• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasHorn7

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2023
    Dallas
    I drew a permit to hunt a specific tract of land in the Trinity River NWS. Although I will be hunting deer, there are allegedly a ton of pigs on the property that I am free to shoot.

Not having hunted a pest before, am I supposed to take some of the meat from them? Do I just leave them?
    Lynx Defense

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I drew a permit to hunt a specific tract of land in the Trinity River NWS. Although I will be hunting deer, there are allegedly a ton of pigs on the property that I am free to shoot.

Not having hunted a pest before, am I supposed to take some of the meat from them? Do I just leave them?
    <>

Depends on time of year, prevailing weather, & size/age of hog.

We hunt the lower Rio Colorado hardwood bottoms and the pork has been wonderful.

I have some now from Northern Llano County which is also very good.

<>

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    When I hunted the Aransas National Wildlife Area the first couple of years, if you killed a hog you had to take it with you...... now they just want them dead........leaving them is not a problem anymore..............lots of critters to eat them.......

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Found this in 2.2 seconds.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230922_085302_Samsung Internet.jpg
      Screenshot_20230922_085302_Samsung Internet.jpg
      259.1 KB · Views: 71

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Probably because those guidelines aren’t specific to the public tract being hunted.
    In fact, those guidelines were published by an Arkansas university. I don't think a Texas Game Warden would give them much weight.

The OP asks an interesting question. "Surely the state of Texas has published guidelines somewhere" is what I thought until I did some digging.

This Feral Hog Manual is published by the state and bears the imprint of various state agencies and others who are mostly concerned with preventing the contamination of water sources. It only says...
    If you do not plan to eat, sell, or transport the hog after it has been killed, dispose of it properly. Place the carcass far enough away from a water body to prevent contamination. Because a dead carcass will likely attract other animals to feed, moving the carcass away from a water source will eliminate the direct deposition of bacteria, nutrients, and other contaminants by these animals as well.
    ...which I don't take as authoritative for the OP's purpose.

The flyers for hunting in the Trinity River National Wildlife Refuge all contain similar language, advising hunters that...
    State Regulations apply. Incidental take of feral hog. See TPWD Drawn Hunts to apply.
    ...which means that, supposedly, the source for info should be the TPWD pages about drawn hunts, found here. If you dive into the FAQs from that page, found here, you get essentially bupkis when it comes to on-point info addressing the OP's question. However, the "if all else fails" option found on most FAQs is at the bottom of that page. It says...
    If I have additional questions, who do I contact?

Contact the Public Hunting Program at (512)389-4505 or hunt@tpwd.texas.gov
    ...and it's my guess that the OP is going to have to go that route.

If you do, OP, please post back and tell us what you find out.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Once you've shot the hog, leave your place of concealment and, using a good knife, cut a six inch horizontal slit below the hog's sternum. Once you've cut through the skin and underlying fat and muscle, insert a 2lb jar of tannerite in the chest cavity and return to your concealed position. Then, in a loud voice, announce "Hey y'all - watch this!" and take a follow-up shot on the hog, detonating the tannerite.

Be sure to film the festivities.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I would drag it under a bush or tree, not leave it in the open. But its definitely staying there.

If its cold for a month or more, and the hog is under 80 lbs I would keep it.

But keep in mind that if you shoot a pig, you won't shoot a deer there.

TexasHorn7

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2023
    Dallas
    I would drag it under a bush or tree, not leave it in the open. But its definitely staying there.

If its cold for a month or more, and the hog is under 80 lbs I would keep it.

But keep in mind that if you shoot a pig, you won't shoot a deer there.

I will only shoot them if I get skunked on a deer.

Top Bottom