• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Just a thought, have not spoken to anyone yet. There is room for quite a few pop up gazebos, I have one and may get another soon. Along with some folding tables and chairs, we could fit a sizable crowd on the rifle range. Doc has also told me we can use the closer target berm for pistol shooting. That way we could fit quite a few people on one range. They have the cook shack that would be more than big enough for more than I have ever seen for lunch. Ben might have trouble getting pizza delivered but I'm sure we could come up with something. At worst, it may sufice until a permanent location can be arranged.

Just a thought. Putting this out as an idea. I could not get to Texas Star because they are closed on my days off. Maybe Jeremy can this weekend and get some pics and see if they are interested or even a viable option.

What do you think? Or does anyone have a better idea?

from an idgit coffeeholic

It looks pretty nice. How do they feel about 50 cals, tannerite, NFA stuff, and a bunch of crazy gun nuts?
    Hurley's Gold

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    As far as I can remember, they would be fine with them. Like most ranges, the biggest concern is keeping rounds in the berm. Tannerrite should not be a big problem as long as there are no large charges.
    If it is decided to talk to them, I can get Scott involved and in touch with them and they can discuss details or I can act as go-between and talk to them myself since I already have a relationship with them.
    One thing. We would be pretty much on our own for RSOs. But given our membership, that should not be a big problem. We have some usually show up that would more than qualify.

Oh yeah. I almost forgot. They have a regulation skeet range that is normally extra but might get special pricing for our group for those that want to try their hand at it. Not saying we will, but for a group they might.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    As far as I can remember, they would be fine with them. Like most ranges, the biggest concern is keeping rounds in the berm. Tannerrite should not be a big problem as long as there are no large charges.
    If it is decided to talk to them, I can get Scott involved and in touch with them and they can discuss details or I can act as go-between and talk to them myself since I already have a relationship with them.
    One thing. We would be pretty much on our own for RSOs. But given our membership, that should not be a big problem. We have some usually show up that would more than qualify.

Oh yeah. I almost forgot. They have a regulation skeet range that is normally extra but might get special pricing for our group for those that want to try their hand at it. Not saying we will, but for a group they might.

I don't see the absence of an RSO as that big of a deal. Like I said, the last one of these things I went to didn't have an RSO. The rules were more relaxed, but common sense safety was observed at all times. With this group, if one person decided to be an idiot, I'm sure the other 59 would tell them to knock it off. :D

I would be interested in trying out some skeet. I have one of those cheap throwers, but it's such a PITA to use that I haven't hardly touch my shotguns in a few years.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I don't see the absence of an RSO as that big of a deal. Like I said, the last one of these things I went to didn't have an RSO. The rules were more relaxed, but common sense safety was observed at all times. With this group, if one person decided to be an idiot, I'm sure the other 59 would tell them to knock it off. :D

I would be interested in trying out some skeet. I have one of those cheap throwers, but it's such a PITA to use that I haven't hardly touch my shotguns in a few years.

Several of the regulars are NRA certified range officers. We've had shooters called out before for unsafe gun handling. The wise ones take it to heart, appreciate it, fix it and go on. The others - well, just use your imagination.

GunDok

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2016
    Texas
    I'll likely not be over in time for this one (USCIS taking their sweet time with my visa) however you guys given any consideration to ETTS in Waxahachie? Plenty of bays, and a longer range for rifle stuff (1000 yd iirc)

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    That place is $$$$.

I know a guy that goes there, but he's kind of...

862c1ae6159bdf00fb9f909034cbb9be.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Oh yeah, all they have is porty potty, but it is clean. Might talk them into a second one on the rifle range though.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Been snooping around checking out ranges all over central Texas.
    I can't find a public range that allows the same freedoms we have at Hicksville.
    Nobody allows tannerite. Most have caliber restrictions as well as no FMJ, bi-metal, steel core, etc. ammo.
    I don't know how we're gonna beat that on a public range.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    We may just have to live with that until we find an alternative.

And we will.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Raffle off a gun at the meet. Precedes go to something like Hospice care.

Get in on the 501(c)(3). A charitable event will get more venues.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've shot there. Nice folks, probably not what we are looking for.

They've also had trouble with neighbors so FA and man calibers would likely not be allowed.

Top Bottom