• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    At 2:30 AM on a Saturday night (technically Sunday) during ROT Rally in Austin, after dodging two drunks to go get something to eat I find two APD squad cars parked next to each other in the Walmart parking lot.

Why exactly would two police officers be hanging out in their squad cars at night during one of the most prolific drunk driver days of the week, month, and year?

Just seems to me like they wouldn't schedule a lunch hour during the hour preceding and following bars closing down. I'm a little pissed that I had to dodge drunks to go get food while the police just presumably hang out in the parking lot.

Furthermore, I'm a firm believer that they should setup DUI stops between bars and any food establishment for maximum effectiveness.

ghostscout

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Cedar Park/ North Austin
    At 2:30 AM on a Saturday night (technically Sunday) during ROT Rally in Austin, after dodging two drunks to go get something to eat I find two APD squad cars parked next to each other in the Walmart parking lot.

Why exactly would two police officers be hanging out in their squad cars at night during one of the most prolific drunk driver days of the week, month, and year?

Just seems to me like they wouldn't schedule a lunch hour during the hour preceding and following bars closing down. I'm a little pissed that I had to dodge drunks to go get food while the police just presumably hang out in the parking lot.

Furthermore, I'm a firm believer that they should setup DUI stops between bars and any food establishment for maximum effectiveness.

this would ruin getting my drunk chomp on, how dare you suggest this

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    One of them must have pulled over a hot chick and let her off, therefore getting a phone number. He then radio'd the other cop to come over at the lot to brag.

Always see two cops parked at random parking lots.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    shoot, I wish we could have "scheduled" lunch breaks. I'm lucky if I can get a full meal with our calls. Unless you specifically talked with them, there are numerous reasons they could have been door to door. They could have just finished a call where one officer is doing a supplement report to the other, could just be talking, or other issues. Now, flip it around and hear all the other people who are complaining when they see people getting pulled over around 2am and making accusations that cops are profiling for bar hoppers. It's a lose/lose situation. Perception is everything. They could have also been told to stay out of traffic due to the volume of people there. Personally, I prefer to meet another officer "in the field" than at a gas station or somewhere else where somebody could think all we did was take breaks, lol.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Now, flip it around and hear all the other people who are complaining when they see people getting pulled over around 2am and making accusations that cops are profiling for bar hoppers. It's a lose/lose situation. Perception is everything. They could have also been told to stay out of traffic due to the volume of people there.
    +1

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Maybe they just want to exchange some information without other people listening. Which I think is perfectly OK. Kinda' like talking to a fellow employee........say, at Academy about some "ass clown" customer without the customer, other customers, or your boss, etc. hearing you.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I have officers park in a high visibility spots around businesses that have been victims of theft or burglary. Usually the down time is measured in minutes, so they are told, "when you have a few minutes stay visible around ****** store, they got broke into twice in the overnight hours last month"

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub

whats the old saying? walk a mile in a man's shoes.....you're assuming way too much imo

the supreme court has given guidance on DUI checkpoints

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I asked this during my recent ride-along with the SAPD. The officer I was with was completing a report while her partner was "keeping watch." It was also an opportunity for them to share information without having to resort to the radio or cell phones. It made perfect sense, and I saw the tactic used several times during the shift.

I've had the debate on DUI checkpoints in another forum, they are un-Constitutional in Texas and most of my research has found that they aren't as effective as some organizations make them out to be. However, because they are "high profile," people like to think they are. What they do is stop a lot of innocent people without probable cause, which is illegal.

But what is really driving the DUI problem at least here in San Antonio is the court system. It is not uncommon to see people getting slaps on the wrists for their first offense, and even for their second. Recently a judge released an individual convicted DUI that involved the death of a local surgeon because the guilty party "felt bad about what he had done!" :banghead:

I am sure every LE agency in the state would love more resources to combat DUIs, but the truth is the stricter enforcement of the laws already on the books would go a lot further in stopping it. It is sad in this day and age to see people killed every weekend due to drunk drivers, as it is in San Antonio.

Lastly, I have to say that my ride-along experience was an excellent opportunity to get a glance into the life of the SAPD. It was a result of that agency's Citizen Police Academy, which I thoroughly enjoyed and which also was a very educational experience. I would strongly recommend anyone who has the opportunity to participate in such a program to do so, you will learn a lot and be a lot less speculative about law enforcement in your community!

Cheers! M2

CZ guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Left of Galveston Bay
    I went to Wally World the other day to buy a piece of cheap Chinese junk but the price was not on the item. I walked FIVE aisles in search of an employee, all the while dodging speeding shopping carts and snotty nose kids, only to see SIX employees sitting in a lounge chatting and laughing, oblivious to my problems.

What the heck? Aren't they paid to serve my every whim and be present for me? Of course, if they follow me down an aisle, I will scream PROFILING because they must think I am a thief.

This place is so funny! Thanks for the laugh!

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    whats the old saying? walk a mile in a man's shoes.....you're assuming way too much imo

It may be a vital or necessary part of the job, which is what I am asking. The idea of theft prevention is good. I'm more or less asking what would cause them to be sitting there talking.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I went to Wally World the other day to buy a piece of cheap Chinese junk but the price was not on the item. I walked FIVE aisles in search of an employee, all the while dodging speeding shopping carts and snotty nose kids, only to see SIX employees sitting in a lounge chatting and laughing, oblivious to my problems.

Yes, dodging drunk drivers is a reason to mock and laugh. No one is ever killed or seriously maimed looking for a price at Walmart, but drunks kill or seriously hurt people every weekend.

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    Yes, dodging drunk drivers is a reason to mock and laugh. No one is ever killed or seriously maimed looking for a price at Walmart, but drunks kill or seriously hurt people every weekend.

EVER Alan, Are you sure about that??? Wal Mart has "incidents" from time to time or so has been previously seen on the news...

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Don't know about the cops but checkpoints are not allowed in Texas

And I praise the foresight of the Texas court system for it regularly!! They start out as DUI checkpoints, then they're DUI and safety inspection checkpoints, then it's DUI, safety and identification checkpoints! Oh, and they're going to check your registration and insurance, too...

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    It may be a vital or necessary part of the job, which is what I am asking. The idea of theft prevention is good. I'm more or less asking what would cause them to be sitting there talking.

I think ChunkyMonkey gave ya one scenario.....there's so many more that'd be as sensible. Might even be that they were setting up a raid, etc. - just impossible to say for sure.

Top Bottom