• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I will say that constant recording is the only way to go, you can review 24 hours in minutes at high speed. The software will automatically remove old files to make room. Having to open endless event or movement files is a PIA. Cameras that have their own SD card recording events and movement is a good backup. If you think your setup is good, film yourself and see if you can make out your face or the face of someone else. Recording someone is of very little use if you cannot identify them.
    Foscam just introduced a new PTZ HD camera with zoom. For the price, it is hard to beat. Their new software is very good. Properly placed indoors they are not subject vandalism, and do not have to be cleaned. The IR source does not work through windows, so a light or external illumination source is required.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Does anyone know anything about services like AT&T's "Digital Life"....I was trying to compare the quality of their cameras to the suggestions in this thread, and I can't find where they say much about their cameras. Makes me feel like they are pawning off a bunch of shitty equipment.

hardcase60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Central Texas
    Visited the AT&T's "Digital Life" website. Perhaps it is just me but that's the biggest all hype and no substance I'm seen in a while. Thought maybe I was at a North Houston used car lot.

Couldn't find spec's on anything. Didn't see any info on exactly what equipment the two different packages contained or what equipment was in the add-on packages. For instance with the camera's, I presume the package only adds one unit then any additional cameras are a-la-cart. Same with the door sensors. Maybe I'm being to harsh or didn't look in the right place but I was not impressed. And darn it I really wanted to be........

hardcase60

datboiroy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2014
    Just picked me up a surveillance system for the house from Fry's. Anyone know a good company to install it? Too busy to DIY and I have a 2story house so I don't have a big enough ladder to reach the top.

Gopher711

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Best Buy has a "D-Link" camera that hooks up via Bluetooth to your computer and will send images to your iPhone or iPad via internet in real time . You can remotely pan camera view from where you are to scan if needed also. Camera has night vision with light/movement detectors so it can be set as an alarm and will buzz your device if something trips it.(say you have it facing your gate / door ,etc, and someone pulls up , camera comes on, buzzes your phone then streams vid to you ). $150

Robb in Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Gtown
    Have any Cliff's Notes for those of us who don't have half a day to kill?

If you want a good system, i.e. one which you can ID faces and license plates you need to spend money. On the order of $1500 for a 4 camera system. Look to the megapixel versions. The good cheap ones this guy likes are the Hikvision (can be had for ~$190 on Amazon/Ebay). He also recommends a wired system.

For good night vision, you'll need separate IR 'lights' to throw more IR out there.

NOLA Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    I personally like to run all my cameras in RG-59, it is SUPER durable, simple, and I never have an issue with it. 3.6mm 700TVL bullets would be my personal baseline for most short or indoor shots. Especially shots under your front porch towards your front door, under a car port, etc. If anyone needs cable or BNC connectors drop me a message.

Top Bottom