Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Ok folks, here's my proposal for our first semi-official meet:

Date: Sunday, October 19th.
    Time: 10am to noon(?)

Each person will need to check in at the main office to pay the ASC range fees and buy TWO extra targets. (Each range fee includes one target, a total of three targets will be needed.) We'll have a designated meeting spot where you'll check in with me/us/whomever and get the challenges for that day.

Proposed challenges:

1. 25 yard off-hand; 25 shots
    2. 50 yard bench: 50 shots
    3. 100 yard bench: 25 shots

Since we have to work within the range's "cease fire" timetable and "no rapid fire" rule I don't think we should worry about any challenges that require being timed this go 'round. Maybe we'll be able to figure out how to incorporate speed/timed challenges without getting into trouble as we get into things.

Please, speak up and let me know what you think about the proposed first meet of the Rimfire Range Rats, Rimfire Rat Rangers, or whatever we want to call this thing.
    Military Camp

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Some of my favorites:

Free downloadable targets for 6mm BR Norma and 6BR benchrest and Long Distance shooting. Targets for 100 to 1000 yards and varmint hunting.

Good luck. I really tried to pump rimfire hard around TGT not too long ago. It was all good until decent 22 ammo went north of $100 for a brick. I love me some rimfire. I've been wanting to replace the scope on the Anschutz and get it out.

Now that 22 is commonplace, at least where I work, I don't think it should pose much of a problem for those that own 22 rifles and have a gander nearby. We've had 22 every day I've worked for about the last month or longer.

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    Ok folks, here's my proposal for our first semi-official meet:

Date: Sunday, October 19th.
    Time: 10am to noon(?)

Each person will need to check in at the main office to pay the ASC range fees and buy TWO extra targets. (Each range fee includes one target, a total of three targets will be needed.) We'll have a designated meeting spot where you'll check in with me/us/whomever and get the challenges for that day.

Proposed challenges:

1. 25 yard off-hand; 25 shots
    2. 50 yard bench: 50 shots
    3. 100 yard bench: 25 shots

Since we have to work within the range's "cease fire" timetable and "no rapid fire" rule I don't think we should worry about any challenges that require being timed this go 'round. Maybe we'll be able to figure out how to incorporate speed/timed challenges without getting into trouble as we get into things.

Please, speak up and let me know what you think about the proposed first meet of the Rimfire Range Rats, Rimfire Rat Rangers, or whatever we want to call this thing.

Sounds good to me ,I'am in.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Seeing as only "308nato" is the only one who has spoken up, and unless I get some more feedback and responses, I'm guessing this Sunday is a bust.

I'm going to hit the "Zombie Plinkathon" at Bayou Rifles on Saturday morning and hopefully meet up with "Markbo", a 10/22 über-customizer from Rimfire Central at some point during the weekend. Maybe "308nato" and I will just meet up on Sunday morning and have a duel (by score of course!).

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    It is rare that I am out of town on the weekend, and unfortunately this is one of them.

Have fun with whatever shakes out.

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    Seeing as only "308nato" is the only one who has spoken up, and unless I get some more feedback and responses, I'm guessing this Sunday is a bust.

I'm going to hit the "Zombie Plinkathon" at Bayou Rifles on Saturday morning and hopefully meet up with "Markbo", a 10/22 über-customizer from Rimfire Central at some point during the weekend. Maybe "308nato" and I will just meet up on Sunday morning and have a duel (by score of course!).

OK see you on sunday.
    Will be in a green Dodge quad cab , longbed.

Last edited:

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    "308nato" and I met up today for a trial run on the Rimfire Rangers meet.

Right off the bat, 308 forgot his 10/22 magazines at home (d'oh!) but managed to pick up a three-pack of the 10-rounders from the Academy just down the street before I even got there.

Side note: 308 showed me an old orange box of CCI MiniMags with the K-Mart price tag of $2.99. Sure wish I could find some at that price!

We started off on the 25 yard lanes for a little off-hand work with the standard ASC targets (10 ring is 2" in diameter, each other ring 1" out from the previous ring).

I was wobbling around all over the place but got myself settled near the end of the 25 shots. 308 said his scope was shooting a little low and left so he had to use some hold-over to try to compensate. Out of a possible 250 points 308 got a 226 and I got a 225. First round to 308!

Next we managed to get a single bench on the 50 yard lanes and set up a few targets for some bench work. I shot first and felt pretty good about my shots, but 308 was having a hard time with things. Unfortunately he was running an inexpensive Tasco 4x 15mm scope and couldn't see the dots so well, plus the shots were landing a bit all over the place.

We spent the next round with a few fresh targets to try to get his scope zeroed correctly. With him shooting and me spotting shots we started to get close and then it would jump way off. I watched as he tried to make an adjustment and saw the scope shift in the mounts! Once we got the mounts locked down tight we were able to get things sighted in a bit better.

Since we spent a bit of time getting 308's scope figured out we weren't worried about competing any more and so we just tried out each other's rifles. I think I've got 308 sold on a trigger job for his 10/22 (and a new scope could be in his near future too).

Anyway, we had a bit of fun and camaraderie at the range on a nice day. Can't beat that.

Last edited:

.22Texan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2014
    West Houston
    I am interested in joining a rimfire group at ASC. Im competing in my first rimfire sniper competition next month in Hallettsville. It would be great to meet some local people that are interested in this sport. I live 7 miles from ASC. What can I do to help get a group together?

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Hey 22Texan,

First off, welcome to the forum!

Secondly, please tell me about this "rimfire sniper competition". It sounds very interesting!

Thirdly, I'm not sure how you can help because I don't even know what I'm doing myself! :clown:

If you haven't read this thread from the beginning it may help you understand where we are and what I'm trying to get started. If you have any suggestions, recommendations, or ideas please speak up as I will take all the help I can get.

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    Had a great time today at ASC with acorneau and as he said I need a trigger job on my 10/22 as it is factory stock.
    Shooting his was a big difference like nite and day , what a tack driver.
    Thanks for the links for parts and ways to get mine a better shooter.

.22Texan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2014
    West Houston
    More info on rimfire sniper:
    Test Skills in Rimfire ?Sniper? Matches within AccurateShooter.com

The sniper match I am competing in is a combination of some of the stages in the link above and some custom stages. An example of a custom stage is a steel pig silhouette that travels across a dry creek bed. The shooter stands in the creek bed. The pig travels very fast from one bank to the other. The shooter has a very short window to take a shot. The guy that is hosting the match has some really good ideas.

Can any of you meet during the week?

I noticed Bayou Rifels is not accepting new applicants. I'm very disappointed in this since I work very close to Julif and I live close to Addicks. I was a member a few years ago but I did not renew my membership because I was not using the range. Big mistake on my part. I think Julif would be a great place to have a match (less pressure than ASC)

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Can any of you meet during the week?

Not me.

I noticed Bayou Rifels is not accepting new applicants. I'm very disappointed in this since I work very close to Julif and I live close to Addicks. I was a member a few years ago but I did not renew my membership because I was not using the range. Big mistake on my part.

Damn, that sucks. Membership is full and the waiting list has been full/closed for a while now. I'd love to be a member there but looks like it will be years until I even get a chance to get on the waiting list.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Just started reading this thread and would like to join in. Will keep watching and try to make next get to gather.

Mike I

Hey Mike, glad to have you on board.

Please feel free to make any suggestions you might have to help get this thing off the ground.

marks_a18138

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2010
    edinburg
    I know this is old thread, hope there are some members still watching it....for you .22 rimfire guys here i a new competition we are shooting in south Texas... It's called the 22 Marksmanship challenge. It will be shot in Houston for the first time on 1-15-17...[FONT]22LR Marksmen Challenge RGV[/FONT]
    [FONT]Dust off your .22LR rifle and join the fun on 01/15/17 - Houston - Roseberg area.[/FONT]
    [FONT]Click the link below to sign up:[/FONT]
    https://practiscore.com/22lr-marksmen-challenge-rgv/register

Top Bottom