• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PMG2010

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    TX
    I am trying to put together a first hog hunt. I'm an avid shooter, but this will be my fist hunting trip of any kind. I want to take my son and a 2-3 friends (one of which has hunted hogs before). Will be taking a combo of AR, .308, and AK in the golf bag, plus some NV.

I'm in North Texas and need to find some land where we can hunt hogs for Free or real cheap.

Also - Just checking, but one does NOT need a license to hunt hogs, correct?

Thanks.

Here piggy piggy...

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I am trying to put together a first hog hunt. I'm an avid shooter, but this will be my fist hunting trip of any kind. I want to take my son and a 2-3 friends (one of which has hunted hogs before). Will be taking a combo of AR, .308, and AK in the golf bag, plus some NV.

I'm in North Texas and need to find some land where we can hunt hogs for Free or real cheap.

Thanks.

Here piggy piggy...

Generally free or cheap is uncommon. Usually you own the land, you know someone who owns land, or you gotta pay to play.

Good luck though. Hope ya'll have a good hunt.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish

Thanks.

Here piggy piggy...

Technically, no.

But it might be a hard sale to a game warden that you weren't hunting deer.
    I was told $25 is cheap peace of mind.

zenarchery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2014
    Ask friends you work with. You might be surprised who might own a plot of land somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    hunt hogs for Free or real cheap.

#1 ain't happening unless you know somebody with huntable land. Good luck in your quest.

#2 is FALSE. You need a license to hunt.
    There are no STATE restrictions on hogs(closed season, bag limits, allowable means of taking them, etc).
    They are considered vermin and can be hunted day or night by any legal means. Only exception I can recall is you can't go full auto on them.
    Each individual property may have separate rules/regs in regards to this.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    [h=2]Firearms[/h] Game animals and game birds may be hunted with any legal firearm, except:

• white-tailed deer, mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, and pronghorn antelope may not be hunted with rimfire ammunition of any caliber.
    • shotguns are the only legal firearm that may be used to hunt Eastern turkey during the spring Eastern turkey season (seeCounty Listing). Rifles and handguns may not be used to hunt Eastern turkey.
    • pellet guns and other air guns are not legal for the take of any game bird or game animal other than squirrel. To be lawful for the take of squirrel, an air rifle must be designed to be fired from the shoulder and use the force of a spring, air, or other non-ignited compressed gas to expel a projectile of at least .177 caliber (4.5mm) at a minimum muzzle velocity of 600 feet per second.
    • fully automatic firearms are not legal.
    • a shotgun is the only legal firearm for hunting migratory game birds (see Definitions - Legal Shotgun).
    • Silencers may be used to take any wildlife resource; however, all federal, state and local laws continue to apply.
    Nongame Animals (Non-Protected) may be hunted with any lawful firearm, pellet gun, or other air gun.

You may be correct.
    GW told me some time back full-auto was a no go.

PMG2010

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    TX
    I know a person or two that own plot sunder 30 acres out of city, but too close to other homes and not really huntable. I need more friends!

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    #2 is FALSE. You need a license to hunt.
    There are no STATE restrictions on hogs(closed season, bag limits, allowable means of taking them, etc).
    They are considered vermin and can be hunted day or night by any legal means. Only exception I can recall is you can't go full auto on them.
    Each individual property may have separate rules/regs in regards to this.

I thought the same thing till I went to the TPWD website and read this ...

Hunting Licenses, Stamps & Permits ? Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

A hunting license is required of any person, regardless of age, who hunts any animal, bird, frog or turtle in this state (except furbearers, if the hunter possesses a trapper's license). No license is required for nuisance fur-bearing animals, depredating hogs or coyotes (see below). Non-residents under 17 years of age may purchase and hunt with the Youth Hunting License (Type 169)

I guess I need a little clarification ...

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    What i was told by several GW I know;
    For depredation or nuisance animals, document and desroy the animal. If you use any part of it , it is recreational hunting and license is required.
    Good luck finding a place. Make sure you have hunter education too.

Sent by a idjit coffeeholic

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    You need a hunting license. There are at least two reasons why.

1. This is your "first hunting trip of any kind." You also want to take and therefore be responsible for several younger folks. You and all shooting parties should take the hunter ed course that is legally required for all persons born after Sept. 2, 1971. You will likely learn something.

2. If you shoot w/o a license, and claim the "depredation" exception, you will have to prove it. Based on the facts you've provided, you will probably end up doing that in court. Buying a license saves you that headache.

Marlowe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    out in the boonies
    What i was told by several GW I know;
    For depredation or nuisance animals, document and desroy the animal. If you use any part of it , it is recreational hunting and license is required.
    Good luck finding a place. Make sure you have hunter education too.

Sent by a idjit coffeeholic
    This is correct: if you're practicing pest control and just drag the dead hog into the bushes, you don't need a license. The second you start to clean the animal, you're hunting and need a license.

As far as the aforementioned "full auto", I was told during a feral hog control seminar, by a game warden, that he really doesn't care what you use: full auto, tannerite, tiger pits, whatever: you're still responsible for anything that comes of it, but they don't care what you're using.

OnyxATX

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Correct on the last two comments. You can dispatch them with no license. You can't take them though... no license, they stay where they until the buzzards eat them.

You don't need a hunting license to shoot a wild mutant gopher that has been raping your cows and punching your cat (you know, in the name of keeping the cows reputation good and the cat from being bullied.) If you go out to hunt said mutant gopher because he would taste good, you are doing so for "hunting" and not pest control. So, license required.

Top Bottom