• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ElevenBravo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    TSX and TTSX tends to be great in a wide range of velocities in my experience. I love that bullet for its reliable performance. I really want to like the Hornady GMX but my rifles just don't seem to like them.

The Mrs. shoots nothing but TSX. I just did up a TSX load for the Scout, leaving the Hornady bullets for target shooting. I was interested in Hornady's ELD-X bullets, but saw something on a program on TV that suggested that they're Interlocks with a new tip. Between that and they're pretty new bullets, I'm passing on them and sticking with Barnes. You have to play with the seating depth if you're doing handloads, but they're a made a lot more consistently than traditional bullets.
    Gun Zone Deals

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I use accubonds a lot with great results but also run Berger hybrids and Amax with the new eld this year. I've shot pigs with all and not lost any. Placement depends on situation but all good results.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Y'all seen this guy's videos? He posts a lot of hog hunts on a 6.5 Grendel forum I frequent. He uses lots of different bullets and shows the damage they produce.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    robertc1024,

NICE shooting.

One reason that I use my old .300 Savage Model 760 pump-gun with a 180 grain GCCB at about 2000FPS is that it's a GOOD KILLER but does NOT cause "massive tissue damage" & wastes little edible meat.

The piglet & one of the younger sows that he took would have, after being dressed, gone on our BBQ pit whole. = Looks YUM to me.

NICE video.

yours, satx

Last edited:

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Does one need to have a hunting license for hog eradication? Not hunting for meat or trophy, simply to lower numbers!

Sent from...wait where am I!?

Unless you have provided more information in another post that I have not seen, Savage20 should not have answered your question with a simple "technically no."

Directly from the Parks and Wildlife Code:

Sec. 42.002. RESIDENT LICENSE REQUIRED; EXEMPTION.
    (a) Except as provided by Subsections (b) and (c) of this section, no resident may hunt any bird or animal in this state without having acquired a hunting license.

(c) A resident landowner or the landowner's agent or lessee may take feral hogs causing depredation on the resident landowner's land without having acquired a hunting license.

Are you the LO? If you're the agent, you'll need depredation consent in writing. Same for licensee.

The way it works is you'll get a ticket from the GW based on his mood, and then you get to go to court to prove the depredation.

Get a license.

Last edited:

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Technically, you do not need a license. Is it a good idea to have one? Yes, of course it is because some GWs will cite you regardless, others will cite you if so much as say the word hunt, while others won't even bother you because they're familiar with the ranch and the hog problem (if there really is one). There is nothing incorrect or misleading about my statement. Technically, he does not need a hunting license to eradicate hogs. He is not taking meat, he is not taking hides or trophies, he is simply killing feral hogs. For that, he does not need a hunting license.

"Technically" - I don't think it means what you think it means.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've never met a game warden who gave a damn about people thinning the hog population, as long as they weren't doing anything stupid.

Hogs are bad, m'kay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    I know all the GWs in the areas I hunt. They're all cool. I've only heard of the uptight ones, never met one.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Technically, you do not need a license. Is it a good idea to have one? Yes, of course it is because some GWs will cite you regardless, others will cite you if so much as say the word hunt, while others won't even bother you because they're familiar with the ranch and the hog problem (if there really is one). There is nothing incorrect or misleading about my statement. Technically, he does not need a hunting license to eradicate hogs. He is not taking meat, he is not taking hides or trophies, he is simply killing feral hogs. For that, he does not need a hunting license.

"Technically" - I don't think it means what you think it means.

You don't know him, and you don't know his situation, therefore you can't speak to whether he meets the qualifications for depredation eradication without a hunting license. That's all I'm trying to say.

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    Got a license.......then got this!
    76f3b7c85f878777532e88058ed57eba.jpg

Shot him Friday night and he took off, my buddy found him this afternoon!

Sent from...wait where am I!?

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    Y'all seen this guy's videos? He posts a lot of hog hunts on a 6.5 Grendel forum I frequent. He uses lots of different bullets and shows the damage they produce.

LOL, that's my video!

I am a huge fan of the 6.5 Grendel because of the mild recoil (compared to .308) and good penetration. Basically, going to the Grendel from the .308 did not seem to reduce my ability to get kills, but it did give me a much more pleasant shooting platform.

Not that I am a Grendel snob, 6.8 SPC is certainly close enough in performance (and more ammo and rifle options) that I would gladly use it as well. I just happened to get started in 6.5 Grendel. I have hunted with the 6.8 and like it just fine.

I would say that choosing a good hunting bullet is as important as the caliber.

jazzman709

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2016
    Why are hog hunts being advertised so expensive, if the the feral pig is considered an invasive, destructive animal?

Sent from my SM-P607T using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom