• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    In my opinion, no. We went two years ago, and it's about the same drive (3.5 hrs) from SA as it is from Hemphill. I couldn't have been any more disappointed. For one, the gouge you on parking, something like $7 which had we not driven so far I would've turned around and gone right back home.

Secondly, we had to wait a while to get in. They should have been better prepared, especially since they claim it's the largest show in Texas.

But the most disappointing factor was the show itself. There were a lot of vendors there, but we couldn't find a good deal on anything! I have never seen so many overpriced firearms, and while I was told it was a great place to find deals, I didn't see one. I ended up grabbing my first Mosin (which started that slippery slope) there, a basic 91/30 with a round receiver and the usual accessories for $99 (which wasn't a bad price), just so I would have something for the seven hours we were on the road. It was the best bargain I saw at the show.
    Now, a caveat, this was while the Obama gun scare phenomenon was still raging, so that may have been a contributing factor; but I was told it used to be “the place” to buy guns and that just wasn’t the case.

Maybe if it was within an hour or so of here, but there is no way I am gonna drive that far when we have a decent monthly gun show here in SA!

Your situation and/or experience may be different, but that's mine for what it's worth!

Cheers! M2

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Depends what your expectations are, if you are looking for a specific item to buy, a random good deal, or just looking.

Some people put the price of parking and entry fee on the price of the item they're buying and I budget it on my entertainment column.

I go to look at lots of guns in one place. Every once in a while I see something rare or new to me or learn something new. I have a bunch of odd ball guns I keep an eye out for friends and family if a private seller happens to have one.

I have a budget to snag a "great deal" gun to increase my collection though keeping, trade or sale.

jtriron

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    HoustonTexas
    I have got bored with the gun shows @ the GRB / and may go to this one if my shooting partner will come and split the parking fee. But finding a great deal there is just a crap shoot IMO.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    IMHO HGCA shows are the biggest rip off around. Sure there are thousands of overpriced guns and you must pay for parking, entry and after two to three hours of walking around have almost nothing to show for it. You can get a fair deal from a private sale but the vendors that sell at local small shows seem to jack their prices up for this show. What I dislike the most is that gun shows use to be the place to haggle, work a deal and trade. Now they seem to be kiosks for local stores. They won't swap guns, or even take the tax off. Usually it's MSRP plus Tax!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Houston
    The Reliant shows are the largest in the Houston area.
    You get a better variety of vendors and there are some that only do the gun collector shows.
    If you are looking for the hard to find parts, the Reliant show is the one you will most likely find them.
    Gun show sales are down nationwide so prices will be also.
    Except for inflation, the prices will be much lower than a couple of years ago. I would say 2006 pricing. Ammo, for the most part is cheaper also, especially .223/5.56

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    I like the show. The prices are cheaper than I can buy guns for at most gun shops, unless I buy online.

As for the lines - someone seems to forget that after Obama got elected, the lines at gunshows were unreal. I started to GET there 2 hours early, to geta good spot in line at the Reliant Center and George Brown shows... And even then, I was still #10-15 in line. The lines were outrageous at the shows for about a year.

I plan to be there this weekend.,

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I like it. We have been going since the good ole days at the Astrohall when it was about 3x the size it is today. Like Martinus_Turonis said, good source for parts. Lately I have found that if you compare the prices, gun shows are a little more responsive to the current market conditions than are the stores. They also seem to have the latest products available. I am talking about things like the 100 round beta mag knockoffs from Korea, newest extended .45 acp Glock magazines, etc.

With the Reliant show there will usually be a lot of historical displays and persons of interest signing books etc. Got a copy of "One Ranger" autographed a few shows ago, and got some pictures signed by some notable WWII pilots in the past. If you collect militaria, it's a good show.

Survival and preparedness suppliers are usually fairly well represented there also. If you need to fill out your medical kit, top off your bug out bag, or get some emergency rations and equipment there will be usually a few different sources for that.

If you go to the HGCA site and look for prohibited items, Prohibited Merchandise - Gun Show Rules you will see what they don't want there. However you will find just about everything on the list in one form or another, LOL.

I like it as a source for hard to find parts and accessories. There will be usually a number of people there that specialize in one gun or a small genre of guns, like the M-1 Carbine guy. If you have a specific problem or issue, there will probably be an expert there that can help, or supply the part.

The trade aspects of it seem to be hit or miss. I've traded some stuff and got a good deal, other times I was not so lucky.

If you make the drive, do it in such a way that you leave yourself a lot of time to be able to leisurely walk the show and not be rushed. I find them beneficial on a number of levels. Carry a few index cards and a pen to make notes on, and don't be afraid to respectfully haggle with the dealers on their wares.

Good Luck,

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I went last year and got in free by adding a year to my NRA membership. (was gonna do that anyway) Don't know if that offer is good at every show. Had I not gotten in free I'd have left unhappy. In the '90s it was the place for a deal. Now it seems that there are no deals. You can usually fing Mosins for under $100 everywhere. I guess its okay if you just want to hold that "hot new gun" in your hand, but I did not see any any deals if I want to own it. This year I guess I will support my local shops if I decide to buy something. From what I see, there are better and many more dealers in Austin and San Antonio than in Houston. And that may be part of the reason the "big" show here doesn't seem to have any "big" deals. As for me I enjoy the Hill Country much more than the old astroworld parking lot.

cseale86

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    East Houston
    It's basically the same Pasadena show just not packed into a one bedroom apartment.If you don't get at the GRB plenty early parking can be up to $10 and the entry fee is $10 per person instead of $8

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    I remember 30 years ago when that show was at the Albert Thomas Convention Center and attracted a LOT of national vendors - I was a very little kid that liked guns. I remember 20 years ago when it was at the Astro Hall and still attracted a lot of national vendors as it was one of the largest shows in the country. Now it's barely worth the drive - and I'm less than 15 minutes away!

Eli

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas

It's basically the same Pasadena show just not packed into a one bedroom apartment.If you don't get at the GRB plenty early parking can be up to $10 and the entry fee is $10 per person instead of $8​

NO IT'S NOT.

The one this weekend is at Reliant, and not GRB. It's the Houston Gun Collectors Association. The big show. Those at Pasadena and the GRB are trade shows by "High Caliber" and "Real Gun Show" promotion companies. Totally different thing. This one only happens 3 times a year.

SiVisPacem

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Austin ASAP
    Ok, I just looked at the lists of prohibited items and items not allowed to be sold. So, you can't sell Tannerite, hats, shirts, or chem lights? The Tannerite I can understand, sort of, if they're concerned about the safety issue, or if their insurance provider made them agree to it. But, no selling gun-related clothes? What's wrong with selling chem lights? They have a justifiable use for survival and / or camping. It sounds to me like the promoters are trying to avoid the flea market vibe that prevails at a large number of gun shows, but they're really taking it to an extreme.

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    We are going to be in Houston this weekend anyway so the drive doesn't matter. Was just wondering if they had enough booths and vendors to be worth attending.

cseale86

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    East Houston
    NO IT'S NOT.

The one this weekend is at Reliant, and not GRB. It's the Houston Gun Collectors Association. The big show. Those at Pasadena and the GRB are trade shows by "High Caliber" and "Real Gun Show" promotion companies. Totally different thing. This one only happens 3 times a year.

If you say so man it's still alot of the same overpriced vendors from the high caliber gun show just with a different name.

bwdilli

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2008
    I mainly go for the older classic guns. I usually am not looking at the new stuff. I find the HGCA show to be the best in Houston. I always find at least a deal or two that I just can't leave without. As with anything you have to know what you're looking at and be ready to haggle.

The other thing to look at is where for under $20 can you people watch, handle all the guns you can, and see the guests that are there? Not a bad days entertainment.

I also usually take the trade fodder or guns I don't shoot and try to sell them. Usually get what I'm asking for them. I've found the best deals are with the guys walking around or private party tables. They're there you just have to look.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'll be there.

You want a deal? Buy into a table and get a vendor badge! It works for me more often than not. ;) I'll only be there Saturday since I have to be back at work in San Antonio on Monday morning. The table I share is usually near the front door, off to the right. Look for a guy selling a Belgian FAL and some other way over-expensive rifles and you've found the right group of tables. Ask for me (first name Mike, but there are two Mikes - use my last name) and you'll probably find me.

First person that finds me can have my vendor badge for Sunday. I've had guys drop prices unasked, had sales tax dropped from ammo, etc. because of the badge.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Houston Armory will be there with a good seleciton of suppressors. I will be flying in Friday night from a week at ShotShow in Vegas and gettgin up early for the HGCA show.

Hope to see everyone.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Man, must be nice...plus, it explains why I couldn't reach you via phone this morning. I got the $$$ burning a hole in my pocket, so looking to get a trust put together and see what Houston Armory has on hand.

Have a safe flight back!!

Steven C.

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    I like it. We have been going since the good ole days at the Astrohall when it was about 3x the size it is today.

Yes, I went a couple of times in the late 1990s - and I thought it had been much larger. I remember spending over 2 hours to get from 1 end to the other the very first time I went. I looked at each and every table.

Top Bottom