• subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    Houston Crew - and points northward - meet n shoot. Sept 2013

I want to go, but I'm only in the US the first two weekends in September.....

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I'm in. Agreeable to any date.

BTW, is this the range that faces straight east so that until about noon you're looking into the sun?

ETA - Anybody need 9mm? I'll have extra on hand for use at the range.

Last edited:

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    LoL. I've heard of gun snobs but never range snobs, at least until Ben.:p How about faces southest?

aerialview_zps53f53c44.jpg

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    My apologies.

I built a temporary range for use during a U.S. Olympic team qualifier back in the 1980s. The Target Officer and Chief Range Officer both talked all kinds of smack about how my turning targets didn't flip fast enough and they'd have to convene an official Jury if any records were set. I had to build the air range, too, and I got no end of complaints that the benches were too high. They were within the rules but a couple of inches higher than most other ranges. So I know what it's like to be on the receiving end of unwarranted snobbery and, please believe me, I meant nothing of the kind. The place looks lovely.

And if I don't like the location of the sun, it's no problem a long-billed hat can't solve. ;)

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    My apologies.

... snip ...

And if I don't like the location of the sun, it's no problem a long-billed hat can't solve. ;)
    C'mon now, you know I didn't take any offense. :-) What would you consider the optimum direction? I mean depending on time of year, there's always going to an issue with the sun.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Labor Day "weekend" is really the last weekend in August so that's not really a factor.

Most responses are by far 'any Saturday' but in a nut shell we have:
    3 "No" for the 21st
    1 "No" for the 28th

The H.G.C.A. show at Reliant is Sept 14-15, however I always preferred hitting gun shows on the last day in hopes of a better deal. Not that it ever worked in my favor. :( lol

There is still plenty of time to get more shooters on board for the meet.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    What would you consider the optimum direction? I mean depending on time of year, there's always going to an issue with the sun.
    Generally speaking, a few degrees off north. There are formulas for figuring it out depending on latitude. It's possible to have a range situated where for most of the year the sun comes up on your right, sets on your left, and seems to stay just a few degrees behind the firing line all day long.

Of course, it's always possible to build a range so sheltered that the issue goes away. The far berm on this range is at 200 meters. I don't know what direction it points and, because of the construction, I don't think it matters. ;)

IMG_9443_002_zps863efa7a.jpg

That picture (and the web site of the range it belongs to) has inspired me to revive that old thread on nice ranges. If I can find it, look for a necro-post shortly.

Top Bottom