). You can't replace it once it is on the rifle. IIRC, they charge like 40 or 50 to do it. The BCG (bolt carrier group) is just what it sounds like. The bolt and charging handle. You need it.

I may have a BCM upper myself. : )

I have a BCM middy 16". LOVE IT. IMG_0656.jpg
    View attachment 6697
    I put a magpul handguards on it. I put a YMH riser and a redfield 2-7 on it. Great shooter. Someday, I'll put a red dot on it. Killed a couple deer with it this past year.
    The 1/7 twist rate lets you shoot some very long bullets, but is kind of overkill for everyday plinking rounds.
    pencil.png

Top Bottom