Join TexasGunTalk

Home security cameras

Discussion in 'Home Preparedness and Shelters' started by breakingcontact, Nov 7, 2013.

1. breakingcontact

breakingcontact TGT Addict

Oct 16, 2012
    Outside Austin
    We touched on this in a different thread.

I'm planning on getting some cameras soon.

What brands/setups can you all recommend?

I want 360 coverage, I think I can do that with 6-8 cameras.

2. Ricklovesbacon

Ricklovesbacon TGT Addict

Feb 2, 2013
    Austin
    Subscribed

Sent from the Bacon isle at your local grocery store.

3. Ricklovesbacon

Ricklovesbacon TGT Addict

Feb 2, 2013
    Austin
    I will soon be in the market. I'm looking for something that only I can monitor.

Sent from the Bacon isle at your local grocery store.

4. breakingcontact

Oct 16, 2012
    Outside Austin
    I definitely want it to record and have some sort of online or remote viewing access.

5. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Start off by drawing a diagram of your house. Then walk around and see what views you need. That will give you an idea of how many cameras you need. Wired cameras are best, imo. You will have no interference issues, but wireless cameras are MUCH easier to install. You will still need to run power to the wireless cameras.

For outside be sure and get infrared cameras. They have IR transmitters so the cameras can see at night.

You can buy kits that include cameras and DVRs. You can hook those up to your TV, and network them so you can see on your smart phone. Some kits are self contained. Meaning you get a monitor with the kit and even some with a built in DVR.

Be careful and really research the system. Some are only viewable on your smart phone via SKYPE, and you can only see one camera and have to maintain an active computer connection.

6. LJH

LJH Well-Known

Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    We have a Swann 16 channel HD. I don't remember the model number but it was a bit spendy. Like most things you get what you pay for. It came highly recommended and after doing my own research I went ahead and picked it up. I am pleased with the unit, not the support from the company. They don't respond to email, and rarely answer there phone. The unit works like a champ, except for the default DDNS (so you can view it from the internet). The default DDNS is through Swann and only works sometimes. Your options to remedy this are use someone else for DDNS or a static IP. We upgraded our internet to a static IP and this fixed my only issue with the system.

The system we replaced was ok, but after an incident when we reviewed the recording it was just not good enough to do much with. So whatever unit you get, make sure the camera and recording is decent quality, HD preferred.

7. Deavis

Deavis Active Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    If you are willing to build your own box, Acti has good software and cameras. You can get a lot of camera and even an old computer will power their software giving you full control remotely, the ability to program detection, blackouts areas, etc.

8. breakingcontact

Oct 16, 2012
    Outside Austin
    Looks like most of the cheaper systems come with 4 cameras and more expensive with 8. I was thinking 6 would be ideal but 4 may work, its a small house.

9. Younggun

Younggun Doer of Deeds TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    What are you looking to spend.

I can very close to picking up a wired 4 camera system with DVR from radio shack for $400. I think it could handle more cameras but came with 4. 30 day memory IIRC, but that may have been total recording time(so 1/4 of that running 4 cameras).

Don't think it was set up for remote viewing online but with my Internet options I don't really look in to that stuff.

10. breakingcontact

Oct 16, 2012
    Outside Austin
    I dont want cheap but cant buy top of the line.

So something quality for a reasonable price. $500?