• ...and so much more!
  • Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Its actually pretty surprising how decent I can get up to speed from a dead stop by just keeping my RPM's at 2,000 the whole time. Its no drag race by any means, but I'm still there in a good amount of time.

Sent while trying to concentrate on 6 things at once.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    The day the warranty expires.

Funny story some car guys might relate to. Years ago I daily drove a very heavily modified car. Bought the car new, and almost immediately started changing it up. Why I'm not sure, but I bought into the extended warranty BS when I took delivery but never cancelled the policy. Anyway, the car was modified. A lot. The seats were about the only thing still factory. This car sounded more like a pissed off Harley at idle than a V8. To say it had a choppy idle was quite an understatement - the car literally shook. On the way to work one morning, idling down the freeway in stop and go traffic (always fun with a sintered iron unsprung clutch disc), in the middle of a Houston summer, the car starts squealing like crazy and smoke wafts from the hood. Warm air starts blowing from the A/C vents. Didn't take but a second to realize the A/C compressor just locked up. So I click the knob over to vent and start adding up in my head the cost of a new compressor, flush, freon fill, etc. That's when I looked over and saw the Pontiac dealership (when those still existed lol) and remembered my extended warranty! I got that grin we all know so well, and jumped off the freeway. As I'm pulling up the service drive, all the service writers who weren't on the phone start pouring out of their little booths wondering what the heck is driving in. I stop by one of them and jump out of the car. The conversation went something like this:
    Service: Uhhh, can I help you?
    Me: I think so, I'm having a small problem with the car I believe is covered under warranty.
    Service: Oh really. Warranty? Can I ask what all you've got done to it?
    Me: (rattling off all the stats)
    Service: Uh huh. And what is the problem you're having?
    Me: A/C compressor locked up.
    Service: (excited) Oh yeah that's not related! I'll fix it!

I fully expected to get turned away, but was pretty stoked he agreed right off the bat to do the repair. They even did it same day! :cool:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    My '86 Mustang had about 240k on it when I finally sold it.
    I can't remember exactly now, but the '98 C1500 had something like 190k on it when I traded it in.
    The odometer on my BMW 320i stopped working at 118k and I estimate I've put nearly 20k on it since then.
    My '79 Bronco had about 130k miles on it when I sold it. It puked oil for about 20k of that tho, lol...
    The RX8 has something like 118k on it which is impressive for a Wankel

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    My 2000 Impala had 180K on it when it finally died. Not too bad for a recent GM car. Last GM car I'm likely to own for a long time, though...she was a repair queen. Ever suspected that your car had a crush on your mechanic?

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    My 2000 Impala had 180K on it when it finally died. Not too bad for a recent GM car. Last GM car I'm likely to own for a long time, though...she was a repair queen. Ever suspected that your car had a crush on your mechanic?

That right there is my worry ... not that all are shady, but I just don't trust my vehicles to anyone else. Especially avoid quick lube places ... no telling how many drain plugs have been forgotten ...

jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas
    My sister and bil had a 1999 Chevy Silverado with 349,000 miles on the original motor and transmission, they gave it to one of their grandsons and it's still going strong, but did have to replace the transmission shortly after they gave it to him and the computer.

My 2004 Silverado crew cab has 188,000 and still going strong. Thought about buying a new truck but the prices made me change my mind.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Even the non-quick oil change places suck. They don't use the best quality filters, for one. Just changed the oil in my SRT earlier this week, which I paid to have done previously at a cost of over 100 bucks (7 quarts of Mobil 1 + filter at a full service joint ain't cheap). Found the absolute cheapest filter I've ever seen, and one that was less than half of the capacity spec'd for the motor, and the oil viscosity they put in was definitely not the 0W-40 it was supposed to be. Don't know what I actually got, but it certainly wasn't what was supposed to be in there. It poured out thicker than the new oil going in by a mile. Gee, wonder why I've been getting a bunch of lifter clatter on startup?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    My '86 Mustang had about 240k on it when I finally sold it.
    I can't remember exactly now, but the '98 C1500 had something like 190k on it when I traded it in.
    The odometer on my BMW 320i stopped working at 118k and I estimate I've put nearly 20k on it since then.
    My '79 Bronco had about 130k miles on it when I sold it. It puked oil for about 20k of that tho, lol...
    The RX8 has something like 118k on it which is impressive for a Wankel

So just before its second engine? :p

I'm pretty serious when I say that a new engine should be listed as a 60K maintenance item on those cars...

Bear67

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    East Texas
    My wife has driven a Suburban for the last 43 years and the last 2 were sold off at 325,xxx and 340,xxx. The engines and trannys were still fine, but the superstructure was failing fast and past the cost/benefit ratio. This was running Mobil One and changing oil and service regularly on schedule as well as servicing tranny and filters.

I have 2 dodge diesels that are energizer bunnys, one ('95) at 500,xxx and I am going to rebuild tranny and give to grand daughter to drive to school. Got a Duramax, I pull the travel trailer and run around in with only 220,xxx and it is just getting broke in. Everything is good except seats are breaking down--time for a trip to the wrecking yard.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Apex seals are a bitch.

And Wankels are not really rotaries.

Nor is the RX8 engine a 1.3 liter engine, even if Mazda managed to fool the government into thinking it is. They only measured displacement off one face of each rotor. With three faces to each rotor, the actual displacement is 3.9 liters, which means it gets pretty weak specific output.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    And Wankels are not really rotaries.

Nor is the RX8 engine a 1.3 liter engine, even if Mazda managed to fool the government into thinking it is. They only measured displacement off one face of each rotor. With three faces to each rotor, the actual displacement is 3.9 liters, which means it gets pretty weak specific output.

That's an illogical way to describe displacement in a rotary engine. The rotary needs 3 revolutions of the crank to work all 6 chambers in a 2-rotor RX8 (or any rotary engine). The logical way to rate displacement is to measure the displacement of each chamber per rotation. Oddly enough, that comes out to 1.3L on a 1.3L rotary. If you're trying to compare rotor to piston, instead of doubling the rotor's capacity, you should halve the piston's capacity. A piston engine needs two revolutions to complete a cycle, so what we know as a 4.0L piston engine would be a 2.0L under the same measurement principle of the rotary.

Regardless, it's apples to oranges and arguing displacement between the two designs is pointless.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kennethreyes
    Top Bottom