• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ny700

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2014
    Now let start this by saying I'm asking a very real question. My intent here is not to in any way what so ever put down degrade offend or beliddle any participant of this forum or the world for that matter.
    I am honestly trying to understand a mindset that just seems so foreign to me and that I just for the life of me can't fully comprehend. I do hope that people who choose to partake in this discussion read this post first otherwise if all they do is reply based of the replies below this will certainly derail (very much like most things in the real world based off the media).
    So some back ground to try to set where my thought are coming from. I was raised in a fairly populated suburban area that would be considered fairly diverse. As such I was exposed to from a young age most established religions and I had friends growing up, close friends, who were members a a wide variety of churches temples mosques and so on.
    I grew up in a time where it was perfectly except able to have a nativity out in front of a school a business a church or even yes even a government building with out protest. In grade school we "celebrated" the Christian holidays we discussed and acknowledged the Jewish holidays. In later years kwanza made it's first appearance and even the cafeteria was opened special hours to accommodate Muslim students during Ramadan.
    I grew up in a house with two parents of different religious backing. Neither was uber religious but they followed the basics of their respective religion I would say like most religious American actually do and they took me to both houses of worship and discussed the principals of their respective religion.
    My school district discussed religion a lot. It was discussed in literature classes. Creative writing classes economic classes and of course history class. And it was in history classes that we really laid out the religions when they broke off from one another we discussed in depth the tenants that were disputed by one faction or the other the influence kings had in the formation of religion and the enflurane powerful bishops and priests had on certain kingdoms.
    So I would say I've been exposed to religion. I understand it's beginnings and I see wherever is today. I also understand that the vast majority of religion is based on faith. Ultimately the object of ones faith in something could never be proven until they are gone. A statement of a dear friend summarized went like this " I'm hedging my bets cause if it's real and I did nothing I'm screwed and if it's nothing than all I did was waste some time".
    I've had people say religion guides them morally. So I have to beg the question what moral decision do you feel you would have gotten wrong had it not been for religion. The big one maybe the easiest is to not kill. If religion did not exist would a person feel it's ok to kill? There was a time in human history before religion and people didn't just kill people anymore so than they do today.
    Knowing what we know about history. Knowing what we know about people. When you take those in the world cut out the BS and just look at people there are simply families trying to survive what ever challenges they have in front of them the same as you or eye regardless of their religious doctrine. I guess I question even the "need" of faith. People say it's a leap of faith. Why are you leaping when everything is right around you. My happiness my sadness my excitement an my pain is right here with me and with all the people I call family and friend. What is faith giving me beyond the trust I share with those I hold close.
    To finish out cause I cod go on for days. I do actually believe in God. Let's call it not a religious god. I don't give it a name I don't give it a sex. So why does someone who doesn't believe in religion believe in god and I tell people because I'm not a completely foolish person. Science can explain a lot. But one thing science will never beable to explain is something from absolutely nothing. Regardless what your theory is on the creation of the universe be it a twilight zone vision or Big Bang. Once upon a time an atom of something came from pure nothingness and science will never explain that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I don't want to start off negative but some paragraphs and breaks would help, and you would probably get more responses. You may consider revising your post for readability.

Ny700

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2014
    I also have often asked what if you simply removed religion from your religious meetings. What if you took say Christianity out of your Sunday church. What if now what you had was a group of local people getting together face to face to discuss what was going on in their community. What was happening in their schools and places of works. A few hours to check in and see how everyone was doing and some time to go help someone who wasn't doing good or to better something in their town and then a time to eat and have fun.
    All this without the discussion of religion. What if this happened all the time in ever town around. Now I know their are groups who do good things and work hard. Over the years and I'm excluding special events and just looking at the every day perspective most houses of worship basically involved people arriving. Chit chatting then Sitting for an hour or two listening. Then chit chatting sharing a little bit of food usually not a full meal or often times nothing at all then leaving and going out to eat or going home to simply be repeated a week later. It was very much like standing in line to punch a clock.
    I guess I just don't get the need. I had someone once say they came for the music. I said yea the music was well done but you didn't need religion for the music to be there. I've had others say they go for the sense of community and I said yea being around a group of people talking and discussing things is nice but again religion wasn't a part of that and I spent 3 hours with this person and she talked to what seemed to be two hundred people and not one conversation was faith or religion based except for the venue the chat was occurring.

Last edited:

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    We're all religious in our own way. We all believe what we believe and to what extent. There's no right or wrong, IMO. It's something that YOU have to figure out for YOU. Being religious, and believing are two different things, IMO. To me, being religious is devoting yourself to making it known that you believe in what you believe. It doesn't have to be extravagant, but even just the simplistic "going to church" every Sunday, or even those that just go on the main holidays (Easter, Christmas, etc). Believing, on the other hand, doesn't take letting anyone else know. It's between you and whomever you believe in. You don't even have to take time out of your day to "believe". It's just a simple knowing something is "there" and you try to live your life in a "good" way. IMO, a good way, for me, is trying to follow the "10 Commandments", but not necessarily in a strict sense. "Thou shalt not kill" ... well, in general, yes, but if you're going to hurt me, my family or friends, etc, then I am willing to kill you if necessary. Hopefully that situation never comes, and I'll try to avoid it if at all possible, but if push comes to shove, I'm willing to kill in order to protect me and mine. All in all, you have to decide what is right for you, and as long as you don't force someone else to believe in what you do (kind of the libertarian leave me alone, and I'll leave you alone), then all is good. Don't let someone tell you what is right/wrong. It's ultimately YOUR decision.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Your post answers your own question as well as any other will. That being said, it is choosing faith that drives any religion. People have different reasons for doing it.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I dont take any offense at all in your post. I understand the question and its valid. You are looking at it from the lens of only this world and this life. No one needs religion to have a happy life in this world and live a good life. This life is transitory and short though. I think one has to ask themselves a few questions. What about your soul after this life? Do you feel like "who you are" is purely biological?

This forum is probably not the best place for this kind of advice. Based on what you posted I'd say you've had some "exposure" but that you're really not informed. When we approach any topic, if we're really looking for answers, we have to study it. If you really want answers why not join a local bible study group?

Ny700

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2014
    Rsaylorii. Thank you for your post and I do think you are correct in the separation of a believer vs a religious person. One being the need to fullfill a need to make it known. But the again some believe public worship to be a basic tenant of their religion so if they are a believer there is an effective need to be religious based on your definition. So based on your definition which understand I like what are folks need to be religious. Why? And then again you believe in a religion what do you need the religion for. You mention the 10 commandments. That is often something people tell me. Had it not been for your belief in your religion is there one of the commandments you think you would not have known it would be bad to break.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Oh the questions that have plagued mankind since the beginning of time.

First of all, let me make perfectly clear ... I am a saved, born-again recovering southern baptist.
    I could go into detail as to why I think the SBC has lost its bearings and in some ways its collective minds, but that's for another thread.

I also understand that the vast majority of religion is based on faith

Hebrews says something like "faith are things hoped for, the evidence of and not seen".
    So faith is not praying or wishing for for something, rather knowing that your needs will be taken care of.

Ultimately the object of ones faith in something could never be proven until they are gone.

Contradictory statement ... faith is intangible. If one expects or needs proof, it's no longer faith.

So I have to beg the question what moral decision do you feel you would have gotten wrong had it not been for religion

Good question. Being Godless doesn't mean you are immoral and being immoral doesn't mean you are Godless.
    Religion encourages morality ... not invent it.

If you are a God fearing man and find yourself on the wrong side of the moral fence, religion gives you the compass and encouragement to return to the right side.
    Given our own compass, many just shrug it off.

However, I can't live by your moral compass and I can't expect you to live by mine.

My happiness my sadness my excitement an my pain is right here with me and with all the people I call family and friend.
    What is faith giving me beyond the trust I share with those I hold close.

Without faith, how do you know your family and fiends really give a crap?
    How did you find your family?
    Did you just stumble across your best friend?
    What "power" led you and your bestie to cross paths at the instant you two connected?
    Think about the things and influences that could have altered that path in the 8 hours that preceded your paths crossing.

Stuff in our life happens for a purpose.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Rsaylorii. Thank you for your post and I do think you are correct in the separation of a believer vs a religious person. One being the need to fullfill a need to make it known. But the again some believe public worship to be a basic tenant of their religion so if they are a believer there is an effective need to be religious based on your definition. So based on your definition which understand I like what are folks need to be religious. Why? And then again you believe in a religion what do you need the religion for. You mention the 10 commandments. That is often something people tell me. Had it not been for your belief in your religion is there one of the commandments you think you would not have known it would be bad to break.

I believe that the Bible, et al, are lessons more than "factual". So one doesn't need to believe or be religious in order to learn from it.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    We're all religious in our own way. We all believe what we believe and to what extent. There's no right or wrong, IMO. It's something that YOU have to figure out for YOU. Being religious, and believing are two different things, IMO. To me, being religious is devoting yourself to making it known that you believe in what you believe. It doesn't have to be extravagant, but even just the simplistic "going to church" every Sunday, or even those that just go on the main holidays (Easter, Christmas, etc). Believing, on the other hand, doesn't take letting anyone else know. It's between you and whomever you believe in. You don't even have to take time out of your day to "believe". It's just a simple knowing something is "there" and you try to live your life in a "good" way. IMO, a good way, for me, is trying to follow the "10 Commandments", but not necessarily in a strict sense. "Thou shalt not kill" ... well, in general, yes, but if you're going to hurt me, my family or friends, etc, then I am willing to kill you if necessary. Hopefully that situation never comes, and I'll try to avoid it if at all possible, but if push comes to shove, I'm willing to kill in order to protect me and mine. All in all, you have to decide what is right for you, and as long as you don't force someone else to believe in what you do (kind of the libertarian leave me alone, and I'll leave you alone), then all is good. Don't let someone tell you what is right/wrong. It's ultimately YOUR decision.

I think your definition of "religious" completely wrong. I wish I had more time to respond today to educate and inform on this thread. Religion is not relative at all.

I'll chime in later today or tomorrow.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I think your definition of "religious" completely wrong. I wish I had more time to respond today to educate and inform on this thread. Religion is not relative at all.

I'll chime in later today or tomorrow.

That's why I said we're all religious in our own way. There is no right or wrong, IMO. We all believe in our own way and have to find out what works for yourself, not what someone tells you is the right way.

Ny700

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2014
    MH thank you for your post and actually I have spent hundreds of hours sitting in religious groups discussing their beliefs. And it is from that that I was really compelled to ask the question of why religion. When one looks at the similarities and the differences and the fact that be yound a persons need to align them selves publicly with their religion how little if their life and day to day is really changed or influenced by their faith. I do believe in a soul. The body is an electrical being and we can make muscles move and measure brain activity and yet we can't make one go with just electricity. There is something there beyond just pure science and I believe that to be a soul. But I personally don't believe in a traditional simplified heaven or hell version of an afterlife. I believe that really to be more of a figurative view of the process of during more so than the actual after life.

Ny700

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2014
    What a good discussion so far. Only bad part is I'm not near a real keyboard and on an iPhone this is getting tough. And at 830 on a Saturday morning awesome discussion so far thank you

Ironhorseromo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2014
    Fist of all I'm spiritual not religious. I don't believe in religion. To me religion is just a man made word to divert you from the truth. My wife started going to church by herself and she would comeback so energetic. She had a joy or glow I couldn't get. So finally I started going to see what all the fuss was about. I found myself after a few times going really paying close attention to what the preacher was saying. The music was very powerful. There was an unmistakable presents there that kind of scared me to be honest. I started to really get into into the church. The more I went the more I would feel this presents. Unlike nothing I've ever felt before. I eventually let my guard down and started to realize there is a holy presence in that place. The bible says " seek my and I'll seek you" knock and you shall receive ". If you want to know who God is, go to church ( I prefer a nondenominational ). Go to bible study. Jesus is the way, the truth & the life. Now that's what I live for. When you discover the truth for yourself ( without science ) you'll never be the same person again. That's been my experience. Don't get confused with religion if you really want to know. My .02.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Ny700 ...

I encourage you to focus on a single point and get some closure on that.
    Then build ...

Faith, creationism, heaven and hell .... all valid questions.
    But it's like drinking from a firehose.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    It would take too long to respond to all your questions or correct where you have been mis-informed in one post so I recommend you study the origins of the Bible, especially the various translations from the original Hebrew.

You mention the Sixth Commandment "Thou shall not Kill" as a moral guide and wonder if people would be less inhibited to "kill" sans religion but what most people don't know is that the original Hebrew text of the Decalogue was "Thou shalt not Murder". There are multiple examples of killing that went unpunished in the Bible e.g. David slew Goliath just as there are examples of murderers that WERE punished such as Cain when he slew Abel. We need to differentiate "killing" from "murdering" when we discuss the Bible.

Speaking personally, it didn't take much of a leap of faith for me to believe in God...he has shown himself to me many, many times in my life and has actively protected me from many dangerous situations. I once was T-boned in an intersection by an 18 year old girl late for a Hallowe'en party who was doing twice the legal speed limit in an 1988 Chrysler LeBaron. She hit the driver's side door of my vehicle causing it to simultaneously buckle inwards as the floorboards were pushed up to hit the dash. My vehicle then rolled over and came to rest against another vehicle. I had no side curtain airbags and took the full force of the collision with my head, shoulder, and hip.
    All I remember was an overwhelming sense of peace as I felt two giant hands cup my body to protect it from the force of the crash. When I was able to extricate myself I walked over to a lawn and had a peaceful nap while mayhem ensued all around me as emergency vehicles arrived. I was taken by ambulance to to the local hospital where the trauma team had been forewarned of a "driver with serious injuries". The doctor examined me, found no injuries and asked me "Where's the driver?" I told him I was. He told me I must have been the passenger to have come out of the crash unscathed and continued to ask all around him, "Where's the driver!?!". He was incredulous when he realized that indeed, I was the driver. I was released soon after with no injuries. Many Christians believe in Guardian Angels whom God sends to watch over us....mine is a very powerful one.

Last edited:

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    MH thank you for your post and actually I have spent hundreds of hours sitting in religious groups discussing their beliefs. And it is from that that I was really compelled to ask the question of why religion. When one looks at the similarities and the differences and the fact that be yound a persons need to align them selves publicly with their religion how little if their life and day to day is really changed or influenced by their faith. I do believe in a soul. The body is an electrical being and we can make muscles move and measure brain activity and yet we can't make one go with just electricity. There is something there beyond just pure science and I believe that to be a soul. But I personally don't believe in a traditional simplified heaven or hell version of an afterlife. I believe that really to be more of a figurative view of the process of during more so than the actual after life.

Do you understand the difference between "spiritual" and "religious"? Many people who aren't Christian or adherents to another faith but don't want to admit being agnostic or even atheist call themselves spiritual which is a nonsensical New Age term for followers of Oprah Winfrey.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom