• ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    So just before its second engine?

I'm pretty serious when I say that a new engine should be listed as a 60K maintenance item on those cars...
    It's probably already past due, but the Renesis doesn't fail catastrophically like the older ones do.

Apex seals are a bitch.
    In the Renesis it's the side seals that wear out the fastest, but yeah they whole thing eventually fails...

Nor is the RX8 engine a 1.3 liter engine, even if Mazda managed to fool the government into thinking it is. They only measured displacement off one face of each rotor. With three faces to each rotor, the actual displacement is 3.9 liters, which means it gets pretty weak specific output.
    That's an illogical way to describe displacement in a rotary engine. The rotary needs 3 revolutions of the crank to work all 6 chambers in a 2-rotor RX8 (or any rotary engine). The logical way to rate displacement is to measure the displacement of each chamber per rotation. Oddly enough, that comes out to 1.3L on a 1.3L rotary. If you're trying to compare rotor to piston, instead of doubling the rotor's capacity, you should halve the piston's capacity. A piston engine needs two revolutions to complete a cycle, so what we know as a 4.0L piston engine would be a 2.0L under the same measurement principle of the rotary.
    eh, it's more reasonable to take the rotor displacement and multiply by 1.5 since that's how many revolutions the rotors make per crank revolution. A 1.3L Wankel is equivalent to a 1.95L 4 stroke reciprocator. The biggest difference is power delivery... It's like the difference between a 2.3L I4 and a 2.3L v12.

A binary throttle simply means you don't have enough horsepower.
    Have you ever seen telemetry data from F1 drivers? Most of them treat the throttle as an on-off switch, but make thousands of steering corrections. I don't think they are suffering from a lack of power.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Depends on what year ;) In non-ban years, F1 cars' power output was constantly tweaked to match the amount of available grip, in real time, by their traction management systems. Those years they could mash the go pedal and let the computer take care of it. They banned traction control (again, in '08) though, and since then all teams have been forced to run the same ECU. Telemetry data from 2008 forward will show the driver rolling into the throttle on the corner exits and such.

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    '94 S-10 Extended cab with the 4.3l and auto transmission. Engine never failed, just needed new injectors every 100K miles. Got rid of her with 503K miles. Had the tranny rebuilt at 275K. Got rid of her cause I cracked the frame. Oil changes every 5K miles and regular service plugs every 75K.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Depends on what year ;) In non-ban years, F1 cars' power output was constantly tweaked to match the amount of available grip, in real time, by their traction management systems. Those years they could mash the go pedal and let the computer take care of it. They banned traction control (again, in '08) though, and since then all teams have been forced to run the same ECU. Telemetry data from 2008 forward will show the driver rolling into the throttle on the corner exits and such.

^^ This.

And this:

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    The older air cooled 911's could easily get 300,000 miles before the heads come off. The secret was that it has a 14 quart oil tank, that essentially pre-oils the engine on startup, one of the highest wear conditions for an engine. There is a bit of a sticker shock when you use 2/3 of case of oil to change it.... The oil was used to cool the engine as well, with a small oil radiator in front of the front tire. Unfortunately that is the cheapest part of the car to keep running...

Designated

Senior Unobtanium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Killeen
    So just before its second engine? :p

I'm pretty serious when I say that a new engine should be listed as a 60K maintenance item on those cars...

Sad but true, blown engine on a 2005 with only 36000 miles. Dealership said we were not "driving it hard enough" shit you not. It's telling that back when it happened the engine was a recall item or some such and was replaced free of charge.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    That's an illogical way to describe displacement in a rotary engine. The rotary needs 3 revolutions of the crank to work all 6 chambers in a 2-rotor RX8 (or any rotary engine). The logical way to rate displacement is to measure the displacement of each chamber per rotation. Oddly enough, that comes out to 1.3L on a 1.3L rotary. If you're trying to compare rotor to piston, instead of doubling the rotor's capacity, you should halve the piston's capacity. A piston engine needs two revolutions to complete a cycle, so what we know as a 4.0L piston engine would be a 2.0L under the same measurement principle of the rotary.

Regardless, it's apples to oranges and arguing displacement between the two designs is pointless.

It's only illogical if you don't apply the same rules to the Wankel as you do to a piston engine, which is to measure the total displacement for a full firing cycle. 2 stroke engines don't go off two crank revolutions for displacement, because that would be two firing cycles. I know Mazda tricked the .gov into classing it a 1.3 by having them measure only 1/3 the displacement. It's why they've had emissions problems with the engine since forever.

BTW, a true rotary has pistons, and a crankshaft that's fixed to the vehicle (so the cylinders spin with the load) and resembles a radial engine. The Wankel has no hallmarks of being a rotary.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The older air cooled 911's could easily get 300,000 miles before the heads come off. The secret was that it has a 14 quart oil tank, that essentially pre-oils the engine on startup, one of the highest wear conditions for an engine. There is a bit of a sticker shock when you use 2/3 of case of oil to change it.... The oil was used to cool the engine as well, with a small oil radiator in front of the front tire. Unfortunately that is the cheapest part of the car to keep running...

Depends on the year. Certain air-cooled cars wanted top-end rebuilds pretty regular. The bottom end was solid, though.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Sad but true, blown engine on a 2005 with only 36000 miles. Dealership said we were not "driving it hard enough" shit you not. It's telling that back when it happened the engine was a recall item or some such and was replaced free of charge.

Yeah, I've heard that "drive it hard" thing before. Not sure if it's BS, but I don't see how it couldn't be.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    BTW, a true rotary has pistons, and a crankshaft that's fixed to the vehicle (so the cylinders spin with the load) and resembles a radial engine. The Wankel has no hallmarks of being a rotary.
    You sound angry about that ;)

Yeah, I've heard that "drive it hard" thing before. Not sure if it's BS, but I don't see how it couldn't be.
    The theory is that they tend to load up with carbon when not driven hard enough (probably because of the oil injection, premixing a good 2cycle oil is better for it), which prematurely wears the seals.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011

It has a rotor, so it's a rotary engine. I understand that plane engines used the term first, but it is still correct (and perhaps even more correct) to describe the engine in the Mazda, just like how people (myself included) sometimes call an engine a motor.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    You sound angry about that ;)

The theory is that they tend to load up with carbon when not driven hard enough (probably because of the oil injection, premixing a good 2cycle oil is better for it), which prematurely wears the seals.

Im actually supposed to drive my jetta tdi hard. If i dont, carbon builds up in my intake, gumming it up. This is proven fact. There are other cars too thqt are supposed to be driven hard. Ferraris, lambos, sports cars, ect.

sent from my dishwasher

Top Bottom