• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ElevenBravo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    A Benelli M1-90 will do them with Zombie Max 00buck at 111.;)

I don't know what y'all down there are feeding your hogs down there. I've shot a few with my bear loads (220gr round nose Partition from a 300 WSM) and they look at me like I just called their mamas fat. Shot one right through the heart last year with that load and he ran for 200 yards through some of the worst underbrush I've ever seen. All the bears I've shot with that load have been DRT.

I shot a 212 pound hog this year, he took 3 rounds to the chest from my Scout before he died, the first was at about 5 yards.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I don't know what y'all down there are feeding your hogs down there. I've shot a few with my bear loads (220gr round nose Partition from a 300 WSM) and they look at me like I just called their mamas fat. Shot one right through the heart last year with that load and he ran for 200 yards through some of the worst underbrush I've ever seen. All the bears I've shot with that load have been DRT.

I shot a 212 pound hog this year, he took 3 rounds to the chest from my Scout before he died, the first was at about 5 yards.
    Better shot placement fixes that. If you put it in the ear they don't move a step. With a heavy well constructed like you used a on shoulder shot is best but not as immediate at times.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I prefer Rio Royal Star rifled slugs. Much more economic lol. I think I pay $2.50 a box of 5.

Got the Z-max on clearance. I think a box of 20 was $11. I bought all of them. The Z-max is screaming fast 00. Box says 1600fps. Have not chronographed it, but when I popped pigs at 111, I got 4 of them with 8 shots as they were running across a 2track. I am happy with that performance

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd

You're aware that hog vitals are much lower and more forward than most other common game, notably whitetail. Anyway, I go for neck shots typically, or straight through the shoulder. Neck shot will drop 'em DRT and is a much larger target than the ear canal. Shoulder shot will blow out their vitals and if they still have fight, they ain't running anywhere because you took out their front legs.

Also, what is your definition of dead? If you shot that 212lb hog at 5yds, then it was either dead or you're a terrible shot. Ya they'll kick and squeal sometimes but they also do that when I've shot them through their spine. Muscle spasms and reflexes and all...

cesar medina

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2014
    Anybody mention ak(7.62x39)? Thats my hog gun and them suckers just flop over. Some do run but not too far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Kosh75287

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    Last hog-hunt I went on, I used an L1-A1 with 150 gr. soft points. What I managed to hit fell down without much fuss. I don't know what your intended price range is, but you might also consider a lever-action .44 Mag, or even a used lever-action .30-30. Both of these rounds have dropped plenty of hogs, and are available in fairly light, unobtrusive carbines that can easily strike past 100 yards (150 for the .30-30). Just a thought.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    You're aware that hog vitals are much lower and more forward than most other common game, notably whitetail. Anyway, I go for neck shots typically, or straight through the shoulder. Neck shot will drop 'em DRT and is a much larger target than the ear canal. Shoulder shot will blow out their vitals and if they still have fight, they ain't running anywhere because you took out their front legs.

Also, what is your definition of dead? If you shot that 212lb hog at 5yds, then it was either dead or you're a terrible shot. Ya they'll kick and squeal sometimes but they also do that when I've shot them through their spine. Muscle spasms and reflexes and all...

Eye balls are also a good aiming spot. Separate the brain into red mist or separate the spinal cord from the brain.

sow-pig-anatomy.jpg

AnnaHeadRightBrain2930ew.jpg

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Also a very difficult shot. Small and moves around a lot, being attached to the head and all.

Very true. An average pig heart weighs 3#.(size similar to Human)

The brain weighs an average 180 grams or about a little over a 1/4#. Equivalent in size to a racket ball.

The heart is the bigger target.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    ElevenBravo,

UNDERSTOOD. = As I've said elsewhere, a military Game Warden at Ft Hood some years ago responded to the report of an "aggressive boar that is charging soldiers", arrived at the location, found the boar & fired at him twice from about 60M, with a M1 Garand, loaded with JSP ammo.
    The boar then charged the Game Warden.
    The GM then fired 4 or 5 more shots, knocking the boar down twice.
    The boar then got back up & the GM took refuge on the roof of the PU. - He then emptied his clip into the boar at less than 5M.
    (According to the GW, the boar was still trying to "get at me", when the hog finally "bled out".)

Note: At that time, Ft. Hood GW were issued a Garand with only one clip of 8 rounds of 150 grain JSP hunting ammo for game control. - That "policy" has, as a result of this incident, been changed.

When the hog was "dressed out", it was found that the GW had hit the hog in the neck/chest seven times & had missed once.

Some hogs "seem to be armor-plated" & quite fierce, too.
    (That's why I routinely hunt from an elevated or tree stand.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Neck shots are easy for me. I will pass that advice on to the next group of hunters that I "guide" on our property that insist on head shots and inevitably miss or blow off the animal's jaw. Brings a whole new meaning to "fair chase."

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Nah. Just let it run and wait for the next one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Even for WT? lol

That's where I see the worst offenders. They are trying to save the most meat by going for the head....

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Never seen anyone go for HS on white tail. If they can make the shot, go for it. If not, public criticism.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Never seen anyone go for HS on white tail. If they can make the shot, go for it. If not, public criticism.

I've seen the aftermath of a 270 hitting a doe in the face. It's explosive. It completely shattered the skull. No recognisable parts either.

Not my shooting.

I dropped a doe with a 243. I yelped, she turns her head looks my way. The bullet entered right below the eyes, end of the upper septum. It poked through and completely severed the spinal cord. As in blew it the fu¢k out the back of the neck. Soft point ammo.

Most central Texas hunt distances are usually 100 yards. Cedar trees ain't transparent so the visibility is short.

I've seen a number of head shots. I've done a lot myself. It's not that extreme of shooting. Unless I've been doing it wrong?

Top Bottom