• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I saw that cabelas has the high point .45 carbine for a cheap price and was wondering what y'all think of it as a rifle, hog gun, accurate?
    I hunt whitetail and hogs, occasionally squirrels
    What're yalls thoughts of it overall (quality, reliability, knock down power, accuracy)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    I have one and have never had a problem with function, it has been flawless. Accuracy is so so, like 1.5 inches at 50 yards with a scope but I'm not that great a shot. I would imagine 50 yards would be about the optimum range for hog hunting with it, but I'm no expert.

Hopefully someone with hog hunting experience will chime in about using a 45 acp.

I should also add that the only ammunition I've ever used in it is 230gr FMJ Round Nose.

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I will concede to those with more experience hunting hogs than I have but my first impression is no.

The .45 ACP seems a little underpowered for hogs, especially the larger ones. I think you could get into real trouble if you were on the ground and a large hog decided to rush you.

The gun I don't have any experience with at all.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Just my thoughts but a 230 grain JHP or JSP at 850 FPS is a very poor choice for hogs and also squirrels. I would use a 22LR on squirrels. I would select a lot more gun for hogs. Say a 44 magnum 240grain JSP at 1200 FPS as a minimum. The 44 mag is Almost the Same bullet and nearly double the speed. But Hogs really need a real rifle round. Sure people shoot them with a 223 but I prefer a 243, 308, 30-06, 444, 45-70. You can get a Ruger American for $300 with a scope at Walmart and Academy and it will kill hogs, elk, moose big brown bears and anything else you would ever need. It can also shoot out to several hundred yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Agreed, it's not the rifle but the round that will fall short. .45ACP is a great pistol round, and perhaps submachine gun; but for hogs (and especially big ones) you need a rifle caliber...

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    Yea, .45 ACP is not the best round for the thick skull and hide of Javelina at anything further than 50 yards. Will it work?? Yes, but is it a good idea?? Nope.

Remember, hogs are smart animals, have a good sense of smell, and are very aggressive around food sources. Getting in close to a group of hogs outside of a blind is difficult and borderline dangerous without experience . When the males are in sentinel mode (females and babies eating first) they are grouchy and will charge if startled or if you get close enough to provoke.

IMO, the High Point is a great rifle, but just not the best rifle for a good hog hunt. Can is work? Sure, but a .243, 7.62, or .223 should be a better candidate for the hunt. Take a .45 acp or .357 magnum sidearm for the "just in case" you do get charged upon and need something for close range. The pistol will also help you dispatch any wounded game at point blank range.

TheEnglishman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2016
    How cheap is cheap? There are some decent bolt action rifles for around $350 in a variety of calibres that will be better for shooting hogs.

I have a hi point and it's a great carbine, but I would want something else to take a hog down.

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I've hunted hogs before...my stand is 20yds away. And I have a bunch of guns already.
    In the end if .45 acp was cheaper I'd prob get it. But it is a sluggish round and not cheap

They were selling it for $260

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I had 9mm HiPoint carbine... It ran reliably and seemed accurate enough, but I just didn't like it.

I've seen lots of pictures of hogs taken with .45 cal air rifles, and they are pushing the bullet about the same speed a .45acp from a 16" barrel. Not ideal, but doable. I'd like a carbine in .460 Rowland for an ultralight brush gun, but I wouldn't bother converting something as lackluster as a HiPoint.

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    The only pistol calibers I know of that are good on hogs are 357 sig, 10MM and 44 mag. This was at nearly point blank range, so you better be close. Anything used for a head shot in the exact spot will work, but we know how easy that is. Its all about penetration.

Last edited:

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    If you can put it in the right spot it'll work..... I took a deer last year with a 185gr XTP at 20yds out of a 1911. Bullet entered perfectly behind the shoulder and went through the off shoulder breaking the bone and stopping just barely under the hide.

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    If you can put it in the right spot it'll work..... I took a deer last year with a 185gr XTP at 20yds out of a 1911. Bullet entered perfectly behind the shoulder and went through the off shoulder breaking the bone and stopping just barely under the hide.
    That's funny. I had a good buddy do a quick draw and took a deer at like 15 yards with a 9mm last season. He was setting up first thing in the morning and the thing walked out of the thicket right in front of him. Dropped him dead to rights.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    That's funny. I had a good buddy do a quick draw and took a deer at like 15 yards with a 9mm last season. He was setting up first thing in the morning and the thing walked out of the thicket right in front of him. Dropped him dead to rights.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Ha...I killed a deer with a 25 acp. To be honest I had already shot it with a 308 but it was still breathing when I walked up to it. Shot it in the ear with the .25 and that finished it off.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    The .45acp round out of a 16" barrel is a dog out past about 50ft. It just looses too much energy too rapidly.
    Yes, you could use it up close on ear shots but out at any distance you'll just piss'em off with that round.
    I'd strongly recommend not to use it unless you're right on top of them. If you're that close use a pistol?
    Only pistol rounds worth a flip out of a carbine are .357mag or 44mag.

Ever wonder why .45acp subguns like the Thompson or M-3 Grease gun have 10" barrels?
    10 inches gives the max velocity for the .45acp cartridge.
    Any longer barrel actually causes loss of energy due to the friction on the bullet.

Top Bottom