• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ElevenBravo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    Why are hog hunts being advertised so expensive, if the the feral pig is considered an invasive, destructive animal?

Sent from my SM-P607T using Tapatalk

Because there's money to be made. Because out of state Yankees like me will pay for the privilege.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    LOL, that's my video!

I am a huge fan of the 6.5 Grendel because of the mild recoil (compared to .308) and good penetration. Basically, going to the Grendel from the .308 did not seem to reduce my ability to get kills, but it did give me a much more pleasant shooting platform.

Not that I am a Grendel snob, 6.8 SPC is certainly close enough in performance (and more ammo and rifle options) that I would gladly use it as well. I just happened to get started in 6.5 Grendel. I have hunted with the 6.8 and like it just fine.

I would say that choosing a good hunting bullet is as important as the caliber.

Nice video. Surprised how many were not recovered. Looked like nice shots.

What type of scope setup do you have?

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    Nice video. Surprised how many were not recovered. Looked like nice shots.

What type of scope setup do you have?

I often hunt limited environments that offer some very difficult recovery options if the animal does run. Out in West Texas, going on my hands and knees through cedar tunnels among the cactus and rattlesnakes just isn't prudent in the dark and not a great idea during the day, LOL. In my area, once you get into the woods, the issue is poison ivy. Two of the hogs that were recovered in the oats field were just tough to find. One looked like it ran when it didn't (searched wrong area) and the other ended up being about 50 yards farther west than I realized. Review of the video overnight had me going back the next day to find them. Still, both were tough to find in waist high oats.

Even worse is that hogs, particularly boars, seem to often seal up after being shot if the entry and exit wounds are not massive. This is due to fat and shield. That results in a lack of blood trails or blood trails that stop after a short distance.

Part of the testing was to see what happens with typical shoulder shots. If you don't his CNS on a hog, it very well may run. That seems to hold true with .45-70, .458 Socom, .308 6.8 spc, 6.5 Grendel, 5.56, etc. Most hogs won't get beyond 100 yards and a lot collapse inside the first 40, even if they run.

My setup is a 20" Alexander Arms Grendel upper with a heavy barrel from Shilen. The scope is an Armasight Zeus 3, thermal scope (640 resolution).

Why are hog hunts being advertised so expensive, if the the feral pig is considered an invasive, destructive animal?

Sent from my SM-P607T using Tapatalk

Hogs are destructive, but the are also a commodity. An adult hog will eat approximately 3% of its body weight per day. So a 280 lb hog will eat through about 3000 lbs of food per year. That counts up. However, as noted above, maybe just tongue and cheek, but few people are really keen on armed strangers prowling their properties at night, blasting away. On all the places I have access to hunt, I have to repair or buy whatever I shoot. This year down in Bosque County, I was given full access to the property I was warned that the calves started at $1500 and 1 year olds at $2500. The horses are pets and are priceless, LOL. Last year, they didn't let me hunt any pastures with cattle. I had to prove myself to the landowner.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    To offset the inadvertent damage "hunters" cause. Shooting cows, tanks, horses, dogs, etc.
    Most of the landowners won't let anyone except trusted friends. Too many problems from property damage to liability if someone gets hurt.

jazzman709

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2016
    Thank you, makes sense...didn't really think about "some" hunters being just as destructive as the animal they were hunting.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

jazzman709

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2016
    I guess that reminds me of a story i was told years ago of this guy going hunting during deer season...this guy and his buddy were hunting, and put this nice "buck' in his cross hairs, ...took the shot...animal goes down. He and his buddy were excited, killed their "first' deer. They strapped the "deer" to the hood of the car, drove through town so EVERYONE could see their trophy. Then they heard gunshots and a guy in a pick-up chasing after them. The guy in the pick up finally catches up with them, and the two guys asked asked the farmer why he was shooting at them, they saw the "buck" first...the farmer told them, that's not a "buck" you dang fools, you killed my cow lol

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Punchline to an old joke.
    "Yes ma'am, you can have the deer. Can I take my saddle off it first?"

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    ElevenBravo,

VERY TRUE. = As long as morons are willing to PAY for what the ranchers/farmers want GONE (and sometimes PAY to have removed from their land), the landowners will charge to shoot feral hogs.
    (To quote a line from THE GODFATHER, "We're not communists.")

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Techenigma,

I'm starting to leave my treasured Model 760 in .300 Savage at home when slaying hogs in favor of my black powder 11.7x56R or .50-70 Remington Rolling Block rifles.
    (As of today, NOT even one hog hasn't been GYD immediately for either caliber's hit.)

yours, satx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Came across a like new complete upper in 25 WSSM. 257Ackley improved ballistics out of an AR platform.

Too bad it's a dead cal. $75++ for a box of twenty on gunbroke...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    The upper looked new. The pawn wanted in the high $600 for it. Stainless barrel.

Unless someone somewhere starts making the brass or ammo. There's only so much that's out there and it's getting older by the day.

It's worthless. If you can't find ammo. $2 a trigger pull? Sometimes the pawn screws you, sometimes someone really screws the pawn. Then it'll get passed to another person that doesn't know the ammo is as rare as straight teeth on a chicken.

Top Bottom