• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rio grande

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Visited a Pawn One yesterday here in Houston, found a nice Savage Rifle/Shotgun. Wanted to look at it. First had to hand over my ID, no problem. Gun had a gun lock of course.
    Asked them to remove gun lock so I could check the action.
    THEY NOW WILL NOT REMOVE THE GUN LOCK. You cannot check the action before you purchase.
    Visited another Pawn One today. Nice Ruger Service-Six, pre-warning. I would have certainly bought it.
    Asked them to remove gun lock so I could check action. They would not.
    They said that is the 'new policy', they had an 'incident'.
    Now I don't know about you guys, but I would never buy a used gun without checking the action (gently, no dry-firing even, unless I asked first), checking bore condition, etc.
    I asked for the number of headquarters, they said I could leave them my contact info and they would 'have someone get back to me'. Of course they can make any policy they want, it's their business. But I don't have to do my business there.
    I left my info, and we'll see.
    It's very sad we have fewer and fewer places to find guns and ammo for sale.
    Capitol Armory ad

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    You really need to dry fire the gun to know if it's worth buying. Things like cylinder lockup. Pawl movement, sear engagement not to mention mechanical operation require you roll the cylinder and test the weapon. None of which you can do with a trigger lock on the gun. I don't buy guns at Wally World, Academy, pawn shops or any discount gun stores. Any real gun store will remove a lock. Yes you do have to pay more but you get a knolegable salesman and not a drone with a brass key.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Pretty stupid policy if you ask me ... I won't buy a gun I can't get a feel for, and with a used gun it's even more vital since you have no real warranty to support you if the gun is defective.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Clark loaded his own ammo into the weapon with the store employee’s approval.Clark left the store, turned and fired at the employee.
    Officials say the employee returned fire, killing Clark.

With approval, anyone else see fault there?

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    I remember reading that a while ago. I don't care who you are, you aren't loading a pistol in a pawn shop, my living room, garage, man cave or other.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    If that was the case, what is their return policy? I would inspect the pistol/rifle, if satisfied, I'd purchase. They'd then remove the lock, I'd tell them I'm going to check the action, obviously no ammo. If I'm not satisfied then and there, simply hand them the gun back stating you want a return, lol. Unless it was a really good steal, I would simply go buy elsewhere and forget the headache. If the policy is based on that incident, that's dumb. It would have happened either way and still won't revent future incidents.

rio grande

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Their store, their rules. Much like gun ranges, if you disagree, then go elsewhere.

I just don't think it warrants two threads here and a post on TexasGunTrader!

I think so. Because they need to understand how just plain dumb that policy is. It should affect their bottom line.
    Also because this kind of policy could spread, how would you like that? And also because it is insulting to potential buyers, and because this kind of 'safety first above all other considerations' mentality leads to other infringements and controls.
    And because it pissed me off.
    I was a longtime customer, and I WILL go elsewhere.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Sorry man, like I said it's their store so it's their rules, and I don't see how it's a "dumb" policy. If they feel it's necessary for their safety and the safety of their customers, then so be it. You can show your disagreement by spending your money somewhere else, heck you can even let the management there know why you won't drop any cash on their counter; but numerous threads and posting on TGT seems a bit excessive...

Honestly, I understand why they may have this policy and don't disagree with it. I am also one of those who see the necessity of invoking 30.06 at gun shows. Anytime you have people handling firearms, especially people you don't know, you are taking a risk. We've had a AD at the local gun show last year, luckily no one was hurt but it just shows that despite the rules there's always a chance that someone ignores them and a loaded weapon is put on the table.

Hell, I get upset when I get muzzle swept at shows and shops, it's poor discipline no matter what the situation and I would much rather have things excessively safe than forgo that element of security just so people can manipulate firearms.

But again, let the shop know how you feel and then move on...

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Just quit dealing with them. Most of the pawn shops have prices that are more than new/retail anyway. I wouldn't miss them at all.

Flash

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    It's like looking at a car that is for sale and not letting you even start it up.......

ADRidge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    Lewisville
    That is pretty dumb, but it's their house and their rules. Don't like it? Take your money elsewhere. Something tells me you can find another Savage somewhere in Houston. Just sayin...

johnsecurity

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    Watauga, Texas
    Seems down their, in Texas......"Houston ! We have a problem !"
    Part of the article.....<<Clark loaded his own ammo into the weapon with the store employee’s approval.>>
    That's the problem.

Top Bottom