• ...and so much more!
  • Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    My Blazer just hit its 150,000 mile mark. I want to see if I can keep it running strong at 300,000 miles. So my question is, what's the highest mileage you've heard of someone putting on their gasoline powered vehicle? My former boss took his Ford 150 up to 400,000 miles just by keeping up on maintenance and repairs before he traded it in. His current one is at 180,000 miles last I heard.
    Military Camp

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I traded my avalanche at 225000.
    My 98 f150 is at 198000 and going strong.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas

FrEaK_aCcIdEnT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    My 01 s-10 has 159,000 miles. Just changed the original plugs and wires. Plugs looked used, but not oily. The Chevy 4.3 is a work horse. Keep up on the oil changes and maintenance. I was still getting 20.5mpg before I changed the plugs. Hoping to be back to 22.5 to 23 mpg now after the change. Parts are cheap for this thing, so its economical when it comes to repair. I replace calipers and rotors at every brake job. Calipers are usually approx. $14. Wagner thermoquiet rotors and pads are kinda pricey, but they are worth it.

I keep detailed records of all the maintenance and gas mileage.

I'm not worried about the motor. Just the double cardin jointed drive shaft and the 4L60E Chevy used. Have a doorman trans. Pan with drain plug to put it on and a wix trans. Filter when I get around to it. Just have to buy the 8 qts. of fluid...

Run it into the ground!

Also, price shop on Amazon, summit, and rockauto for parts. 3 best options for your blazer. I buy from all 3.

Last edited:

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    I cannot remember what vehicle or engine it was, but our Dispatcher had an older vehicle, that rolled over 1Million, and had 68K on the engine when she finally sold it. It was on Regular Gasoline, not Diesel, Never replaced.

Also, a Used car dealer bought an older Diesel truck that had 438k Miles on it, with no major problems....

Personally rolled over 177K in my car, and had to replace the Rear Main seal, and Oil pump.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    My 2001 Tundra is approaching 200k ... My dad's 1998 4Runner is approaching 200k ... My brother's Avalon is around 250k ... The 1995 Camry my dad had was sold with roughly 225k ... Dad's 1981 Celica had the odometer roll twice and was close to doing it again, so pushing 300k. These are all just routine maintenance.

There's some guys on the Tundra Solutions board that have 400k, 600k and more on their 1st Gen Tundras.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I love a well maintained and well built vehicle. I excluded diesel because its not considered high mileage for them until you hit 1 million miles. I think by that time, people just trade em cause they want something different lol

Sent while trying to concentrate on 6 things at once.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Any reasonably well maintained vehicle can run a million miles. 100k these days isn't at all "high miles." I've torn down several Gen-III/IV GM V8's with 100k on them, and they show no wear beyond that caused by the original break in. Older motors will exhibit more wear, but can still rack up a quarter million pretty reliably. High RPM is really the largest contributor, which is one of the reasons diesel motors live forever. Most automatic transmission wear also happens at high rpm when shift timing is much more critical, and the amount of slip is highest.

I had a quarter million on an old 79 Mustang 2.3L way back when. Traded up to a 91 GT, and on and on. Only 117k on my current truck, runs like new.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I've run up 250 on a f100 (well between me my dad and my grandpa) it finally died when the freeze plugs popped... New motor in it now. But we're still chasing vacume leaks.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    I'm working my way there. Gramps gave me my first pickup, a 1996 F-150 5.0L V8 when it had 117k miles in November 2008. It now has 145k miles.

Sent from the mind of a genius. Forrealz.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    We've had plenty of gasoline trucks go over 300K (Dodge, Ford and Chevy).

My 02 Jeep with the 4.0 still runs great, but I'm probably only around 120k. Lots of 4.0 Jeeps last over 300k.

bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    wifes 1992 taurus had 255XXX miles on it before the engine decided it was sick of her family and commit suicide on the highway. funny part about it, her dad decided to go from synthetic oil with the STP oil addative which he usually did to traditional 5W30 that day when changing the oil. when asked why and tried telling him to keep it the same as he's been, i was told I was the idiot. not sure if its related but Ill say it is.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Depends a lot on the kind of miles put on it. Highway miles are a lot easier.

I really wish we could go to hour meters for maintenance intervals. It would make a ton more sense...

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Yea-especially with city driving. I think people are too set in their ways to accept it though.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yea-especially with city driving. I think people are too set in their ways to accept it though.

City driving and especially short trips are murder on a car. Oddly enough, so is leaving it sit too long...

People don't realize how much wear there is on a cold engine before the oil can actually flow. Multi-grade oils have made it better, but you still need to take it easy on your engine until it's fully warmed up.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I usually take it easy anyways just trying to keep fuel consumption down. I have found that 2,000 rpms is its sweet spot so I try to stick around there.

Top Bottom