• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    Whoa!!! If a store employee approved it there is a BIG problem with this issue!

I honestly don't think that is how it happened. Go to a pawn shop, look at and buy a firearm and walk out the door with it. That's how it is supposed to work.

It is my guess that guy looked, bought, walked to or toward the door, loaded it AFTER purchase and then got a case of the stupids that cost him his life. Most pawn shop workers know how to handle, if not deploy a firearm. It's like selling most anything else. Protocols to sell are in place. Not saying that these protocols are 100% effective, but this scenario seems misrepresented.

The pawn shop is allowed put whatever policies in place they want. Shop or don't shop. Vote/endorse with your wallet.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've field stripped used guns in the store before buying them (after asking, of course). There's no way I'm going to buy a used gun without checking the action out and probably doing a function check.

Kingsnake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Houston
    Last month Circle Pawn graciously allowed me to do a full strip on a clean Norinco 1911 to examine component parts right there on the counter. My own SOP requires a thorough examination of any used firearm prior to purchase, and have so far (after asking permission) never been denied anywhere.

I subsequently walked out with the pistol for $350 cash and now have a solid base gun for my next 1911 project.

Taking into consideration the high number of idiots on both sides of the counter, your Pawn Shop is clearly replacing proper supervision and common sense with a drastic policy that will likely send serious shooters and their money elsewhere.

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    So I guess if they sell you a defective weapon can you sue them if it blows up in your hand? Probably not a good idea to buy from them... I'm sure the gangbangers and straw purchasers won't care about the policy too much...

speaking of used guns... I saw a USED GSG-5 at Cabela's on Thursday that had a $600 price on it... WOW, that is MORE than I paid new for my 1st Aniv. edition and theirs was a used regular one... I wonder how long it will take to sell that one???

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    Just read this in the comments on the article... AWESOME!!!

alankey said on September 6, 2010 at 9:36 AM
    Reeferbob : So if someone gave them a story about a fish riding a bicycle down I45 they would just print it without doing any fact finding or verification of the facts? Let us face it KHOU have so little talent when it comes to reporting news that it makes for such compelling reading. It is like watching a train wreck, totally awful but you just can't take your eyes off it!

rio grande

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Over 10 days now and no response from Pawn One's corporate office.
    I was assured when I left my contact info with the manager that they would "get back" to me.
    I think I will visit them again to see if the policy still holds.

I visited Tomball Pawn for the first time Saturday. A long drive but worth it. Lots of firearms, not cheap but fair. Tons of 1911's.
    VERY friendly salespeople, like the one who told me that Pawn One policy was like "buying a car without starting the engine first".
    Since I am not shopping at Pawn One, I'm finding out about more and better places.
    Sorry Pawn One.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Seems down their, in Texas......"Houston ! We have a problem !"
    Part of the article.....<<Clark loaded his own ammo into the weapon with the store employee’s approval.>>
    That's the problem.

Again, there was no approval, a very good friend of mine was the shooter, once the grand jury is done and with his permission I will gladly share the story...

rio grande

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Again, there was no approval, a very good friend of mine was the shooter, once the grand jury is done and with his permission I will gladly share the story...

Ok, some nut or criminal comes into the shop and loads a gun he asked to look at. Tries to rob the store or whatever.

So from now on no one can remove the gun lock to check an action or look at the breech face or ramp or otherwise
    properly examine the gun before purchase. Never mind Pawn One already has a policy that the customer must give
    up his driver's license before being handed the gun. (I've no problem with that.)
    If other businesses adopt this policy we will not (for all practical purposes) be able to purchase firearms in hundreds of locations.
    No knowledgeable person would buy a used firearm under those restrictions.
    Once again, Pawn One has every right to run their business as they see fit.
    We also have a right to complain about it and/or shop elsewhere.

OG3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2011
    Houston
    ...I don't buy guns at Wally World, Academy, pawn shops or any discount gun stores. Any real gun store will remove a lock. Yes you do have to pay more but you get a knowledgeable salesman and not a drone with a brass key.

I know for sure Academy will not remove the gun locks on their weapons at least the three I frequent.

mkburden

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    HUNT COUNTY TEXAS
    Sorry man, like I said it's their store so it's their rules, and I don't see how it's a "dumb" policy. If they feel it's necessary for their safety and the safety of their customers, then so be it. You can show your disagreement by spending your money somewhere else, heck you can even let the management there know why you won't drop any cash on their counter; but numerous threads and posting on TGT seems a bit excessive...

Honestly, I understand why they may have this policy and don't disagree with it. I am also one of those who see the necessity of invoking 30.06 at gun shows. Anytime you have people handling firearms, especially people you don't know, you are taking a risk. We've had a AD at the local gun show last year, luckily no one was hurt but it just shows that despite the rules there's always a chance that someone ignores them and a loaded weapon is put on the table.

Hell, I get upset when I get muzzle swept at shows and shops, it's poor discipline no matter what the situation and I would much rather have things excessively safe than forgo that element of security just so people can manipulate firearms.

But again, let the shop know how you feel and then move on...

You make me want to start another thread. If the thread doesn't interest you, dont read it. I mean its a forum, if you have a problem with the post let him know and in your words...move on.

Caplock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Pawn One gun policy

I have bought and sold a number of guns with Pawn One at all of their locations and have never had a problem. If you know what your talking about and don't look or act suspicious most of the employees are very helpful. And if they can't help you ask for the manager. After talking with you and if they feel your ok they will be happy to help you. However if you come across an ass they will not and rightfuly so. There are many high end gun stores that want to hold on to your TDL while you handle their weapon. As far as dry firing try it at Houston Gun Exchange they may run you out of the store. Many tables at the gun shows are the same. It's mostly a matter of you and how you present yourself.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I agree, vote with your feet. If I were an employee I'd draw on a customer that produced ammo or a magazine too. Pawn-one can suck eggs. I'll not trade there.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I have bought and sold a number of guns with Pawn One at all of their locations and have never had a problem. If you know what your talking about and don't look or act suspicious most of the employees are very helpful. And if they can't help you ask for the manager. After talking with you and if they feel your ok they will be happy to help you. However if you come across an ass they will not and rightfuly so. There are many high end gun stores that want to hold on to your TDL while you handle their weapon. As far as dry firing try it at Houston Gun Exchange they may run you out of the store. Many tables at the gun shows are the same. It's mostly a matter of you and how you present yourself.
    How do you like working at Pawn One?

You realize this thread is nearly two years old.

Top Bottom